Aa
A
A
A
Close
Hepatitis C Community
13.4k Members

Ribavirin side effects?

This is my third attempt at tx. The first was about 12 years and was interferon alone. Did 24 weeks and turned out to be a non-responder. About two years later I tried ribavirin/intron but developed a serious hacking cough that was so bad I couldn't even talk to anyone.

Now I'm trying again. Last Thursday I took my first injection with the rib. I prepared for a night of the flu like symptoms but was happy when awoke because it was very light. I just had some muscle aches. But since then every time I take the ribavirin it's almost like getting the flu. Sometimes I even run a 100+ fever. Two extra strenth tylenol actually work pretty well and I will be able to tolerate this for a year if I have to. I'm hoping it will taper off.

Do anyone of you have these side effects to ribavirin? Thanks.
5 Responses
Interferon is what causes my fevers and not necessarily right after injection.  Fever would come and go throughout the week.  Predosed with riba 2 wks prior to starting inf.  No fever until I started injecting.  Wk 54 and still get fevers ocassionally.  I've never had a reaction from riba like that.  
Could be the interferon in my case, too. But within a few hours of riba I start getting the aches and pains. Then I take 2 tylenol and they subside somewhat (enough to function at work).  By dinner time I feel fairly decent, take the riba again and it starts over again. Seems like the riba to me but I'm only in the first few days. We'll see.

When I took interferon for a 6 months (3 times a week and no riba) I only had problems with it making me sick in the first two or three weeks. After that it didn't bother me much at all. Of course, I was much younger and my liver was in better shape (it's stage 3 now).
Late stage 3 here too.  Ain't no spring chicken either and the old body does protest.  ALOT!!  

Trin

Trin,

I hear ya. I've had this **** (can I say that?) for over 37 years. And I've been feeling the physical effects for nearly 35 years. Ten years ago after non-responding I gave up on treatment because I heard that many people live out their lives normally. Even though I wasn't close to being normal I figured I'd had enough of tx. But as I head into stage 4 I have a multitude of problems and would probably have an even more miserable experience ahead than I have now if I didn't tx again.
Riba mostly gave me really bad hemolytic anemia and a REALLY bad attitude.  Oh, yeah, and the trots!  I got SVR so it was worth it.

jd
Have an Answer?
Top Hepatitis Answerers
317787 tn?1473362051
DC
683231 tn?1467326617
Auburn, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Answer a few simple questions about your Hep C treatment journey.

Those who qualify may receive up to $100 for their time.
Explore More In Our Hep C Learning Center
image description
Learn about this treatable virus.
image description
Getting tested for this viral infection.
image description
3 key steps to getting on treatment.
image description
4 steps to getting on therapy.
image description
What you need to know about Hep C drugs.
image description
How the drugs might affect you.
image description
These tips may up your chances of a cure.
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.