Hepatitis C Community

Weight Loss that just might Stick

Been playing around with diet lately both to reduce cholesterol and waist line. A new study shows that a variation on the low-carb diet  just might be the right combo. Unlike traditional low carb diets which the authors say usually fail, this diet appears to allow ample carbs for breakfast and then switches to a low-carb regimen for the rest of the day. Personally, I'm thinking of modifying my diet in a similar manner. BTW this isn't an entirely new concept -- little is in nutrition -- and it has some similarties to a book I read a number of years ago called "The Carbohydrate Addict's diet" that basically allowed one "reward" meal per day with low-carb eating the rest of the day. Here, the "reward" meal appears to be breakfast, but it's possible the same results would have come out if the reward meal was luch or dinner.

http://www.nbc10.com/health/16641842/detail.html

Eating a big breakfast with lots of carbs and protein may help people lose weight and keep it off, researchers said.

The plan includes a low-carb, low-calorie diet for the rest of the day.

Dr. Daniela Jakubowicz of the Hospital de Clinicas in Venezuela said an overall low-carb diet may cause a quick weight loss, but pounds come back quickly, as well. Only 5 percent of carb-restrictive diets are successful after two years, she said.

Jakubowicz and a team at Virginia Commonwealth University put 94 obese, inactive women on low-fat, low-calorie diets, but they differed in how carbs were distributed.

For four months, researchers looked for weight loss. The strict low-carb diet caused an average weight loss of 28 pounds; the big-breakfast version cut 23 pounds.

However, after eight months, the strict dieters had regained 18 pounds. The big-breakfast eaters continued to drop weight, losing another 16.5 pounds.

All told, those on the new diet lost more than 21 percent of their body weight, compared with just 4.5 percent for the low-carb group.

Women who ate a big breakfast reported feeling less hungry, especially before lunch and had fewer cravings for carbs than the other women did.

Jakubowicz said the big-breakfast diet works because it controls appetite and cravings for sweets and starches. It also is healthier, she said, because it allows people to eat more fruit and therefore get enough fiber and vitamins.

The big-breakfast diet includes 1,240 calories a day.
I am concerned that this diet might be affecting your cognitive function. This is the hepatitis board. Have you mistakenly posted on the wrong forum perhaps?
Mike
I echo your concerns but they regard your cognitive function :) Where have you been Mike all these years? Diet, and especially BMI not only affect liver health in general but also SVR rates. I posted this because many here are dealing with the weight/diet battle both pre and post treatment, but I'm surprised I have to tell you that.

-- Jim

So your new diet corresponds to this?
This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis.
No, I don't believe that it does.
I really did think you mistakenly posted this here and I could understand that a lot easier that this silly sophomoric defense.
Mike
-------------------------------------------------
Pfffffffttt!!!
Have you two gotten the hotel keys yet?

Yanno... For the honeymoon... LOL!

(*blush* - *grin*)

Hugs youse guys --- interesting --- I kinda do the high carb diet with no exercise. *smile*
I'm very interested in the diet info. post all you want....I will read and appreciate...tks
LOL if I ate 1200 calories for breakfast I'd gain at least 25 pounds in six months. My God that's more than we are allowed to eat in a DAY!!!!!!!!

Personally - I'm on the Meki diet - it seems to work fine for us heppers (the happy getting fat variety anyway :)

This should probably be over on the social side of the forum but - everyone I've ever known has lost and ton and then gainned back MORE on the carb diet.

The only thing that really works it to burn more calories a day than you eat and to exercise like mad. That's the part that gets me every time.
I immediately thought about the connection with HCV.
I know about six or seven guys here in Sweden geno 3s, same as me, they all cleared after 24week tx.
They all about the same age exept one he was even 10years older 64 years when treated.

they were all at least 10kg lighter then me so i senserely think weight is a HCV issue.(since i didn´t SVRed)

I have managed to loose 9kg so far ,week 24 of 48 coming up soon in present second tx.
mremeet on this forum helped me a bit by posting his detalied description about how the tx ifluenced the metabolism.
and how he shocked it back to a normal level by exluding a lot of carps
and including a lot of walking.

I did just skipped the carps for two or three weeks diidn´t skipped the carps intirely though, but did a lot of walking.( my weigt has stayed foot for 6 weeks now )

1.240calories sounds to little though, in just the breakfast sounds ok LOL
ty for posting jm

ca

ps I think the digestive system is an overlooked health aspect nowadays, although wellknown for thousands of years, how benficial a good working stomach is for the general healthiness.
I´m looking forward to more awarnes of that both from professionals and us ordinary mortals.

psps the liver is a significant part of the digestive system isn`t it?
There is a lot of controversy regarding carb or protein diets. There is a proven theory of eating in regards to one's body type. There are three types. The carb type, the protein type and the mixed type. The carb type should eat more carbs and less proteins, and always carbs first and proteins after. The protein type should eat their proteins first and their carbs after. The mixed type can enjoy eating them together. Carb types metabolize carbs easier and put on weight eating proteins and the protein type the other way around. It kind of makes sense, as we do not have the same metabolisms. It's an interesting approach. That kind of explains why ppl react so differently on the same diets.

You can read about it on mercola.com

Marcia
Good stuff. I would tend to lean towards your discovery too. That means I can still have my big bowl of cereal in the morning. It makes sense because all the metabolizm stuff happens at night so you don't want insulin(carb carrier) getting in the way towards the end of the day. Been really getting into steal cut oatmeal even though it takes 10 minutes to make.

And this diet stuff is really part of being prepared to foster succesful treatment(don't know the acronsism for that).

But I'm not defiinitly not going to hide behind a fad diet name like you have been known to do. You got carbs, fats, and proteins. How and when you blend them is just numbers.

Well I lost 60 lbs on the low carb, high protein route. i have been off the diet for a couple of months now and back to eating tons of sugar and whatever else i crave on this tox. I did gain 5 back a few weeks ago, but nothing since then. I am the weird type who always gains weight on tox.
  Jim
    Give us an example of what you eat over the course of a day.  I am curious because I have gained afew pounds and in thje past the only thing that seems to work these days is a Atkins type Diet.

Bobby