Aa
A
A
A
Close
Hepatitis C Community
13.4k Members

Simeprevir deaths?

Have you all heard about the three deaths in Japan attributed to Simeprevir Sodium? Do you think this is the same as the Simeprevir (Olysio) here in the States?

"According to the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare, taking the drug will increase "bilirubin" by decomposing hemoglobin in the blood and may aggravate dysfunction of the liver and kidney."

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/kyodo-news-international/141024/3-die-after-being-administered-hepatitis-c-drug
72 Responses
1747881 tn?1546179478
If you look at the molecule models they are different, it's the only way I could tell, all the SOVRIAD (as it's called) info is in japanese
683231 tn?1467326617
I did find this info don't know it it is the same you are referencing

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/AdvisoryCommittees/CommitteesMeetingMaterials/Drugs/AntiviralDrugsAdvisoryCommittee/UCM371623.pdf

Deaths:

Four deaths were reported in subjects receiving simeprevir in the pooled Phase 2b and Phase 3 analysis (including the C205, C206, C208, C216, and HPC3007 trials). The reported causes of death included the following: 1) bacterial meningitis and brain hemorrhage; 2) colon cancer; 3) presumed cardiopulmonary event; 4) bilateral pneumonia and septic shock. No deaths were reported in the Control arms. In each of these cases, the subject’s death was judged unrelated to simeprevir by the investigator. The Division concurs with the judgment of the investigators in these cases.

So although these people dies it looks like it had nothing to do with Olysio
317787 tn?1473362051
Hi there, I did some searching and found that for people of Aisian-Pacific descent the does of simeprevir should be reduced.  It is in this article though I had to read most of it to find it.

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/AdvisoryCommittees/CommitteesMeetingMaterials/Drugs/AntiviralDrugsAdvisoryCommittee/UCM371623.pdf
1747881 tn?1546179478
317787 tn?1473362051
I'm sorry it is made by the same manufacturer I just assumed that it was the same but made for that specific population. You know what happens when you assume :)
I am sorry I did not see your post before I replied.
In my zeal to help my foot is often in my mouth
In fact I often say "my heart is on my sleeve, foot in mouth"
Thank you
Dee
I will just add this. My t.bilirubin went to 2 from 0.9, then down to 1.7, then 1.4, and now back up again. They told me it was normal, but thank god I only have a few days left.
Have an Answer?
Top Hepatitis Answerers
317787 tn?1473362051
DC
683231 tn?1467326617
Auburn, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Answer a few simple questions about your Hep C treatment journey.

Those who qualify may receive up to $100 for their time.
Explore More In Our Hep C Learning Center
image description
Learn about this treatable virus.
image description
Getting tested for this viral infection.
image description
3 key steps to getting on treatment.
image description
4 steps to getting on therapy.
image description
What you need to know about Hep C drugs.
image description
How the drugs might affect you.
image description
These tips may up your chances of a cure.
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.