VA Hep C treatment

Denied Hep C treatment in 2003 because "not service connected" , then in 2019 received Hep C treatment by the VA, but still wasn't service connected. Why did the VA decline to treat my hepatitis C in 2003 but did treat me in 2019 ? I wasn't service connected in 2019 which is why they said I wasn't eligible for treatment in 2003 ?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
The old interferon treatments were tough to endure for most patients I treated 3 times with interferon based treatment in the 80’s and 90’s.

The new DAA’s came out in 2014.

Someone with cirrhosis absolutely needs to be treated.
Helpful - 0
I was diagnosed as Hep C in 1990 when I donated blood I got out in 1988
Helpful - 0
Just better treatments and that treating and curing now is less expensive than the chronic care of liver disease and patients needing transplant is my guess

“ Veterans Health Administration is a national leader in the treatment of the hepatitis C virus. Since all-oral direct-acting antivirals became available in 2014, VA has virtually eliminated hepatitis C among Veterans in their care, treating more than 110,000 Veterans, with cure rates exceeding 90 percent.”

https://www.hepatitis.va.gov/hcv/treatment/index.asp
Helpful - 0
I would say you would have to ask them. But in 2003 there really weren’t very effective treatments for hep C and they were somewhat difficult to endure. Now with the new DAA meds there are very effective treatments available. If I were to guess I’m thinking they now have a greater ability to successfully treat Hep c so they now have an added emphasis to treat veterans even if not considered a service related illness.
I’m an 8 year Army vet but as I don’t have a service related condition or sirves during armed conflict I don’t qualify for VA medical benefits.

Best of luck
Helpful - 0
thank you for your response. I was wondering if a legal matter occurred at sometime between 2003 and 2019 that made eligable to be treated in 2019 because nothing changed other than hep c (2003) and hep c with cirrhosis (2019) Just to clarify it wasnt until 2003  hep c was diagnosed. The heptitis virus unknown was diagnosis in 1978.
The "armed conflict" qualification shouldn't apply when exposure occurs on homeland.

You are reading content posted in the Hepatitis C Community