Hepatitis C Community

RVR results great with 4 week BOC lead-in

KENILWORTH, N.J., November 24, 2008 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Schering-Plough Corporation today provided a clinical update on boceprevir, its lead investigational oral hepatitis C protease inhibitor currently in Phase III development. The company believes boceprevir has the potential to be a first-in-class and best-in-class protease inhibitor for treating chronic hepatitis C. The company also announced that it is developing a highly potent next-generation oral hepatitis C protease inhibitor that has future best-in-class potential. The compound, known as SCH 900518 is currently in Phase IIa clinical development. The update was presented today as part of the company's 2008 R&D Update meeting at its headquarters in Kenilworth, N.J.

"As pioneers in the hepatitis field, our vision is to apply our experience and innovation, as we have in the past, to continue to redefine and improve treatments for chronic hepatitis C, in the near term and in the future," said Thomas P. Koestler, Ph.D., executive vice president and president, Schering-Plough Research Institute.

The company reported for the first time that in a Phase II study, a 48-week boceprevir regimen achieved an unprecedented 75 percent sustained virologic response (SVR) rate at 24 weeks after the end of treatment (SVR 24) in patients who received 4 weeks of PEGINTRON(TM) (peginterferon alfa-2b) and REBETOL(R) (ribavirin, USP) prior to the addition of boceprevir (800 mg TID) (P/R lead-in). This represents a near doubling of the 38 percent SVR 24 rate for patients in the control group receiving 48-weeks of PEGINTRON and REBETOL alone (ITT).(1,2) In a 28-week boceprevir P/R lead-in regimen, the SVR 24 rate was 56 percent. Importantly, for patients who received the boceprevir P/R lead-in regimen and had rapid virologic response (RVR), defined as undetectable virus (HCV-RNA) in plasma after 4 weeks of boceprevir treatment, SVR was 94 percent in the 48 week regimen and 82 percent in the 28-week regimen. RVR has been shown to be a reliable predictor for achieving SVR. These final results are from the HCV SPRINT-1 study in 595 treatment-naive patients with chronic hepatitis C virus (HCV) genotype 1.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Notice the RVR rate with 4 weeks of BOC.... SVR was 94 percent for 48 weeks and 82 percent for 28
Am i dreaming????...pinch me please
I am very excited for my wife for above news...Please check and let me know..
Aung
Burma
That's sounds wonderfull!   Good news for a change!!   Thanks,    -Libby
Great news!  82% for 28wk regimens, that's what I'm hoping for.  good luck with your ongoing journey

aungkyawsan,
Some of us are on this Boceprevir trial, which has been having very promising results.  There's also some others on this forum and they are on a different drug; Telaprevir.  These drugs are used along with the Interferon and Ribavarin, but both are showing very good results in txing for shorter time periods.  Genotypes 1 normally take 48 weeks and that's being taken down to 24wks with the Telaprevir and 28wks with the Boceprevir.  good luck

Such great news!!!  Thanks for posting.

Thanks to those of you taking part in the BOC  studies.  Ya'll are doing alot to make changes in tx for future heppers.  

Isobella
Thanks for the encourangement fretboard
Aung