Aa
A
A
A
Close
Hepatitis C Community
13.4k Members

Statistics of how many people on tx?

Does anyone know how many people are on tx?  All of the web sites I visit, it seems there are just  a handful of people who post questions and reply to those questions. Just a small community helping each other out. I really depend on these web sites for education and so that I don't feel so alone. Sometimes I feel like the only person in San Diego on tx.  So I was just wondering if anyone had the stats on how many people have hepc and how many are on tx.
21 Responses
I don't have any stats to give you but I believe there are 4 million plus Americans alone with HCV -- as far as how many KNOW IT and how many are treating who knows? I would imagine quite a few don't even know they have it.
People reach out in different ways.  Most of us who go online are comfortable with computers and an online environment.  Ask your doc how many patients he treats and tell him why you want to know, then ask him how many docs treating Hep C patients in the greater San Diego area.  That will give you a very small idea of the number of heppers in your area.  

There are probably a number of support groups in your area, as some people need face to face support.  Others either don't need, or don't want support while others are ashamed and want no one else knowing they have the plague as they veiw it.  I've met all of these type people.

Some docs say that the online community is made up of the "problem children"  a minority of heppers who have had bad reactions and are therefore overly vocal.  While there are a very few who fit this description online, most of the people I see are simply trying to take some control of something that out of nowhere came along and tried to take control of their lives.  We share info, ideas and support.

Kim
How very true Kim. When I first found out, my 'first' doctor told me to stay off the internet because I was going to read a lot of garbage. While I agree that that is some very old information out there, and not worth reading, I'm sure glad I didn't listen to him because I would have never found this site which gives me a lot of comfort at times when I need it. :)
Hi everyone I hope Regmel doesn't mind but I have a question and it was already full.
Has anyone heard of the benefits of MSM (sulphur) ?
I agree with Kim wholeheartedly.  He points out that those of us online tend to be the type who wish to take control of our disease instead of being controlled by it. I know a couple of people who have done tx who never questioned anything the doctor told them and suffered alone.
I read, tho I've lost the site, that of the diagnosed HCV patients in the US (over 4,000,000 already diagnosed and suspected more than 4-5 times that have it) only about 12% are doing tx.  Of those I know personally with hep, 4 are not doing tx and one, besides myself, is doing it.  So, 12 % of 4,000,000 is 4,800 on tx.
I agree with Galen.  On the internet one gets the impression that everyone with the disease is on TX but the reality is that very few do it.
Have an Answer?
Top Hepatitis Answerers
317787 tn?1473362051
DC
683231 tn?1467326617
Auburn, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Answer a few simple questions about your Hep C treatment journey.

Those who qualify may receive up to $100 for their time.
Explore More In Our Hep C Learning Center
image description
Learn about this treatable virus.
image description
Getting tested for this viral infection.
image description
3 key steps to getting on treatment.
image description
4 steps to getting on therapy.
image description
What you need to know about Hep C drugs.
image description
How the drugs might affect you.
image description
These tips may up your chances of a cure.
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.