Hepatitis C Community

Weight Loss that just might Stick

Been playing around with diet lately both to reduce cholesterol and waist line. A new study shows that a variation on the low-carb diet  just might be the right combo. Unlike traditional low carb diets which the authors say usually fail, this diet appears to allow ample carbs for breakfast and then switches to a low-carb regimen for the rest of the day. Personally, I'm thinking of modifying my diet in a similar manner. BTW this isn't an entirely new concept -- little is in nutrition -- and it has some similarties to a book I read a number of years ago called "The Carbohydrate Addict's diet" that basically allowed one "reward" meal per day with low-carb eating the rest of the day. Here, the "reward" meal appears to be breakfast, but it's possible the same results would have come out if the reward meal was luch or dinner.

http://www.nbc10.com/health/16641842/detail.html

Eating a big breakfast with lots of carbs and protein may help people lose weight and keep it off, researchers said.

The plan includes a low-carb, low-calorie diet for the rest of the day.

Dr. Daniela Jakubowicz of the Hospital de Clinicas in Venezuela said an overall low-carb diet may cause a quick weight loss, but pounds come back quickly, as well. Only 5 percent of carb-restrictive diets are successful after two years, she said.

Jakubowicz and a team at Virginia Commonwealth University put 94 obese, inactive women on low-fat, low-calorie diets, but they differed in how carbs were distributed.

For four months, researchers looked for weight loss. The strict low-carb diet caused an average weight loss of 28 pounds; the big-breakfast version cut 23 pounds.

However, after eight months, the strict dieters had regained 18 pounds. The big-breakfast eaters continued to drop weight, losing another 16.5 pounds.

All told, those on the new diet lost more than 21 percent of their body weight, compared with just 4.5 percent for the low-carb group.

Women who ate a big breakfast reported feeling less hungry, especially before lunch and had fewer cravings for carbs than the other women did.

Jakubowicz said the big-breakfast diet works because it controls appetite and cravings for sweets and starches. It also is healthier, she said, because it allows people to eat more fruit and therefore get enough fiber and vitamins.

The big-breakfast diet includes 1,240 calories a day.
I am concerned that this diet might be affecting your cognitive function. This is the hepatitis board. Have you mistakenly posted on the wrong forum perhaps?
Mike
I echo your concerns but they regard your cognitive function :) Where have you been Mike all these years? Diet, and especially BMI not only affect liver health in general but also SVR rates. I posted this because many here are dealing with the weight/diet battle both pre and post treatment, but I'm surprised I have to tell you that.

-- Jim

So your new diet corresponds to this?
This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis.
No, I don't believe that it does.
I really did think you mistakenly posted this here and I could understand that a lot easier that this silly sophomoric defense.
Mike
-------------------------------------------------
Pfffffffttt!!!
Have you two gotten the hotel keys yet?

Yanno... For the honeymoon... LOL!

(*blush* - *grin*)

Hugs youse guys --- interesting --- I kinda do the high carb diet with no exercise. *smile*
I'm very interested in the diet info. post all you want....I will read and appreciate...tks