Hepatitis C Community

Ribavirin Reduction

I am on treatment with PEGASYS & Ribavirin.  I am genotype 1b in week 32 of 48.  I began treatment with a viral load of 10,100,000 and went to 784 by week 4.  Undetectable at week 12.  When I started treatment I weighed 165 and was put on 1,000 mg/day of Ribavirin.  At week 32 I weight 140 and my hemoglobin is at 9.9.  My doctor wants me to lower my Ribavirin to 800 mg/day.  I am hesitant in doing this.  I do not want a viral breakthrough.  What are your thoughts on reducing Ribavirin?   I really dont want to jeopardize my chances of clearing this virus!!  I also read that when taking PEGASYS the dosage for Ribavirin at 140lbs is 1,000-1,200mg vs (PEGINTERON & Riba @ 800-1000).
Thank you for your help.
Sara
Sarah, you can ask your doctor to put you on Procrit. (Epogen)  It is used for hemolytic anemia which is caused by the Riba.  9.9 isn't terribly bad but it's low and Procit takes several weeks to work so that is something you should discuss with your doctor immediately.  If your hgb continues to drop rapdidly you may have to dose reduce until the Procrit starts working but that will prevent future riba dose reductions.  You are in wk 32 and dose reduction is not as critical if as it would be prior to becoming UND.  
Good Luck
Trinity