Hepatitis C Community

Social Security Disability Benefits

Does anyone from the United States know about receivind Social Security Disabilty?  I just applied.  I have a liver biopsy that shows piecemeal necrosis. My knodell score is 15/18. I said I was fatigued and unable to sit at the computer (my line of work) for more than 1/2 hour because of chronic fatigue.  I also have depression and have been taking Zoloft for a few years.  Do you folks think that this will "cut" it?  Also, I did 15 weeks of Interferon/Riba and am a non-responder.

Merrie
I don't think you can get social security for hep C which we have (liver disease) but that is just what I've heard.

While we are ill we are not completely disabled and not able to do some form of work.

I wish we could...I'd stay home on FLMA and get paid. That would be so much better than struggling to come in to work every day.

I'm no expert and someone else might come on with opposite news...it is what I've always been told though.

PS My hemoglobin went down 7 points in one week - have chronic lethargy without the anemia am on Paxill for depression, Epogen for the anemia, Interferon and Ribavirin for the virus and never sleep. BRAIN FOG like crazy. Have the rash all over my body and at least half of my hair has fallen out. But.....even though it's HARD to make it to work...it doesn't make me disabled enough to collect.

When I had brain damage and a broken back from a car accident years ago it took a LOT to get it to go through - and there was no physical way I could work since I couldn't walk or think.

It's like they don't WANT you to get it you know?

BEST OF LUCK.
You have nothing to lose by trying except some time.  You know?
Hi there. You ask will this cut it? Yes but it might not be easy, First have you been off work at least 5 months? Also your age will come into play. Even though your not able to do your line of work, they will look is there any line of work at your age and education that you can do.

You didn't say how much info you provided them, like doctor statements, bx. reports, ect. Be ready to be turned down on your first request as most people are. But don't let that discourage you. Make sure any questions they ask you like what are you able to do at home. Cooking,cleaning, shopping, you give it the worst case possible.

Are you seeing a psychologist/psychiatrist? If yes have them write a letter detailing how your depression along with your hep-c is effecting your ablity to even leave your house and are not able to work.

Get copys of your bx. report and ask your GI/hepatologist to also write a letter stating your a non-responder and your bx, shows cirrhosis. And it makes it in possible for you to work. Also have your family doctor do the same. These people know how to word things in your favor. Also be ready to supply SS with a family member if asked to, And have that family member tell them how they have to help you out, Like shopping, errands, house keeping ect. Good luck to you.
It's in here.  You may have to fight hard and take a lot of time to do it but it's listed on the site.

Google Hep C and Social Security and you will find help there maybe~!

Possible Medical Disability Conditions *-

Disability due to: Cancer, diabetes, type 2 diabetes, diabetic neuropathy, Lupus, crohn's disease or crohns, Multiple Sclerosis or MS, rheumatoid arthritis, diverticulitis, back surgery, heart surgery, high blood pressure (hypertension), hip, neck, shoulder, ankle, wrist, back, or other joint problems, disc herniation, hydrocephalitis, interstitial cystitis, degenerative disc disease, spinal stenosis, carpal tunnel syndrome, rsi or repetitive stress injury, inflammatory bowel disease, liver disease, Parkinson's disease, ulcerative colitis, irritable bowel syndrome, kidney disease, arthritis, dysthymia, depression or other mood disorders. Congestive or Chronic Heart Failure, Type 1 Seizure Disorder, Stroke, COPD, Auto immune system disease, emphysema, hearing loss or poor hearing, statutory blindness, Peripheral Field Problems or Other Vision Loss, Clinical Obesity or Morbidly Obese, attention deficit hyper activity or ADHD, bipolar disorder or manic depression, panic disorder, schizophrenia, autism, head trauma or brain injury. Low IQ, mental retardation, learning disability, epilepsy, cancer, chronic fatigue, lupus, anxiety, inner ear problems, meniere's, vertigo or dizziness, kidney failure requiring dialysis or other renal problems, cirrhosis of the liver, hepatitis C or other liver disease, pancreatitis, osteoarthritis, osteoporosis, asthma, bronchitis, cystic fibrosis, rsd or reflex sympathetic dystrophy, sarcoidosis, peripheral vascular disease, lyme disease, cerebral palsy, rheumatoid arthritis, down syndrome, hiv, aids, anemia, sickle cell, thyroid problems including hypothyroidism, esrd or end stage renal disease, reflux, GERD (gastro esophageal reflux disease), cfids, muscular dystrophy, coronary artery disease, cardiomyopathy, or tachycardia, bradycardia or other arrhythmia.
Dang it, its shot 9 sunday woooh is me
HOnestly from a realistic standpoint I think it would hurt your chances of getting it.  More likely it would be better or they would expect someone perhaps to go back to work on a shortened day AFTER a while when they were getting better.

Everyone I've ever known on it has not worked - and just had small things under the table.

Sorry I can't help more than that. I did not work at all so I don't know.

Sounds like you need to talk to one of the special 1-800-CallUS for Social SEcurity lawyers and ask.
I had to go to several doctors and prove that for my depression and brain injury I was going to a neuropsychologist for about a year.  They gave me lots of tests - psych and physical.

I do remember that it was a many, many part thing and took quite some while but...you don't receive money for like the first four or five months after you apply BUT after that everything was retroactive and I got like a $15,000 check.  So I guess at only app. $1,000 a month - you can see it took me a year or two to get everything for it started.

Its not a quick process so except to have to work or something to survive in the meantime.
Im thinking that if the knodell score is 15/18 then that would mean cirrhosis. If so then having cirrhosis of the liver makes it a whole lot easier. I have a close friend at SS that helped me with a friend of mine who at the time didn't have ESLD but was able to get SSDI. But it comes down to who reviews your case the first time around.
Hello Merrie,
If you just submitted the application, you can expect to be interviewed by a doctor in your area, probably one contracted by SSA. If you are seeking disability from depression in addition to your physical problems you may also be interviewed by a psychologist, psychiatric social worker or the like. Their input, combined with whatever documentation they obtain about your illness and treatments, will determine the SSA ruling. You may not get disability for simply having HCV but you could for how it has manifested in you and how that has interfered with your ability to make a living. Your age and work history may also be factors. Remember that you may appeal a denied claim, especially if your condition worsens/changes while you are waiting or you obtain new important documentation. I work with people who receive/apply/appeal disability and many of them did not get approval on the first application. I have seen some pretty ill people turned down and some of the "walking wounded" approved on the first try. I apologize for the vague answer here but it really can be a **** shoot. The main thing is to document thoroughly and to not give up. Getting an attorney can be an option too. Best of luck!
- Lee
You said....You are nearing the shot 10 mark! Chipping away at this dastardly virus. I take the last shot Sunday.
________________________________________________________________

Want to trade with me? What if i say pretty please.

And yes SSDI can be a real pain, your first denial is pretty common. Its the second try that you want to give it your all. Because if you have to go to round 3 before a judge your looking at maybe 2 years. You'll get all but the first 5 months in a lump some - the 25% your atty. gets. And its easy to win with the judge but mot many can hold out 2 years and SS knows that. So anybody needs to have doc's, reports, and anything else on at least your second try. Depending what state your from the wait before going before a judge on your 3rd time can be 1 to2 years... Glad your about done and soon will be SVR
Your first time you usually get a decision in about 60 days, From what i was told most atty. won't help much until you've been turned down twice. Their cut of the action comes when you have to go before judge. Though you might get some help from them.
First I am so sorry about the biopsy results.  Piecemeal necrosis and the score of 15/18 sounds pretty bad.  You are on treatment, aren't you?  How are you handling it?

I don't think I can add much -- can do pretty much said it all.  DOCUMENT DOCUMENT DOCUMENT.  I haven't filled out the SSD application, only the SSI application for my daughter, years ago, but they are similar. There are several pages of questions to fill out on how you feel, but more importantly you must document all the doctors you have seen.  Since you have depression, you should be able to document with a psychological report.  Don't expect them to contact all these doctors - they will, but it will be faster to attach the reports yourself. When I did my daughters, I summarized by date each medication she was on and for how long.  I also summarized her job record with specifics on why she lost jobs. It is not an easy process, but if you are denied you can appeal.  The claim goes back to the application if you are then accepted.  Lawyers usually work for a percent of this back fee.