Hepatitis C Community

Simeprevir deaths?

Have you all heard about the three deaths in Japan attributed to Simeprevir Sodium? Do you think this is the same as the Simeprevir (Olysio) here in the States?

"According to the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare, taking the drug will increase "bilirubin" by decomposing hemoglobin in the blood and may aggravate dysfunction of the liver and kidney."

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/kyodo-news-international/141024/3-die-after-being-administered-hepatitis-c-drug
If you look at the molecule models they are different, it's the only way I could tell, all the SOVRIAD (as it's called) info is in japanese
I did find this info don't know it it is the same you are referencing

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/AdvisoryCommittees/CommitteesMeetingMaterials/Drugs/AntiviralDrugsAdvisoryCommittee/UCM371623.pdf

Deaths:

Four deaths were reported in subjects receiving simeprevir in the pooled Phase 2b and Phase 3 analysis (including the C205, C206, C208, C216, and HPC3007 trials). The reported causes of death included the following: 1) bacterial meningitis and brain hemorrhage; 2) colon cancer; 3) presumed cardiopulmonary event; 4) bilateral pneumonia and septic shock. No deaths were reported in the Control arms. In each of these cases, the subject’s death was judged unrelated to simeprevir by the investigator. The Division concurs with the judgment of the investigators in these cases.

So although these people dies it looks like it had nothing to do with Olysio
Hi there, I did some searching and found that for people of Aisian-Pacific descent the does of simeprevir should be reduced.  It is in this article though I had to read most of it to find it.

I'm sorry it is made by the same manufacturer I just assumed that it was the same but made for that specific population. You know what happens when you assume :)
I am sorry I did not see your post before I replied.
In my zeal to help my foot is often in my mouth
In fact I often say "my heart is on my sleeve, foot in mouth"
Thank you
Dee
I will just add this. My t.bilirubin went to 2 from 0.9, then down to 1.7, then 1.4, and now back up again. They told me it was normal, but thank god I only have a few days left.