Hepatitis C Community

Transmission Hep C

Hey Guys

Does anybody know if it is possible to contract hepatitis in water ie a small swimming pool or jacuzzi. Obviously the incident in question is somebody with Hep C cut themselves (quite badly) on a glass and obviously bled in the water whilst we were still inside.

You would have to have blood to blood contact to transfer hep C.  There is always a remote possibility that that could happen in a situation like you mentioned, but it is highly unlikely.  If anyone there had an open cut, it would be prudent to get tested.  Perhaps someone else will tell you how long it takes to detect the hep C if contact has been made, because I don't know.

<font size="3"color="#6600CC">As friole said</font>

<font size="2"color="#330066"> Hepatitis-C is only contracted by a Blood to Blood transfer (contract).

Here is a link to a very good WEB site that should answer most all of your questions about the transfer of Hep-C.</Font>

a href="http://www.janis7hepc.com/Modes%20of%20Transmission.htm
">Janis Web Site</a>

God Bless

TonyZ

<a href="http://www.janis7hepc.com/Modes%20of%20Transmission.htm
">Janis Web Site</a>

I could not make that link work so here is the link again...maybe this time it will work (or it's just my work computer that wouldn't let it work)

http://janis7hepc.com/

I can really relate to the journey back from TX. I am 9 months post. This is my 3rd TX. It took me almost 2 years to recover from the first TX.

Hang in there, you will feel better!!!!!

Blessings

TonyZ
It will all be worth it when your undetectable results come back from that PCR.  Isn't this waiting business fun?
DJL
<font size="3" color="#6600CC">Med Help has dissables the ability to forward to onther links.

Cut and Paste this web address into your web address bar in internet explorer..</font>

Modes of Transmission

The hepatitis C virus (HCV) is one of the most important causes of chronic liver disease in the United States. It accounts for about 15 percent of acute viral hepatitis, 60 to 70 percent of chronic hepatitis, and up to 50 percent of cirrhosis, end-stage liver disease, and liver cancer. Almost 4 million Americans, or 1.8 percent of the U.S. population, have antibody to HCV (anti-HCV), indicating ongoing or previous infection with the virus. Hepatitis C causes an estimated 8,000 to 10,000 deaths annually in the United States.

A distinct and major characteristic of hepatitis C is its tendency to cause chronic liver disease. At least 75 percent of patients with acute hepatitis C ultimately develop chronic infection, and most of these patients have accompanying chronic liver disease.

Chronic hepatitis C varies greatly in its course and outcome. At one end of the spectrum are patients who have no signs or symptoms of liver disease and completely normal levels of serum liver enzymes. Liver biopsy usually shows some degree of chronic hepatitis, but the degree of injury is usually mild, and the overall prognosis may be good.

At the other end of the spectrum are patients with severe hepatitis C who have symptoms, HCV RNA in serum, and elevated serum liver enzymes, and who ultimately develop cirrhosis and end-stage liver disease. In the middle of the spectrum are many patients who have few or no symptoms, mild to moderate elevations in liver enzymes, and an uncertain prognosis.

Researchers estimate that at least 20 percent of patients with chronic hepatitis C develop cirrhosis, a process that takes 10 to 20 years. After 20 to 40 years, a smaller percentage of patients with chronic disease develop liver cancer. Approximately 170,000,000 people worldwide and 4,000,000 in the United States are infected with HCV.

The virus is transmitted primarily by blood and blood products. The majority of infected individuals have either received blood transfusions prior to 1990 (when screening of the blood supply for HCV was implemented) or have used intravenous drugs.

Sexual transmission between monogamous couples is rare but HCV infection is more common in sexually promiscuous individuals. Perinatal transmission from mother to fetus or infant is also relatively low but possible (less than 10%). Many individuals infected with HCV have no obvious risk factors. Most of these persons have probably been inadvertently exposed to contaminated blood or blood products.

Myths of Hepatitis C Transmission

Like many common diseases, HCV is often misunderstood, and a number of myths have developed about how the disease is spread. Contrary to what you may have heard, hep C is not transmitted by:

Sneezing
Coughing
Hugging
Contaminated food or water
Sharing dishes, glasses or eating utensils
Casual contact.

How can you protect yourself from getting hepatitis C?

Unlike hepatitis B, there is no vaccine protective against hepatitis C (the HBV vaccine provides no protection against HCV), and prior infection with HCV does not protect against future infections as is the case with HBV.

To reduce your risk of becoming infected with hepatitis C:

Avoid sharing needles, IV drugs, and drug paraphernalia

Avoid skin piercing or tattoos

Practice standard precautions if you are a health care worker

Use care when handling any items that may have HCV-infected blood on them (such as razors, toothbrushes, nail clippers, sanitary napkins, and tampons)
Consider this

Posted Apr. 18, 2004

If you are thinking about getting a tattoo or body piercing, you will have many things to consider. How will it look? What will your family think? Will you want to live with it for the rest of your life? The most important things to consider are the health risks and your safety.

Recognize the risk
DON'T WORRY,

THE HOT WATER AND CHLORINE SHOULD KILL ANY VIRUS AT ALL. I HAVE BEEN HAVING SEX WITH MY WIFE FOR 35 YEARS WHILE INFECTED AND SHE IS NEGATIVE SO I DO NOT THINK A LITTLE BLOOD IN A THOUSAND GALLONS OF WATER WILL HURT. DO NOT GIVE IN TO PARANOA
I hope it's o.k. to jump in here with a post relating to comments made way down on another post.
Califia and Chevy -- I can't tell you how helpful your posts were for me to read and ponder. Both of you really got me thinking about being a bit easier on myself and realizing it may take a while to feel better. It's just so hard -- we're finally off this nasty poison and just want to be normal (or better than normal) again. But, I'm going to lighten up and just try to go with how I'm feeling each day and not take it as any indication of how I'll feel forever.... And Califia -- it was good for me to hear how tx seemed to affect your creativity -- it's very strange to know the creative process is such a part of who I am and to feel almost none of it right now. But, again you have helped me understand this too is just a part of the whole tx journey. So thank you both and I wish you each all the best.
Rifle -- Thank you for your comments. I'm so glad you have had an easy time of tx. Someone needs to! I'll be seeing Kilby in two weeks and I'll do a 6 week pcr (with the test that goes down to <2). Here's hoping SVR is ours forever!
I read your post and when you mentioned Kilby I just had to ask you if you meant Dr. Kilby? The reason I ask is because we see a Dr. Kilby and I was wondering if it is one and the same. It can be such a small world at times. Hope everyone is doing well, God bless...
I can answer that.  Does your Dr. Kilby work in Portland at the virology treatment center?
DJL
Portland ME or OR?
I knew someone would make that distinction.  Portland, ME.
DJL
wow ...  I love Portland ME..My daughter just moved from Auburn to Asheville NC in July...Portland is a great city, love the Art Museum there...

Beth
just been recently diagnosed with hepatitis c. had my biopsy done today. my last count was 4mil and my geneotype is 1..doctor wants to start me on the peginterferon and ribavirin but i read up on mesosilver what should i do......also i want to have children..i know there is a less than 10% chance but that still does not help ease my mind...is there a woman/women out there who can help
Keep away from the mesosilver.  It is quack medicine and is potentially dangerous.  When I was first diagnosed (back when the only tx was regular interferon w/out riba and the cure rate was 10%) I explored alternative medicine and took milk thistle, etc.  Don't know if it helped but it didn't cure HCV, it took peg interferon and ribavarin to do that.
Others will come on and tell you about biopsy and genotypes (I don't have time right now. . . have to go to work) and the reasons that you may want to treat now as opposed to wait.  You should consider these opinions and make an educated choice.  
Ina, 6'0", 190 lbs & can bench 320 (well, could before tx, now I am at 200 but getting stronger by the week post- tx).  Definitely not a butterball.  Mmmmmmmmmm. . . .butterball........
DJL
Forgot something.  Who told you that the cure rate was only 10%???  That might have been true 10 years ago, but for geno 1's and 4's nowadays the cure rate is said to be 50%.  I think it is more like 75% if you take the meds religiously.  I was a type 2 (2's and 3's have 80-90% cure rate), but there are a lot of geno 1's on this forum who have cleared or are in the process of doing so.  Of course, the tx regimen for geno 1 is a little more severe than for geno 2 and 3 as it involves (generally) 48 weeks of tx as opposed to 24, or 12.
If your doctor told you that you had a 10% chance, you may wish to get another doctor.  
DJL
Welcome to the forum. You didn't say how old you were, but I assume fairly young since you still want children.  I believe it takes six months for the Ribavirin to leave your system after treatment before you can even think about getting pregnant. The Ribavirin is very dangerous to the fetus.   But the answer is absolutley, you can have children after you are done treating.

There are many of us on our way to clearing here - by far more than 10%.  Some of us exhibit all the classic side effects, but not all.  Tonight will be my 12th shot and other than some very tired days, do not have other sides.

Best of luck
Hi -- Sorry it took me a bit to see your post. My Dr. Kilby is in Portland, Maine at the Virology Center. In Maine, he seems to be the most experienced and knowledgeable regarding Hep C (although I must say at times I have known more than he...). If you are in Maine, isn't the weather absolutely wonderful?  I always feel as though each warm and sunny day in September is a gift. The garden is still going strong and the heat isn't on yet!! Hope all is going well for you.
thank you for your help..very grateful for your input...oh by the way just turned 28....