Hepatitis C Community

VL Vs how long you have had HCV

Hi all,

I read somewhere in my travels that if you have a very high viral load, it might suggest you have had HCV for a longer period of time.   Has anyone else heard of this and is there any validity to that statement?

Is there anything that suggest approximatly how long you have had this disease?  Amount of liver damage maybe confirmed by a biopsy?

There are a few major time frames I can think of where I may have gotten this (still waiting to see if it is actually still active btw).  When I was born ( mom has Hep C), when I was in my 20's (Coke/staws = not so safe), in my 40's (taking care of my invalid mom and working in a doctors office for a few years) or just new (50 yrs old now, my significant other has this, type 1, non responder, stage 3... but we have been careful and I know it's very hard to get sexually).
Well supposedly with stage 3 liver damage and a history in the early 80s I had the disease for over 20years........however my VL was only 568,000. So I'm not sure it's relevant at all.

most of us will never know for sure when we got it, the only important day really is when you find out you have it so you can treat it/watch and wait it until it's necessary.

After a while it won't bug you so much anymore so try not to think about it too much - it's really a moot point.
"Is there anything that suggest approximatly how long you have had this disease?"

Usually it is more of an educated guess based on your history, unless it is caught in the acute phase.

"I read somewhere in my travels that if you have a very high viral load, it might suggest you have had HCV for a longer period of time"

Not really a very good indicator either, many here have had hep c for many years and still have a viral load in the low ranges.

My docs educated guess was 25 yrs based on at risk behavior, VL was 11.5 mill in june, was 14.2 mill in aug for a baseline starting treatment so VL can fluctute
fluctuate
My biggest fear is I may have passed it on to my children, and having to tell my ex incase he should get tested (he can be a little more then cruel at times), guess that's why I worry so much about when i got it.  I know it takes a while to get any kind of liver damage, maybe 10-20 yrs?  So that may tell me more if it ends up that I have to get a biopsy.  Thanks for the answers though, i figured it was a shot in the dark, ha.
" I know it takes a while to get any kind of liver damage, maybe 10-20 yrs?"

Hard to predict as well for me 25 yrs = Batts grade 3 act 2 (heavy bridging fibrosis,no obvious cirrhosis) but many here have had it longer with much less liver damage. Biopsy is really the best way to know for sure how much progression has taken place
vertical transmission is estimated to occur in about 5% of all cases.1 This involves transmitting the virus from mother to child during pregnancy or delivery.

http://www.hepatitisneighborhood.com/content/in_the_news/archive_2303.aspx