Hepatitis C Community

Rheumatoid arthritis result of interferon therapy!

I was being treated with peg-intron and rebetol for hep-c type 1a at a university hospital. Minimal scaring affecting a portal tract with good enzyme levels, no cirrhosis. I am only 42 years old and have always been I good shape physically except for the battle with pain and fatigue over the last five years.

Nine weeks into therapy pain in joints, ligaments, and tendons increased in severity to the point where I have become disabled. The hep-c doc stopped the TX, ran blood test said my RA factor and Sed rate were very high. Claims rheumatoid arthritis must have been an underling disorder and that peg-intron pushed me into full-blown Rheumatoid arthritis. Now he wants me to see a rheumatoligist. I have been off the peg combo for going on five weeks now. Has anyone else heard of a case like this before?
There have been some days when I have been unable to get dressed. So far I've been able to take care of myself at home, but at times I have needed friends to pick up scripts and transport me to the Doc.

I'm concerned that an arthritis doc is unlikely to prescribe the
heavy duty pain meds that are needed to allow me to function until a better answer is found. They usually use anti- inflammatory, non-steroids, steroids and immunosuppressive type drugs.  I'm currently taking prednisone, naproxen as well as oxy and hydrocodone. They are not strong enough to allow me to sleep or function without extremely bad pain. The only thing that has helped has been high dose morphine from the emergency room. Of course none of this is can be helping my liver much. Immune drugs are a no