Hepatitis C Community
13.3k Members
96938 tn?1189803458

Saw The Doc - Have Some Answers

Went to see doc#3, one of those
53 Responses
Avatar universal
Thanks for the info, veddy interestink! Also helpful and right in line with what my doc said up to the VX option part. Wish I had known I had cirrhosis when I first txed but water under the proverbial bridge now. Going to the beach a few days, now THAT is good therapy! I know you wi et us know whe you decide what you will do. So glad to hear how it went but who did he say is "the best"??

PS what did he say anything about smoking?
Avatar universal
Good morning, I am in orl. So do I understand that you wont actually be treating at the university but the university will coordinate treatment with your doctor?
Avatar universal
That doctor I went to told me the MOST important and good thing about my treatment was that I never had any dose reductions, as hard as it was it was CRUCIAL.

I only did that with all the hemo problems because of the advice in here. Glad I listened.

What do yOU think you will do?  These days it really DOES look to me like the doctors (the forward thinking ones) are right and geno 2 and 3 should go longer than the 24 weeks. Maybe because they spent so much time studying the 1s they really don't have a good handle on the 2s and 3s and based the 24 on some "study" that had invalid data or something?
96938 tn?1189803458
While I was there he dictated the 'consultation notes' to my tx doc.  In prior conversation with the tx doc he said he'd follow directions.  These two docs have done this before so if it's re-combo, just a matter of all the rx's and getting lined up with the ins. co.  Insurance wont't cover charges with the Univ doc so this was a one-time event.
Avatar universal
Have been waiting to hear from you, then I remembered that you didn't have your PC at the condo.  A lot od good info and glad you went.  Bet you had a great week-end at Hutch.

So who is the best hep doc?

96938 tn?1189803458
I didn't ask about the smoking.  But I think we know the answer to that anyway.  Also did not ask about pre-dosing riba a week before peg - I'm kind of kicking myself about that one because I really wanted to know if it had any validity.
Avatar universal
Sorry a little confused,
ha ha , like I really have to even say that.

but I don't have time to elaborate with my 3 days
of test, I was wondering if you could elaborate a little
1, are you saying geno type 2b should be on tx longer than 24 weeks.

that's my question as I take short today and then my last shot next week...
so I am axious to hear your response..!!
Avatar universal
sorry one more question please
I forgot to mention, my last set of riba ****
is now different, I was getting capsules, but the
pharmacy swited 'companyies'??
so now I little pink pills..
any idea if they really are ok, the pharmasicist said
of course
but they wouldn't say anything different , right?
I will have pills left over, do I keep taking them?
ps...obviusly I don't trust my dr or the pharmacy anymore..
your opinion is greately appreciated
Avatar universal
Good morning, Wow next week is your last shot.  I'm a 2B and also treated 24 weeks and now 2 months post tx.  I think other things factor in whether to treat 24 or 48 weeks, like amount of damage, VL, etc.

Avatar universal
My doc has been pushing me to tx for 48 weeks since the beginning but I have been fighting her all along.  I now wonder if I should listen to her.  I also wonder if I should have her switch me to weight based from here on out.  I am on standard baby dose of 800mg.  3a cleared at 4 weeks stage 1 grade 1 been infected 4 1/2 years.  diagnosed sept 05. (just for a recap)

My biggest question would be how do they know at this point that 48 weeks will do it?  Since there are no studies out there for 3a's?  Extending tx is the hardest decision I've ever had to make and I haven't made the decision yet.

Thank you for going and letting us know what the doc said.  It is really helpful to me and people in our situation.

Deb in az
Avatar universal
So not to let depression set in.  BUT
do you think my dr would actully say...keep going???

and do I continue to take the riba pills that are still
here, after last shot...
sorry I just don't trust my dr. so whatever your dr
said to you or your research advise is greatly appreciated
thanks for your quick response
132578 tn?1189759437
Paris , I think after your last shot you should have enough ribavirin for another 7 days. I really dont know how important it is that you finish them  , but thats the protocol.
Have an Answer?
Top Hepatitis Answerers
317787 tn?1473362051
683231 tn?1467326617
Auburn, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Answer a few simple questions about your Hep C treatment journey.

Those who qualify may receive up to $100 for their time.
Explore More In Our Hep C Learning Center
image description
Learn about this treatable virus.
image description
Getting tested for this viral infection.
image description
3 key steps to getting on treatment.
image description
4 steps to getting on therapy.
image description
What you need to know about Hep C drugs.
image description
How the drugs might affect you.
image description
These tips may up your chances of a cure.
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.