Hepatitis C Community

Sandoz Generic Ribavirin

Hey everybody: Just got sent some Sandoz generic Riba, anyone have any info on this stuff, or should I ask for the "real" Riba??? I am not sure if I want to be a generic brand guinee pig, your thoughts are appreciated.

Pete
I hope we're not dealing with a counterfit.  Check on the internet if Sandoz has entered this line.  If they have, they'll probably describe the packaging.  If all that checks, and yours are 200 mg Ribavirin, don't worry about it.  I hope it's less expensive!  Rebetol capsules (SP) have been going for about $10 each, and Copegus (Hoffmann La Roche) for about $6.75; Fischer Pharmacy has been able to sell Ribavirin for around $1.25 per pill.  Obviously competition is good for prices.  Maj Neni
Oh wow....Did you just get this sent to you instead of the Riba?  I guess maybe this is what your insurance is going to pay for you since it would be cheaper.  Honestly...It should be exact same thing.
I checked for ribavirin at Sandoz (=Novartis) and a news release from last fall indicated they were putting Ribavirin on the market "within a month or two."  Their website suggests they specialize in generics.
You could also call your doctor's office and get the info from them, surely they would know about generics?
Good luck.
I use Priority Healthcare and they sent me the generic Sandoz Ribavirin also.   Today was my 3rd day on these.  Everything seems okay with it but I would have rather stayed with the brand name.  I'm waiting for this rx refill to hit my insurance so I can check the difference in cost.
Thanks for your responses. I am at Priority Health, too, and I thought I read here a while back that the price difference was minimal. I would also like to stay on the original stuff, but, its probably OK w/ the generics.

Pete