Self Injecting - Is it Hard?

I just found out that when I start my treatments later this week I will have to learn to do the self injecting on my own.

I've never done anything like this and am not sure that I can (chicken little is my new name).

Has anybody had any trouble? How did you get over it? Is it hard to do?

Please let me know how I am going to do this. I'm just freaked out as it is about being worried about starting the tx and now this made me even more scared.

Thanks guys.

Hi NY - This is the BEST site you will find to get answers to your questions.  Welcome.

I was SO STRESSED for about two months over injecting myself.  And when I saw the needle I just laughed out loud and kept saying, "I CAN DO THIS" over and over.  It is a breeze, it does NOT hurt.  And never forget the most important thing ... YOU ARE WOMAN!

Let us know how it goes.  You will be so relieved after the first one.  I've done 3 now and never had a problem; I did pay close attention to what the NP said the first time she walked me through.  Never forget the pre-injection steps because they are to make a sterile environment for the needle to go in.

God bless -
Carolyn
I'm a little freaked out too.  That's why we're all here.  I haven't started treatment yet so I have no real-life experience to offer you.  I too hate needles; always have.  The dr had to chase me around the office to give me a tetanus shot before I could go to Girl Scout camp.  My mother was mortified!  But, it's one of those things we'll just have to learn.  There is a self-injection video on the Pegasys website (www.pegasys.com). They make it look easy, and, as everyone has said, I'm sure it gets easier each week.  After being on this site for awhile, I'm pretty much convinced that successful treatment is 90% mental.  I have some time before starting tx, so am trying to get my body & mind prepared.  I'm trying everything I can think of to reduce stress - yoga, meditation, long walks on cool evenings.  I figure this is going to be a long, unknown journey, so am trying to keep an open mind before I embark.  With a positive attitude we will get thru this, and, hopefully come out better for it.  DJ
PS - Will someone please remind me of these words about a year from now?  :)
Regarding your post in the earlier thread (I'm too lazy to go back there), I certainly understand your feelings, after all you have endured. But (oh how I hate the word "but") I think I can understand the reluctance of medical staff to readily accept that you are cured, considering all the awful diseases out there.  And even you are willing to cop to a 2% chance of relapse, which by the way sounds high to me.  I thought after 6 months it was more like .5% or even less.  However (a sneaky way of saying "but" again), the doc who reminded staff to take extra precautions was way off base.  Staff need to take the same precautions with every patient when it comes to exposure to blood.  His statement and attitude I certainly find offensive, and I hope you do speak with him about it.

I had prostate cancer in 2002, had successful surgery, no signs of spreading, and my PSA has been 0 since then.  But every time I go to the transplant center, they want to see a recent PSA, and remind me that if it the cancer returns I will be taken off the list.  I am not officially cured until 7 years have passed.

As for my PCR, last week I told my doc my theory of being cured as long as I don't have results that prove otherwise, He thought that was pretty funny, and called my bluff by offering not to call me when he gets them.  In the end he agreed to call the MINUTE he gets them.  I'm hoping to know by the end of the week, but it may take even longer.  I certainly will post ASAP.

BTW, I am feeling better, some days I don't even take a nap, and a few days ago I had the thought that maybe I'm not retarded (the jury's still out on that one).  Haven't seen any posts from Giddyup/Whoa or Majneni since the march, hope they're ok.  Was the procedure on your back successful?  Finally, don't let the bastards get you down. You know you've won!

dA
Oh, I'm sorry if I gave the wrong impression. I'm three years post-treatment and my PCR earlier this year shows still virus-free.

I was all set to retreat after a false-positive on my 6 month post-txt PCR, but another 2 PCRs (different tests, different labs) were negative.

I was just reflecting upon my experiences starting treatment after reading the post about injecting. My cognitive impairment was fairly severe at times and I remember it was particularly bad at the time I started treatment - hence the difficulty in figuring out how to operate the damn redi-pen. Give me a syringe, a spoon, oops, I mean a syringe and a vial of interferon any day over that nasty pen (apologies, overlapping flashbacks, there).

It is funny how things go in cycles. I had to train my wife to give injections to her mother starting with powdered interferon and interleukin-11 and adding water, swirling, etc. By the time I started treatment, interferon was premixed or in a redi-pen, then along comes pegylated interferon and we are back to powdered form, now it is not... it is all too weird.
Hey Cuteus I got some numbers here! (But she forgot my biopsy report and everything else they are so lazy just sent the bloodwork)

Says
AST 212
ALT 203
Type 1a/1b
IU/ml 568,000
PCR 5.75

I dont know what any of it means but it seems like the IU # is pretty low (from what I've seen of others).

I have to go read a bit now and try and find out what's going on. I wish they weren't so horrible...I can't start treatment until NEXT Friday now because I have to see the opthamologist first - why didn't they tell me that before!!!!

I WANT TO START KILLING THESE CRITTERS OFF NOW!!!!!
I'm an active duty military tough guy and I was literally shaking the first night...and the second...and the 3rd--you get the picture!

It's not easy for me but I can do it because I have to. Otherwise I run the risk of accidently infecting a loved one with a needle *****.

I always pull out the instructions and follow them to the letter and I always feel that I may have done it wrong. But when I wake up in the morning and feel like s$%t...well, I know I got it right and the medicine is working.

Like the commercial slogan on TV, "You can do it; We can help!"

Good luck and get well soon!

Bronxrican007

You are reading content posted in the Hepatitis C Community