Hepatitis C Community

Ribavirin reduction

Since following this message board there seems to be two schools of thought as to when Riba is doing the most effective work. 1 school saying that it's real effect is towards the end of tx when it is piling into the virus in the liver and thus it's well worth carrying on taking it after finishing the shots. school 2 says it's only really effective in the early stages and that it is arguable that one could cease to use Riba after a fairly short period. Could anyone clarify this for me as i wonder how much amenia i suffered unessersarily. And if the persistant 1200mg was responsible for this peripheral neuropaty. Paul
Sorry, I have no clue about riba.  However, your comment about "fishing with chainsaws" reminded me of the movie "Second Hand Lion" where Michael Caine and Robert Duvall fish with shotguns!  Thanks for the chuckle!

Jamie
My understanding is that Ribavirin is most important in the later stage of tx. I believe GI.PA has articulated this position on several occasions. Mike
If there is any consolation, I too was reduced two months into Tx.  It was 800mg for 3months due to anemia.  They did not want to raise it until after the 24 wk vl count. When I cleared, they upped the riba again.  If I cleared in spite of the reduction and the fog that made me forget if had taken it or not in the first 2 months (I probalbly didn't many times), you have a good shot. don't fret it too much.
I went back and read some of the posts.  On 2/19 "2 Months Post Tx..."  C23, 25 and C27 talk about studies and riba.  Hope this is what you were looking for.

Jamie
Sorry PeeBee, check 2/18 for the thread same title.

Jamie
Ello mate. One thing's for sure, bodyweight wise, you're definitely a 1200 a day man! I should finally get my v. load Thursday. Sorry you been suffrin lately, me too the past week but no peripheral neuropathy. Hope it clears for you soon and is tomorrow your penultimate jab?