Aa
A
A
A
Close
Hepatitis C Community
13.3k Members

Vitamins A, D and B3

What's the deal with these supplements? Are we (hep C +) supposed to avoid them entirely, use them with certain restrictions, or what? Can't seem to find a definitive answer anywhere. Asked my GP if I should avoid B3, use it in moderation, or...? His reply: "I don't know" ... which I respect, because it's a lot better than, "yeah, whatever." And there are a lot of things he does know. Just not this thing, vitamins A, D and B3 in the context of hep C. Anybody?
31 Responses
How can anyone know?
Unless someone wants to waste a load of money taking two groups of Hepatitis C patients feeding one a paricular supplement and the other not and then monitoring them for a year it is all speculation.
If you take hepatitis out of the equation recent studies on supplements veer heavily toward there being no benefit .
DO NOT take vit A supp While on TX, or even if you have a damaged liver

YOU SAID:
recent studies on supplements veer heavily toward there being no benefit .

can you post this info?
476246 tn?1418874514
You can have your vitamin levels checked through blood tests.

Many people have Vitamin D deficiency and you would need to take a supplement. My doctor prescribed Vit D, even when I was on treatment.

Vitamin A and iron can be a problem, as the liver has a hard time metabolizing them, when one has a liver illness and should thus usually be avoided.

I never heard about B3 being a problem, but I am not sure about that. I am taking a multivitamin without A and without iron.... it contains most of the B's
There are numerous reports on this major study on the net.
I have pulled this one at random.
It was a big study and made headlines all over he world.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/health/2003592944_vitamins280.html
This dont seem like a study,just an article wrttten by a govt newspaper and it only mentions 3 supplements anyway.It also just says taking these 3 wont make you live longer,the idea is not to live longer ,its the quailty of life,not the length,
How many of the peolpe died in this so called study???/becaus ethe study was done on the premise

People are taking these supplements with the presumption that they will live longer or better. This shows they are not living longer and in fact may be at higher risk of dying."

be
i DO NOT believe for 1 second taking these 3 vitamins will KILL you like this artilce says.looks like someis trying to scare people into not taking something healthy
One of the largest and most authoritive studies ever undertaken,pooled data from 68 studies involving more than 232,000 people and published in The Journal Of The American Medical Association.Participating institutions were renowned hospitals and universities.
Yet to you 'This dont seem like a study,just an article'
It is obvious from your dismissive and seemingly uncomprehending comments that you have not processed the information and moreover you don't want to simply because it does not agree with your view of the world.
We all have our views,even you.
i still dont see the actual study ....just hear say ,where ia the papers?

.Participating institutions were renowned hospitals and universities.

Looks like a big pharma proganda story to me

87972 tn?1322664839
The thing is, Rocker, the article cited above isn’t necessarily HCA’s view, or mine either for that matter; but the result of exhaustive, evidence based studies performed by researchers. If you feel differently, please feel free to provide supportive evidence to the contrary. But don’t bother with blather from non-reviewed articles such as commercial firms that sell product. That stuff doesn’t hold water here, and only takes up bandwidth in the forum--

Bill
87972 tn?1322664839
Here’s the abstract from the JAMA:

http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/297/8/842

Bill
Have an Answer?
Top Hepatitis Answerers
317787 tn?1473362051
DC
683231 tn?1467326617
Auburn, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Answer a few simple questions about your Hep C treatment journey.

Those who qualify may receive up to $100 for their time.
Explore More In Our Hep C Learning Center
image description
Learn about this treatable virus.
image description
Getting tested for this viral infection.
image description
3 key steps to getting on treatment.
image description
4 steps to getting on therapy.
image description
What you need to know about Hep C drugs.
image description
How the drugs might affect you.
image description
These tips may up your chances of a cure.
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.