Hepatitis C Community

RIBAVIRIN DOSE REDUCTION

My doctor reduced my ribavirin dosage on 2/17/10 from 1200 to 600 and prescribed atarax (for the itching) because I was having severe rashes (still am) and he said if it got worse it could jeopardize my treatment . I have acute hepatitis c genotype 2   vl-52,000 I just took my 6th shot Friday. I was negative at 2 weeks and I am set for 24 weeks of treatment.
I was wondering any information you might have regarding svr and the ribavirin dose reduction (i did see a study regarding monotherapy with a viral load of less than 100,000 and genotype 2 here is the link http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19084937
any insight will be greatly appreciated.
thanks
jose
My scenario is similar, except for the dosage (and no reduction).  I've been taking 400 mg 2 times a day (so 800 total each day).  

I had (yes, I am being positive by saying it is past-tense), I had Genotype 2a, and now have only 1 more shot to go and about 10 days of Ribiviron.

I, too, was und at 2 weeks, and soon will be getting another viral count test as I complete the tx.  I was only 383,000 at the start of tx.  I'm pretty sure I've had the virus for 20 years (but no way to know for certain I guess).  I didn't get a biopsy so I don't know what stage of damage to the liver.  I had high ALT/AST, which have come down over the last 6 months, but still not within normal (unless my next test finally brings me there, as I am hoping0.

I'm just wondering why your doctor started  you on 1200 mg a day.   I can't imagine taking that much of this stuff.   I feel like the riba causes more sx than the pegasys.  These pills make me feel horrible.

I have forgotten what it is like to not have a headache...
er, Genotype 2b rather.  (I wish we could edit posts here)
Jose-
I don't know much about ribaviron dose reduction specifically, I know that my GI doc told me that they've done studies and if you take 80% of the meds 80% of the time it shouldn't affect your chances at SVR.
Best of luck, and hope those rashes clear up soon.

cjsam
THE 1200mg dosage is based on weight I weigh 185 lbs which originally put me borderline between 1000mg and 1200mg.
By the way hopefully you will be svr.
best of luck.
Hi Jose, kinda puts you on the spot. Being a geno 2 with such a low viral load and und at week 2 makes it real likely you would become SVR. But cutting you down to 600 this early in tx has to make one wonder if that don't take away the big advantage you have. I wouldn't think a dose of 1000mg would hurt at all and maybe even the old way of doing the standard dose of 800. Myself i would be concerned about doing only 600mg but i'm no doctor and fell strongly against dose reduction.

As for the 80 - 80 rule, med help would delete my post if i said what my heppa thinks about that........ Hang in there, i think the odds will still be in your favor if you can do the 24 weeks at 600mg..... Best to you

can