Aa
A
A
A
Close
Hepatitis C Community
13.4k Members

Ribavirin Absorption Studies

Has anyone read/heard of these studies?  I was reading several different sources of information that indicate a 46% increase in Ribavirin absorption with a fatty meal.

One is here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1804105/

The above study also indicates that lean body weight has an impact on levels in the blood.

I'm in my first week of triple tx with Incivek so my morning dose of RBV is taken with the fatty meal for that.  It's the evening dose that I am not taking with a fatty snack because of the difference in the 8 hour /12 hour dosing schedule.

It seems it may be worthwile to take with a fatty meal, but if lean body mass decreases (due to weight gain from all the fat calories) blood levels are negatively affected.
11 Responses
1747881 tn?1546179478
Try not to over think it, but yes riba absorbtion is increased when taken with fat but it doesn't have to be as much as with INC. Just to ease your mind I am in a study of concentration controlled ribavirin dosing and not once has the hep c research team at UC Denver told me to take riba with fat only I take it with food to avoid nausea but they have stongly suggested I take INC with at least 20 gms of fat
1815939 tn?1377995399
I have read several reliable medical sources that have stated that Ribavirin is absorbed better (and more of the medication is available to fight the Hep C virus) if taken with a high fat meal. Therefore I have been taking my Ribavirin with a high fat meal. At 6 pm a person could eat a light meal and then drink a cup of eggnog. That would get the fat in without getting stuffed with food again at 6 pm (after just eating at 2 pm). I figure I can use the extra 46% of drugs working hard to kill this virus.
87972 tn?1322664839
This is some data I had stored on disk from a couple of years ago. From Schering-Plough (Merck) PEG-Intron prescribing info:

http://www.spfiles.com/pipeg-intron.pdf

Effect of food on absorption of ribavirin:

Both AUC and C-MAX increased by seventy percent when Rebetol Capsules were administered with a high fat meal: (841 kcal, 53.8 g fat, 31.6 g protein, and 57.4 g carbohydrate) in a single-dose pharmacokinetic study.
1747881 tn?1546179478
"if taken with a high fat meal."

Do the studies give any idea what they consider a high fat meal as with INC where they state that absorbtion is increased from around a 120% to 232% by eating a 531 cal meal containing 21 gms of fat
53.8 g  ... ..good thing that is only for folks doing the one dose Riba therapy :0
1747881 tn?1546179478
Your a wealth of info,never cease to amaze me
Have an Answer?
Top Hepatitis Answerers
317787 tn?1473362051
DC
683231 tn?1467326617
Auburn, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Answer a few simple questions about your Hep C treatment journey.

Those who qualify may receive up to $100 for their time.
Explore More In Our Hep C Learning Center
image description
Learn about this treatable virus.
image description
Getting tested for this viral infection.
image description
3 key steps to getting on treatment.
image description
4 steps to getting on therapy.
image description
What you need to know about Hep C drugs.
image description
How the drugs might affect you.
image description
These tips may up your chances of a cure.
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.