Hepatitis C Community

Ribavirin Absorption Studies

Has anyone read/heard of these studies?  I was reading several different sources of information that indicate a 46% increase in Ribavirin absorption with a fatty meal.

One is here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1804105/

The above study also indicates that lean body weight has an impact on levels in the blood.

I'm in my first week of triple tx with Incivek so my morning dose of RBV is taken with the fatty meal for that.  It's the evening dose that I am not taking with a fatty snack because of the difference in the 8 hour /12 hour dosing schedule.

It seems it may be worthwile to take with a fatty meal, but if lean body mass decreases (due to weight gain from all the fat calories) blood levels are negatively affected.
Try not to over think it, but yes riba absorbtion is increased when taken with fat but it doesn't have to be as much as with INC. Just to ease your mind I am in a study of concentration controlled ribavirin dosing and not once has the hep c research team at UC Denver told me to take riba with fat only I take it with food to avoid nausea but they have stongly suggested I take INC with at least 20 gms of fat
I have read several reliable medical sources that have stated that Ribavirin is absorbed better (and more of the medication is available to fight the Hep C virus) if taken with a high fat meal. Therefore I have been taking my Ribavirin with a high fat meal. At 6 pm a person could eat a light meal and then drink a cup of eggnog. That would get the fat in without getting stuffed with food again at 6 pm (after just eating at 2 pm). I figure I can use the extra 46% of drugs working hard to kill this virus.
This is some data I had stored on disk from a couple of years ago. From Schering-Plough (Merck) PEG-Intron prescribing info:

http://www.spfiles.com/pipeg-intron.pdf

Effect of food on absorption of ribavirin:

Both AUC and C-MAX increased by seventy percent when Rebetol Capsules were administered with a high fat meal: (841 kcal, 53.8 g fat, 31.6 g protein, and 57.4 g carbohydrate) in a single-dose pharmacokinetic study.
"if taken with a high fat meal."

Do the studies give any idea what they consider a high fat meal as with INC where they state that absorbtion is increased from around a 120% to 232% by eating a 531 cal meal containing 21 gms of fat
53.8 g  ... ..good thing that is only for folks doing the one dose Riba therapy :0
Your a wealth of info,never cease to amaze me