Hepatitis C Community

Ribavirin Dosage

Am I  the only one on here taking 1,200 mgs of ribavirin, who is going thru Triple Tx?  I keep noticing people mentioning lower dosages.
   I have heard of smaller people taking less, and I am 5'9'', 160 pounds, but I think my Doctor is prescribing this same amount for most of the people in my home group, that I've talked to.
There is a ribavirin wt based dosing schedule in table 1 and 2, just follow the link

http://www.gene.com/gene/products/information/pegasys/pdf/copegus_pi.pdf
Your proper dose would be 1000 mg per day (2 morning 3 at night). If you're using the Pegintron Redipen for the IF injection your colour should probably be pink.
Unless I'm mistaken and triple tx dosing is different than SOC, dosage is weight based.
This is why different people take different amounts.
I weigh 210 and take 600 mg; original was 1200; reduced for hgb counts.
I am 5'7" with starting weight of 160lbs and I was kept at 1200mg/day throughout treatment. Kinda wished they would have lowered it with all the side effects I had, but didn't ask.
-BG - you could easily drop go 1000 based on the guidelines -- maybe you should since you have anemia

105kg (>231)          1400

I am actually a little overdosed at 1200 too, but would prefer to stay there if at all possible.  Right now my hgb has been under 10 for 3 weeks even with procrit, so my doctor may drop me down some.

jillybean -- looks like you could have dropped  to 1000 and be within the guidelines too

bean
I am 6ft and 340, started at 1400mg, my hgb was dropping over 2pts every two weeks so we backed off to1200mg.
My hepadoc said that even though dropping Ribavarin did not impact the majority of SVR results for 1st timers, he has seen in his patients a few that were non or partial reposnders hit UND week 4-8 and then see it come back in the 30-40 week range who reduced Ribavarin. I will refuse to go below 1200mg, if it means Procrit so be it, I will ive with that and all sides for a better chance to clear.
Dave
I think OH is on the right track.  I suspect the SOC for Triple may be different.

I'm not sure how reliable the weight based charts in the Riba prescribing info is for those of us on Triple. Aren't you taking Ribasphere Bo? I am taking that med as well and if you look at the chart in the prescribing info it seems like a lot of on Triple are on a high dose based on it ..which is OK by me.

You may have to scroll down:

http://www.drugs.com/dosage/ribasphere.html#id_19c8c463-119b-4508-8f0c-025d525b8fff

-----------------------DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION -----------------------
• 800 mg administered orally three times daily (every 7 to 9 hours)
with food (a meal or light snack). (2)
• VICTRELIS must be administered in combination with peginterferon alfa and ribavirin. (2)
• Refer to peginterferon alfa and ribavirin Package Inserts for specific dosing instructions. (2)

http://www.merck.com/product/usa/pi_circulars/v/victrelis/victrelis_pi.pdf

The recommended dose of REBETOL for use with PegIntron is 800 to 1400 mg orally based on patient body weight. REBETOL should be taken with food. REBETOL should not be used in patients with creatinine clearance less than 50 mL/min.

http://www.spfiles.com/pipeg-intron.pdf

There is a weight based dosing chart in table 1 of the above link
This is what I'm on, (besides the Victrelis):  Pegasys 180MCG/0.5, and then Ribasphere 200 mg tablets, and I'm to take 6 pills per day, spaced out, of course.
  Most people take 3 in the morning and three at night, but my Doctor had me practice being on an "every 8 hr pill schedule", in the 4 week lead in, with the Riba, so when I she introduced the Victrelis, I would be trained to take pills that way, so I take 400 mgs, every 8 hrs, with the Victrelis.
  I am trying to hang tough, with this dosage: my rash went away, when I avoided the sun, so yeah, I am going to buy a bloody parasol. And my anemia does not feel that bad, I'm not too tired, but I try to exercise gently.
  The thing is, I feel great right now, because I just had my Procrit shot (40,000 units per week) but I noticed that burst of energy leaving, after only 4 days last week.
  I am going to have labs ordered, tommorow~ today was shot day, and I've been a wimp about giving myself the injections, so I go into the clinic, and have them do it there.  But I remember the Inf as being in a red redipen~
  Although I am treatment naive, I also had some distressing signs, such as my platelets slipping form 150,000 down to 120,000, within a few months time. Although my biopsy had me a sa Stage 2 Fibrosis, I wouldn't be surprised if I was a Stage 3...so I want to zap the heck out of my virus, on the first try~
   I will read those weight requirements, but let it be known, I'm a few pounds heavier then 160 lbs, now that I'm on treatment..ahem ; /  
Wow Bo, you are a tall drink of water.

I've read your other posts but I still don't get how you still take the same dose of Riba plus the Procrit. I think that is what I would like to do rather than reducing my Riba. 40,000 is the amount the PA ordered for me as well.

On the other hand that Procrit sounds like a real hassle. But the thing is if you feel so much better after you have the shot and a few days after than it must be worth it.
I started at 1200mgs I am 5'1 and 121 at the start of tx, I made it two weeks and went to 8 something on hgb after that it went to 800 then 600 then no riba for a month then up to 400 for a few weeks then back to 200 then a blood transfusion twice, that stuff kicked my butt, and I was und at my 4 week all the way to 24 weeks and will find out my 3 month at the end of this month. Oh yeah and procrit was on that as well which It didn't do a thing for me. My hgb went back to 12, a month after tx.
If your Pharmacy has your Procrit ready to go, then it's not that much of a hassle. My big hassle was getting it Prior Authorized!
   I have to admit, I think having my blood drawn weekly, would be a hassle, but it's been two weeks since my last blood draw, and 6 weeks since I started the Procrit, so tommorow I'm gonna go get a lab slip from my PCP, and head to the lab.  When I find out my current HGB, I will the results on this thread.
   I dont think my Doctor worries as much about me, because I came in to Treatment, on a very healthy diet, and I exercise dailey, dont take any other meds, and have an incredibly slow pulse, and low blood pressure.
   My blood pressure has gone up a bit, but my pulse was 66 today. Someone on here had pointed out to me, that the hemolytic anemia may raise the pulse, so I was happy to see that it was still low.
   I havent had any ill sx, from the Procrit, at 40,000 iu's a week.
I'm on weight based ribavirin, doing the incivek.  Not sure about kilograms, I weigh 155 pounds , so I'm on 1000 mg per day.  3 in the morning, 2 @ night.

Here's a few charts for weight based geno 1's.  
65 kg – (143 lbs) 800 mg/day
65-85kg (143-187 lbs) 1,000 mg/day
86-105 kg (189-231 lbs) 1,200 mg/day
106-125 kg (233-275 lbs) 1,400 mg/day

http://www.hivandhepatitis.com/hep_c/news/2011/0125_2010_b.html

The following with Ribasphere has the following weight/dosage recommendations for those retreating:
65 kg – (143 lbs) 800 mg/day
66-80kg (145-177 lbs) 1,000 mg/day
81-105 kg (178-231 lbs) 1,200 mg/day
> 105 kg (231 lbs) 1,400 mg/day

And listed further down for treatment naive:
≤75 kg 1000 mg daily
>75 kg 1200 mg daily

http://www.drugs.com/dosage/ribasphere.html
Thanks Cory~ that's interesting that there is a slight difference for treatment naive people, in terms of Riba dosage
I'm on 1200 Riba a day my Dr said he gives everyone that unless there is a problem with anemia etc. I'm still at 1200 my problem is wbc low and that's the pegasys. I'm on same triple as you but I weigh about 40lbs more then you.