A
A
A
Close
Hepatitis C Community
13.4k Members
2065676 tn?1331426040

Week 6 Blood Work Results

Starting week 7 today with 7th shot tonite. Am pondering the numbers that i received. Am grateful for some of them but on alert for a few others. I am doing all that I can on my end but, they are what they are.

LEUKOCYTE COUNT   3.2
RBC      3.7
HEMOGLOBIN  10.7
HEMATOCRIT    33
MCV       88
MCH       29
MCHC     33
RDW       13.4
PLATELET COUNT   186
NEUTROPHILS, ABSOLUTE     1.85
LYMPHOCYTES, ABSOLUTE    .87
MONOCYTES, ABSOLUTE         .4
EOSINOPHILS, ABSOLUT          .02

Have appointment with hep c doc on the 22nd....

18 Responses
Your numbers look great for somebody on treatment, couldn't ask for anything any better at week 7. Keep an eye on your HGB but at 10.7 your still good........... Best to you.
2065676 tn?1331426040
Thank you. Hard to watch them drop as I'm sure everyone knows this. Two weeks ago that 10.7 was 11.9   Hangin in there...
If it makes you feel any better, early-onset anemia is a good sign that your body is getting enough medicine to remain SVR, after treatment.
2065676 tn?1331426040
Thank you so much for your post...Now I hadn't looked at it that way...hmmmm
Yeah, lots of times, people who have a hard time clearing this virus, will also notice that their HGB isn't going down, also. One poster on here told me his Doctor upped his Ribavirin , until it gave him (hemolytic) anemic, because he wasn't able to clear the virus, until the Riba knocked his HGB down....I will try to find an article on it for you

Here's an article, from a GastroJournal ~
  Background & Aims
Hepatitis C virus (HCV) treatment is frequently complicated by anemia from ribavirin (RBV)-related hemolysis and peginterferon-alfa (PEG-IFN)-related bone marrow suppression. We investigated the relationships among treatment outcomes, anemia, and their management with RBV dose reduction and/or erythropoiesis-stimulating agents (ESAs).

Methods
We analyzed data from a trial conducted at 118 United States academic and community centers in treatment-naïve patients with HCV genotype 1. Patients were treated for as many as 48 weeks with 1 of 3 PEG-IFN/RBV regimens. ESAs were permitted for anemic patients (hemoglobin [Hb] 3 g/dL, 43.7%; ≤3 g/dL, 29.9% (P < .001). Anemia occurred in 865 patients (28.6%); 449 of these (51.9%) used ESAs. In patients with early-onset anemia (≤ 8 weeks of treatment), ESAs were associated with higher SVR rate (45.0% vs 25.9%; P < .001) and reduced discontinuation of treatment because of adverse events (12.6% vs 30.1%, P < .001). ESAs did not affect SVR or discontinuation rates among patients with late-stage anemia.

Conclusions
Among HCV genotype 1-infected patients treated with PEG-IFN/RBV, anemia was associated with higher rates of SVR. The effect of ESAs varied by time to anemia; patients with early-onset anemia had higher rates of SVR with ESA use, whereas no effect was observed in those with late-onset anemia. Prospective trials are needed to assess the role of ESAs in HCV treatment.
Have an Answer?
Top Hepatitis Answerers
317787 tn?1473362051
DC
683231 tn?1467326617
Auburn, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Answer a few simple questions about your Hep C treatment journey.

Those who qualify may receive up to $100 for their time.
Explore More In Our Hep C Learning Center
image description
Learn about this treatable virus.
image description
Getting tested for this viral infection.
image description
3 key steps to getting on treatment.
image description
4 steps to getting on therapy.
image description
What you need to know about Hep C drugs.
image description
How the drugs might affect you.
image description
These tips may up your chances of a cure.
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.