Hepatitis C Community

Vertex trials in Washington State

My grand new doc from Seattle just called me, he is referring me to the recruiter for the Telapravir study they will be doing at U of Washington.  I should be ecstatic, right?  Well, I talked with her and OMG!

In the state of Washington, there will be eight, yes, eight non-responders on the Vertex trial.  Now, we may be a smaller state, stuck up north in the corner, but I gotta tell you, we have a lot of people here.  And when the recruiter told me eight folks would be chosen, I kind of choked.  She also said she had a list of about 200 folks already who were interested.  Jeeeeeeeee   sus!  

There will be trials all over, the total number of people will be very big, and the evil rash will be addressed and controlled, but to be fair and get a cross section of all of us, Washington state will have eight.  I am not sure I am that lucky of a person, but my doc is going to bat for me.

Wanted to let everyone know that Vertex isn't getting rash over the rash, the trial goes on, but here in Washington, it won't even start until June.  So we have a long wait.  At the bottom of a list of 200 people.  Man, oh, man.

Willow's wigged out
Figure half the folks aren't serious or something so that leaves you, what, 8 out of 100 or an 8% chance of getting in. Maybe if you become the private patient of the lead investigator your chances could double that. No harm in giving it a shot. Ever think of moving out of a hick state to someplace with lots more people? LOL. But seriously, if the trials are successful, the next phase should be very large and hopefully those that don't get in now will get in then.

Be well,

-- Jim
Hi Willows.  I was just looking through the list on the trials site and most states aren't open yet.  As you point out by the time they are open to recruit you may have a sizable list of people in front of you. Here's the link;
http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct/show/NCT00420784?order=1

Here's another way of looking at it.  Of the 200 people that are on the list there will be some of them that will not qualify for various reasons.  There may also be some wiggle room. Beyond the list of excluding factors listed on the trials site there could be some "grey areas" where the hospital, clinic, or whomever makes the call may decide that of the (this is just an example) of the 200 in line only 150 are actually qualified (not ruled out by the exclusions).  Of these there could be 50 "grey area" folks that qualify but other factors might make them less desirable.

I'd have to check the list but OTHER than the list @trials other sub-prime factors could be age, genotype (2's 3's and 4's may be better suited for a phase 3 trial), geographic proximity to the clinic, general health (for instance someone with dental problems, other unlisted excluding factors, and of course VIBE.  : )   They want people who can understand and that will follow the agreement.  They may have some sort of sense about who will complete the study and who, although they may fit the qualifications, may not seem like they will stick with it or that their life circumstances may make it harder for them to conform to the amount of contact required at the hospital/clinic.

Who knows; there may be a smaller group than 100 you have to beat out.  To increase your odds have your medical data up to date, make sure that any dental work is done in advance, think about "selling" yourself as an ideal trial applicant.  Even if people are in line ahead of you they could have a change of circumstances prior to the trial start date.  You need to be ready.

best of luck,
Willy
I wonder why you say geno 2 and 3 would be "better suited" for a Prove3 trial? It's bad enough we aren't even included in anything so far! It's unreal to me that they would not even include any geno 2 and 3 all along in the trials here.

Why would you say we are any less "suited" than geno 1? It is completely unfair to leave us out of the trials.

Were geno 2 and 3 excluded in Europe too?

In the US geno 1 is the most prevelant, but that is not true in othere countries. I think geno 3 is most prevelant in Europe. I hope we are included there. Geno 3 is the most prevalent in Australia too.

I agree with what Willy says.  Don't think about who else is in the running, just go for it yourself and give it everything you've got.

When I first put my name down for the trial I am currently in I found out that there were a whole lot of other people on the same waiting list as me.  However putting one's name down on a waiting list is not the same as making the huge commitment to take part in the trial.  I held out and at the end of the day because of this or that there were huge dropout numbers.  Add those to the people who did not meet the inclusion and exclusion criteria and we ended up with a group of only 9.  

If you carefully go over all the criteria for inclusion and exclusion and you reckon that you fit, and you are truthfully willing to make the commitment, then have no doubt that you are in with a chance.

Good luck
dointime.                
Hey Willows; Indiana only has eight as well.  

I don't have a position locked in but I do have great rapport with my doc at IU Medical Center.  He knows that I'm motivated and educated which I believe has bearing on the selection.

If not this trial the next, which will be bigger.

Mike

Mike