Hepatitis C Community

Severe pain in right upper abdomen below right breast

Hello to all my HepC friends.  I did my usual 4-mile walk, fell again but got up and kept going.  (I suffered a mild stroke 4 years ago that has affected my balance.)  I came home and brought four 30-lb. (+ or -) BioBricks upstairs from the cellar for my wood stove.  10 minutes later a sharp pain started suddenly right under my right breast while I was in the shower.  This pain started about 45 minutes ago.  I have fractured two ribs on the right side at the bottom like 18 years ago, and that's what this pain feels like.  But how could I possibly have fractured a rib walking and carrying?  If the pain was on the left side, I'd be convinced I was having a heart attack.  I don't know if it's my gallbladder or I pulled a muscle or cracked a rib or if it's HepC.  Movement, touching it, bending, breathing deeply cause the pain.  I'm genotype 1b, infected 37 years ago, failed all 3 treatments.
It is unfortunate that you are suffering from these problems. My suggestion would be to go to the emergency room.

There is no way to diagnose the cause of your pain over the internet. But here are a few possibly important factors.
1) You did fall. You may have injured or a rib/broken a rib during the fall.
2) If your bones are porous, you don't need to do anything to fracture one.
3) Heart attack pain is not always on the left side. It can be left side, right side, arm, elbow, jaw, neck or elsewhere.
4) Could be gallbladder or something else.
5) Could be anything in the abdomen because pain can radiate.

If it was me, I would go to the emergency room. You need to find out the cause and obtain treatment because any of those possibilities could be serious.

Best of luck.
I am only guessing, but seems to me like a pulled muscle.
" But how could I possibly have fractured a rib walking and carrying?"  Easily if you have previously broken them. Liver disease can effect the bone density, you may be deficient in calcium/vit.D
I would definitely be in touch with  Hepatologist, whatever the cause of the pain. If you have HCV you need to be monitoring the condition of your liver.
All the best to you.
Just saw Pooh's post after I posted.
Totally agree-don't wait on the Hepa...go to the ER.
Good luck
I thank all of you.  The more I move about, the more I'm convinced it was the fall that caused this, because my entire skeleton feels like it's been jarred.  I do remember hearing that heart attacks can cause pain on the right side as well as the left.  I do have osteopenia, thinning of the bones.  I'm 58.  My hepatologists and I are keeping a close eye on my liver.  In fact, that's one thing that's scary.  Both hepatologists said I should not have any abdominal surgery of any kind because my liver could de-compensate or I could die.  Thank you, guys.  I'll let you know what I find out.
Go to ER ASAP.
It shouldn't even be a question.
You risk permanent damage the longer you wait.

hector
I did go to the doctor and her diagnosis was when I fell, I fractured my fourth and fifth ribs on the right side.  She didn't order an x-ray because she said even if they were fractured, there's nothing you can do about it except rest and heat.  I remember that advice from having fractured my two lowest ribs 15 or 20 years ago.  Anyway, she ruled out a stroke, a heart attack, gallbladder and pancreas issues.  What a relief.  She also recommended no more walking but do stationary exercise, see her again in a month.  It hurts worst when I bend down or lift anything, so I'm just taking it easy and hoping she was right.  You guys are the best.