Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Treatment for Headaches

I just finished week 2 of Sovaldi/Olysio and am having constant headaches. My family doc here in rural Alaska is afraid to give me anything like Vicodin or other pain meds that contain tylenol, she doesn't want to cause more liver damage. I told her I'd ask this forum what they are doing for headaches, any ideas for me? What are the rest of you doing? Thank  You!
7 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I do not like to take Tylenol.  (It causes quite a controversy here when I state what I take for pain,Z but here it goes.)  

I take aspirin.  If I need something stronger (like when I had shoulder surgery last summer) I take Hydrocodone + aspirin.  There are pills containing hydrocodone & aspirin just like Vicodin contain hydrocodone & tylenol.  I can't remember the name of the particular one I took last summer, but Azdone, Alor 5/500, Panasal 5/500 are all brand names of hydrocodone & aspirin and can be taken for pain.

It looks like the 5/500 = 5mg of hydrocodone and 500 mg of aspirin.

Of course, I'm assuming you know the warnings of taking aspirin, which IMO, are preferable than the warnings of Tylenol.

Good luck
HC
Helpful - 0
I'm a patient  of Mayo and on the new hep c meds.      You can take up to 2000 mgs a day as long as you don't drink alcohol.     It is the combo of the two that harms your liver.       Kim
Helpful - 0
7395021 tn?1394075927
The Pegasus gives me a migraine type headache. The only thing that helps me are 2 Excedrin. Takes it away in 20 minutes. I can not go through this treatment without any relief I can get for my side effects. Don't even want to ask if it's ok. Only thing that works for me. RX pain meds didn't even faze it. Good luck!
Helpful - 0
2059648 tn?1439766665
I believe the limit of Tylenol you can take per day is 2000 mg.   I wouldn't suffer if I didn't have to.  

Best to you
Helpful - 0
1815939 tn?1377991799
Many Primary Care Docs are not well educated about which drugs people with Hep C can take. Many think that people with Hep C cannot take Tylenol, but that is not true. Even people with Cirrhosis can take Tylenol as long as they don't take too much. Usually it is safe to take up to 2000 mg of Tylenol in divided doses in a 24 hour period. If the headaches are severe, then your doctor may have to order something more potent for the headaches.

When I was on treatment I took Tylenol when I got a headache. Plus I slept with a cold pack. (I used the cold packs from the pharmacy, the ones they used to pack the Interferon in.) I often just slept with the cold pack on my forehead. It helped a lot. I kept it in the bed so it would be handy at night time. If I had a severe headache, I took Tylenol with Codeine.
Helpful - 0
Thank you, I'll do some research and talk with the doc again.
Helpful - 0
2059648 tn?1439766665
It doesn't surprise me your doctor isn't giving you Vicodin for a headache.  What does surprise me is you can't take Tylenol.  My understanding is the recommended daily amount is ok.  It's when people take excessive amounts that it becomes a problem.  Many people have taken Tylenol with there interferon shot while on treatment for hepatitis C.   Are you sure your doctor just doesn't want to give you Vicodin?  If I were you....I would give my doctor a call right now and ask exactly what can you take for a headache.  I think you might be surprise there is something you can take.  My guess is its Tylenol.  
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Hepatitis C Community

Top Hepatitis Answerers
317787 tn?1473358451
DC
683231 tn?1467323017
Auburn, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Answer a few simple questions about your Hep C treatment journey.

Those who qualify may receive up to $100 for their time.
Explore More In Our Hep C Learning Center
image description
Learn about this treatable virus.
image description
Getting tested for this viral infection.
image description
3 key steps to getting on treatment.
image description
4 steps to getting on therapy.
image description
What you need to know about Hep C drugs.
image description
How the drugs might affect you.
image description
These tips may up your chances of a cure.
Popular Resources
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.
Can I get HIV from surfaces, like toilet seats?