Risk of Hepatitis C from blood to blood contact

Is there a possibility to transmit hcv virus from scratch?

I was in basketball court this morning, I played basketball and one of a guy had actively bleeding in hands and accidentally scratch me in my arms that cause a tear in my skin and immediately bleed out, after a collision with him i noticed lot of blood in my arms came from his hand

If his finger nails had a blood and scratch me with finger nails and cause a tear in my skin, do i need to be worry?

It is true if medication from hcv is started there's  slim chances to transmit virus to other person
First the other person would have to be infected with hepatitis c. Most people with hepatitis c are very careful if they have a bleeding cut to avoid putting others at risk.

If the other person is currently infected with hep c and your scratch was deep enough to bleed and hep c infected blood entered your fresh wet bleeding wound there is a chance for possible infection. To put that risk in perspective in the situation where a health care worker experiences an accidental needle stick involving a patient with known hep c infection the odds of transmission are only 1.8% so relatively low.

If someone is Currently treating their hep c infection with one of the new generation hep c medicines approved since 2014 and their viral load is not detected (This usually occurs  by 4 weeks of treatment for most patients) they do not have any virus to transmit so it would be basically impossible to transmit a virus they do not have.

If they are early in treatment and still have a viral load it would be possible to transmit the virus.

If concerned wait 12 weeks after this incident and have the hep c antibody test and go from there. But I doubt you would become infected from this incident but if the person is currently infected with hep c and their blood entered your open wet bleeding injury there’s could be a small theoretical risk.

You are reading content posted in the Hepatitis C Community