Hepatitis C Community

Treatment symptoms

Hi :)

My close friend was dx with Hep C in 2004. She is about to start treatment in a few weeks - the usual combo - and we are both really concerned about the symptoms. Can anyone please share their experiences of the treatment both good and bad to give us a balanced view. Also is there any practical advice about what I can do to support her?

Thank you very much

Anna x
Hi there...you say your friend is about to start tx. with the "usual combo"  The standard tx. now for geno type 1 iscurrently" triple "therapy with Inf/Riba and either victrelis or Incivek

As far as good things about treatment ..there is  an approx. 75% chance of a cure..and the not so good part is ..some people have differing side effects to the meds..some people very mild and others more severe.

Good luck to your friend
Will
Meant to add...if she has Geno type 2 or 3 then the therapy is still the combo of INF/RIBA
Will

thank you for your response. I am new to all this and only learned of her illness last week so I am giving myself a crash course so I can be as helpful as poss. I know her geno type is 3!? I believe that gives the best prognosis is that right?

Anna x
Hi there....yes with geno type 3 she would have approx. a 75 % chance of success  and the protocol is to do the combo of Interferon and Ribavirin  for (usually) 24 weeks.

Welcome to our group and feel free to ask anything that may come up...lots of good folks here.
Will
You really gotta stay positive, keep life normal during treatment.  Focus on your goals and believe in yourself.  It is also important to be a smart and active patient, get multiple opinions on things.  Some side effects:  hair loss, thyroid issues, bone marrow suppression (important to check your blood work early and often to catch that, can be corrected).  
Sorry, forgot to mention, treatment and side effects really vary on an individual basis, those are just some possibilities, not meant to scare you.
:) Thank you SO much - I have directed her to the site I think she will find you guys beyond helpful! x