A
A
A
Close
Hepatitis C Community
13.4k Members
1669790 tn?1333666195

Telaprevir SVR Rates Unaffected by Ribavirin Dose Reduction

For those struggling with anemia, following is some recent information regarding Riba dose reduction with Telaprevir.  Sorry if it was already posted.  

The data shows that similar sustained virologic response (SVR) rates were achieved regardless of ribavirin dose reduction, including dose reduction to ≤ 600mg/day in a telaprevir-based treatment regimen for both treatment naïve and previously treated genotype-1 chronic HCV patients.[1]

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/incivo-telaprevir-svr-rates-unaffected-by-ribavirin-dose-reduction-in-treatment-naive-and-previously-treated-patients-with-genotype-1-chronic-hcv-147925655.html

29 Responses
1747881 tn?1546179478
Thanks for posting this, I am in wk 35, my HGB that had been holding steady in the 11's all though tx dropped to 8.9 and I was reduced from 1000 to 400 mg of riba and put back on weekly labs, I thought the reduction to 400 mg was a little drastic but I am in a trial and protocol states that if I drop below 8 it is a safety issue and I will be removed from the trial.
446474 tn?1446351282
A very common question by very many people. Always good to reiterate and give documentation so people who are trying know that it is not just another "theory" but is based on clinical data.

While we assume this is also true for those treating with Boceprevir (as it is also a protease inhibitor) it would be nice if someone performed a retrospective sub-analyses of the SPRINT-2 (treatment naive) and RESPOND-2 (treatment experienced) studies also just so we have the data.

Thanks for posting!

Hector
1995824 tn?1330382649
I was also reduced to 400 mg of ribavirin when my hemoglobin dropped to 7.7.
Yes this is true, but only once one is Und. Trials showing a lower dose of riba starting out did not work out to well.
Heres a link, while this is on boceprevir the same applys to telaprevir.

As you can see below, lower dose = lower SVR rates... Once one becomes und they don't think it plays much of a factor in SVR rates.

Finally, in the SPRINT-1 study of boceprevir for genotype 1, treatment-naive patients, those receiving low-dose RBV achieved an SVR rate of only 36% vs 50% with standard weight-based RBV dosing, each combined with boceprevir and pegIFN
http://www.clinicaloptions.com/Hepatitis/Annual%20Updates/2011%20Annual%20Update/Modules/DAA%20Naive/Pages/Page%204.aspx

Its under Ribavirin
223152 tn?1346981971
Well I see Incevik is getting on the band wagon too - like Victrelis.  

However, there is still not enough information specifically on relapsers and cirrhotics.  I hope the information posted in new studies is correct, but until they sort out the "hard to treat" I find the information significant only to treatment naive who (as can do said) have already achieved a UND.
Have an Answer?
Top Hepatitis Answerers
317787 tn?1473362051
DC
683231 tn?1467326617
Auburn, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Answer a few simple questions about your Hep C treatment journey.

Those who qualify may receive up to $100 for their time.
Explore More In Our Hep C Learning Center
image description
Learn about this treatable virus.
image description
Getting tested for this viral infection.
image description
3 key steps to getting on treatment.
image description
4 steps to getting on therapy.
image description
What you need to know about Hep C drugs.
image description
How the drugs might affect you.
image description
These tips may up your chances of a cure.
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.