Hepatitis C Community

Ribavirin In refridgerator! Yikes

Uh oh....All of my meds were shipped in a cooler and When I had my pharmacy call ...they didn't tell me to keep the RIBA out of the fridge.....The 1st bottle (the one I am currently taking) was only in the fridge a few days, but the other bottles (3 months worth) have been in the refrigerator for a month.

Does anyone know of the effect of the RIBA being refridgerated for a Month.... .I am so frustrated!!!! I just left a message for the pharmacist...sure wish they told me~

Thanks~
Hi Vann.  Not sure.  If your pharmacy doesn't have an answer, you may have to contact the manufacturer.  I just read my papers on Ribasphere and it only says:

Store this medicine at room temperature between 68 to 77 degrees, away from heat or light.  Brief storage between 59 and 86 degrees is permitted.

But it doesn't say what "brief" means to them.  Best to you in the outcome.
I do not refrigerate mine, It doesn't say to on the Pharmacy bottle like the Vic and Pegasys and marinol all has refrigerate on sript instructions
I hope this helps. I think you are okay it the frig temperature is above 36 degrees.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* First call your pharmacy.
* Call manufacturer for support just to be on the safe side.

PEGASYS & COPEGUS
24/7 Nurse Support

Need help with your injections or advice about side effects?

Call 1-877-734-2797 Monday - Friday (8am -6 pm). press #2 for COPEGUS info. (For U.S. Patients Only)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a605018.html#storage-conditions

Medline Plus - A service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine
From the National Institutes of Health National Institutes of Health
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What storage conditions are needed for this medicine?

Keep this medication in the container it came in, tightly closed, and out of reach of children. Store ribavirin tablets and capsules at room temperature and away from excess heat and moisture (not in the bathroom). Store ribavirin oral solution in the refrigerator or at room temperature. Throw away any medication that is outdated or no longer needed. Talk to your pharmacist about the proper disposal of your medication.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.medicinenet.com/ribavirin/article.htm

GENERIC NAME: ribavirin
BRAND NAME: Rebetol, Copegus

DRUG CLASS AND MECHANISM: Ribavirin is an antiviral drug. It is used in combination with interferon for the treatment of chronic hepatitis C. Although the exact mechanism of its action is unknown, it is thought to interfere with the production and/or action of viral DNA and RNA which are critical to the survival and multiplication of the virus.

GENERIC: no

PRESCRIPTION: yes

PREPARATIONS: Capsule: 200 mg.

STORAGE: Ribavirin should be refrigerated at 2-8 C (36-46 F).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm088576.pdf

How should I store COPEGUS?

Store COPEGUS tablets between 59°F and 86°F (15°C and 30°C).

Keep the bottle tightly closed.

Hector
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you so much for comprehensive overview. The Pharmacist called and said that he is 100% sure that I am OK. I will also call Three Rivers tomorrow.....Obviously, if I don't respond to tx, I will always beleive it was because of this.  Life is such a journey:-) Have to beleive it will be OK.

Again - thanks for your knowledge and time:-)

Have a great Sunday

Vann
My question is, when you AC breaks, (mine is) and it becomes 86 inside here in my condo, don't I then, need to put my Ribavirin and Sovaldi in a closed container in the refrigerator, to keep them from getting to hot inside here.  It being the fourth of July weekend, I'm fearfully will be suffering through this misery for the next 3-4 days!  I would rather be going through inconvience at any other time than right SMACK DAB in the middle of my treatment!!
Hi Susan

The prescribing info sheet for Sovaldi says:
Store at room temperature below 30 °C (86 °F).

And ribivirin says:
Storage and Handling
Store the COPEGUS® Tablets bottle at 25ºC (77ºF); excursions are permitted between 15ºC and 30ºC (59ºF and 86ºF) [see USP Controlled Room Temperature]. Keep bottle tightly closed.

so I went to the link for USP Controlled Room temp

Controlled Cold Temperature— This temperature is defined as the temperature maintained thermostatically between 2 deg and 8 deg C (36 deg and 46 deg F), that allows for excursions in temperature between 0 deg and 15 deg C (32 deg and 59 deg F) that may be experienced during storage, shipping, and distribution such that the allowable calculated MKT is not more than 8 deg C (46 deg F). Transient spikes up to 25 deg C (77 deg F) may be permitted if the manufacturer so instructs and provided that such spikes do not exceed 24 hours unless supported by stability data or the manufacturer instructs otherwise.

Looks lik ethey are talking about the average temp and I would think the correct closed container would be original bottle

Good luck
Lynn