Hepatitis C Community

Scared and need help

My doctor informed me on Thursday that I need to begin treatment for my Hepititus C ASAP. I'm scared because my insurance does not have a good prescription plan. I watched my wife die of complications due to her hep C, and I can tell you first hand it was terrifying, once her plateletts were gone she didn't last long, days...
I've been informed by skymed pharmacy that one months Rx of Pegasus will cost me $3400.00 a month, add the $400.00 a month I pay for Insurance, and the $400.00+ in meds that I allready take and it adds up to over $50,000.00 a year out of pocket, that doesn't include Dr. visits, MRI's specialists, etc. There is no way I can afford the treatment... am I supposed to just roll over and die... literally? Are there any other treatments that have had sucess? Is there any way to get financial aid? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hi there, and welcome to the discussion group. There is help available from the manufacturers in the form of patient assistance programs. They can help make the drug portion of treatment more affordable; I used them a couple of years ago, and they supplied both interferon and ribavirin to me free of charge. Call the appropriate number Monday, and see what they have to say:

Pegassist (Roche Pegasys system): 1-877-734-2797

Commitment to Care (Schering- Plough PEG-Intron system): 1-800-521-7157

So sorry to hear about your wife. Have you had a biopsy yet to help ascertain how much damage/fibrosis you might have sustained already?

Do you know your genotype?

Stick around; there are people here that can help you navigate all this. Good luck—

Bill