Hepatitis C Community

Wellbutrin/Ants/Big John

Thanks to input from this discussion group, hopefully my days of being depressed over Jakish's HCV infected ants (can you believe he's now using RAID !)is coming to an end. Yesterday morning I popped my first Wellbutrin XL. Wellbutrin for those neuro pharmacologically healthy is an AD (antidepressant).

First time with ADs, and as mentioned in a previous thread, it's not so much I feel *depressed* as feeling a lack of motivation to get back to what is left of my former life. Actually to get back to *part* of my prior life -- because at least for now, my post tx skin conditions make it difficult to engage in the outdoor sporting activities that I used to be obsessed with, which means I might have start acting my age and doing physical things in moderation but acting my age and moderation were never my strong suits.  

Oh, yeah, let me throw my question in before I forget. LOL.
Took the first pill yesterday -- the low dose for first week -- and I had a sore throat last night. Could be coincidental but I don't believe in coincidences any more than I believe that Big John ended up in Rakish's cell by accident :)  Other than that, I slept about an hour later and feel a big groggy. Had a really good dream though, you know the GOOD kind. LOL.

So...anyone get sore throats on Wellbutrin? How long did they last? How long does it take for the AD to start working? When I tried Lexipro some months ago (for two days) I noticed a spurt of energy right away. But nothing yet. Shrink says it will take several weeks. Hope this finds everyone well.

-- Jim
PS

Rakish, will you pleasse put down that can of RAID and get those tiny little things back on treatment or at least enroll them in one of the Vertex Arms. Maybe a sweet little arm with some honey on it.

-- Jim
"Had a really good dream though, you know the GOOD kind. LOL."

What... you were reading "War and Peace" ? (:  (:  (:

I bet that stuff will fix you right up Jim. BTW , depression doesn't necessarily mean sad and crying. One of the major symptoms of depression is the lack of desire to get on with your life and do the things that you have always loved , or liked to do prior to the depression.

I think its a good thing. I dont know much about Wellbutrin , but I bvelieve they are having some good sucess rates with it.

Good Luck,
mark
Hi, darlin'!  I took Zyban a few years ago to quit smoking.  Zyban=Welbutrin as I'm sure you know.  I didn't experience ANY of your sx from it.  In fact, the second week, when I was to take two pills, I found it too much for me - had the shakes bad.  The doc who prescribed them to me said that it would take a week or so to 'kick in'.  Groggy, heck no - just the opposit!  As I may be hubric in advising ANYTHING to you, please forgive me in advance.  I would suggest you keep trying it for another day or so, of course, if sx worsen, STOP and consult shrink straight away.  Luv ya mucho, Lori
Tele: One of the major symptoms of depression is the lack of desire to get on with your life and do the things that you have always loved , or liked to do prior to the depression.
------------------------------------
Understood, but what if you CAN'T do the things "you have always loved and liked" because of a physical limitation, in my case some post treatment skin problems? I guess there is crocheting if I can figure out how to spell it. LOL.
Thanks Lori, maybe I'm just groggy from the dream (she was a hot one) and throat feels a little better now that I've been up awhile. When you say you "had the shakes bad" were they seizures or what? I was warned that seizures are an uncommon but possible side effect and I believe they yank you off the drug if that happens. So how long did you end up taking Wellbutrin/Zyban? Maybe you can describe how it made you feel more in detail? And, yeah, did it help you stop smoking?

-- Jim
wow. Thats a hard one. (dont even think about it)

Jim , I'm going through something very similar in that the drive I have always had to play my instruments is all but gone since I started tx. It's very sad for me. And you , you cant even go outside to do the things you love if you wanted to!

Never act your age. When we start that , its down hill from there.(My opinion only)
Is there any hope of recovering from the post tx sx?
Any chance of a certain type of clothing helping?
I so get the unable to do the things you love issue.  With my back, my whole life changed for the worse.  I wasn't even allowed to hand graze my horses or groom them etc.  When I would break the rules and go into a horses stall, I wept like a baby with the loss.  This freaks horses and they would get agittated, they are so intuitive.  We had to hire help on the farm and that made me even sadder.  I found other diversions, tho not crocheting.  With the dx/tx/sx of hcv, good God!  Only this forum has saved me.  I so hope you may one day resume a somewhat normal, however modified, life.  Lori
We were, cross posting.  No, not siezures.  I'm an adrenaline junkie, among others and I just think the doubling of the Welbutrin was too much of a good thing.  Yeah, it DID work in stopping my tobacco habit - until I broke my back - picked up ciggaretts on the way home from the hospital.  Well, as you know, the very act of breathing is such an issue now days, that a good sx of this hcv tx is that I now light a cig and can hardly inhale at all.  Who'd a figured something other than svr might actually be a good thing with this nasty tx?
I think what Lori says  has a lot of merrit. Modified lifestyle.
It sounds simple , especially to us , we dont have the sx issues that your experiencing.
Jim I'm sorry , I know that when I'm having a problem with no easy answer , it gets annoying when people that really dont understand the problem to start throwing out freaking obvious statements like you never thought about it.( not talking about you Lori , but myself) So all I can say Jim is good luck and I really really hope you can resolve it.
Sorry about what you're going through with your back. I guess I've just got to grow up, suck it in, recognize my limitations for now, and move on. But because I can't seem to do the aforementioned :) hopefully MS Wellbutrin will help. Just thjinking, if MS WellButrin and Mr. Brian Fog get it on, we might just have one very happy but confused baby. LOL.

-- Jim
I threw all this out there because I value everyone'e input. Your statements are very helpful even if if I sound like I disagree it helps me think this thing through. A lot of folks have to deal with limitations and I just have to learn to. In as strange way it was a lot easier to deal with my limitations during tx because I knew tx had a beginning, middle and end. This is harder because the end is not very clear, if that makes any sense.
Right now the major skin triggers are heat, cold, hard exercise, sun, wind, alcohol, caffeine, chlorine, and simple carbs. Clothing only helps marginally but unless I have a sex change operation and become a Muslim it looks funny if I walk around with my face covered :)

After a month or so of avoiding the above and using topical medications, my face looks pretty much normal, but I'm definitely not living the life I did before treatment.

As to the future, I'm hoping time away from the treatment drugs will make a difference although the skin doctors don't think so. Theory being that the tx drugs acclerated  the Rosacea's progress and now it has a life of its own. Still, what the f*ck do doctor's know. LOL. I may also start oral antiboitics soon and some very pricey laser treatments in the fall that potentially could make a difference.

As to your guitar thing, I'm sure your desire will come back once you get off the drugs.

-- Jim

I have been on AD's off and on over the years for various rough times in my life.  after trying 4 or 5 different ones that made me have horrible dreams, gain lots of weight,  I quit them all together. Then I tried Wellbutrin about 8 or 9 years ago when I hurt my back and was going thru another major depression.  I told the Doc I was not going to take anything that was going to make me gain lots of weight again. He suggested trying the Wellbutrin.  It was a godsend.  I was able to deal with the situation and continue on with my life. I stayed on it for 2 years. Didn't gain weight and never really had any sides, but then caffine doesn't bother me (I love very dark rich coffee's too).   So this time after being diagnosed and realising that I was starting that downward slide 6 mos ago I asked my doc to put me back on it. I'm really glad he did.  I didn't have the sore throat you talk about with the AD, but since starting treatment  last week, the last few days I have noticed one.  Although I am having some other sides also.  Last night I had to leave work early from severe nausea.  I couldn't even keep water down. Better this morning and sure hope I can stay at work tonite I can't afford to lose much work.
As we all know everyone is different and handles the same medications very differently.  I hope it works for you
i understand, i still cannot go in the sun for long and have what the peg sheet described as "malaise" or do not care disease. i have 2 atvs,2 jet skis a sail boat and pontoon boat and have not felt like using any of them. i also feel achy and feveresh most of the time. these sides where not expected and i hope only temporary as well as yours.
no depression but dissalusioned. and i do wish you the best.
bobby

Bobby: described as "malaise" or do not care disease.
------------------------------
Sounds familiar. My depression is less feeling "depressed" than loss of motivation and enjoyments. Hopefully, the Wellbutrin well help.

Anyway, hadn't had blood drawn in a few months so this morning did a CBC, etc. The lady that drew the blood is quite the philosopher from past visits and today, for no apparent reason, started talking about her thoughts on arising this morning. In short, she said, hey, we're here for what 80 plus years, so, what me worry :) "
On hearing that I was thinking maybe I should drop the Wellbutrin and relabel the "do not care" disease as a higher state of being. LOL.

-- Jim
If you google "crazy meds" you'll come up with a sight put together by those who have had to deal with these meds their whole lives. More of a "there's no doctors here" sight, but these guys sure know their meds and possible sides. They definately have a sense of humor as well.

Lori, did you tell me about your back? (Brain is still under construction but progressing.)How long ago did you break it? How is it healing? Jeez, that's really crappy, just a bit more intense than cracking your noggin! Sorry if you had let everyone know, I have a problem with escaping info, cant figure out how it gets out. So how are things?
How are you doing?  My wife was on Wellbutrin a few years ago and had no sore throat.  She took it to quit smoking, it helped with the smoking part but nothing else.  She said it didn't work well on her so she stopped.  She became moody, etc.
I guess it works on some and not others.

Beagle
Nothing new here just waiting for the Wellbutin to kick in :) Sore throat may indeed be from something else or not. Felt groggy this morning so figured that was also from Wellbutrin. Then decided to do some labs since haven't done them in a couple of months. Hope this finds you well.

-- Jim
I still take the SR 150 and now I use the generic Bupropion SR 150.  I tried the two a day for awhile but was just a bit too lacadaisical so went back to one and seems to work for me.  

I was willing to shell out the $70 out of my pocket (before generic) til hubby got a job with insurance.

I will say I have one friend who didn't respond as well with the generic as the name brand.  Dunno why either.

Another week and you should know something.  You started a day ago, right?  Best of luck to you.  Smiles are on the way.  If that don't work, read the thread about how to kill HCV with Tide.  Oh never mind, you posted a good funny there!

miss
What labs did you have done?  You should be coming up on your 6 month PCR, right?

Beagle
Did everything but. Six month VL test is still a few weeks off.
You probably slept so well your mouth was hanging open!:) That happens to me sometimes. I have considered duct tape.
Morg,

Thanks. One crazy web site. LOL. Probably more info than I want so will check it more when I'm in the mood to scare myself :)

SF: I have considered duct tape.
--------------------------------
Between this and your recent "bending over" comment, I'm coming up with an interesting picture here:)

-- Jim

I have a guest room set up for Mr Malaise as he visits every so often, more than I like him to. A routine helps me a lot as does a low dose of Adderall. I also carry a note pad with me to jot down things I need to do around the house and if I rhink of a fun event to do outside the home. It soes call for some motavation on my part to get back to normal life but sadly I sometimes just don't feel like doing anything at all.
I wish you the best, Dana
re malaise, i got that word from the side affect sheet with the peg.  i remember an article in readers dig that listed all the ad's and side affects and then listed the best ad. it said to stop worrying, get off your butt and enjoy life. no sides, no cost and can be taken anytime. i love it. good luck as i know what depression is.
bobby
ps,one other side i have is having to ask my wife if we got the mail today already or if we had lunch yet???
I wonder if your daytime confinement causes you to exhibit symptons assocaiated with SAD - seasonal affected disorder
I need a notepad to remember what to get when I go down or upstairs. It drives me crazy when I shlep upstairs only to forget why I came. That out of breath thing hasn't gone away with the anemia.

Jim:  Hey, the "bending over" was on the study YOU sent me too. I think you need to go get some, your mind is wandering....NOT ME ;)
That crazy web site talks about Wellbutrin being rough on the liver. Do you know if this is true with ADs in general, or more so with Wellbutrin? I emailed my hep doc but he lets me take just about anything. Also, heard Wellbutrin and drinking don't mix very well. So between the Wellbutrin and my Rosacea, I guess my weekly beers are out for awhile :(

FL: Don't think SAD is it. Think what's making me down is having to stay inside more than staying inside. I did buy one of those SAD lamps many winters ago but ended up returning it.

SF: You're right. I posted the article but you picked out the "bending over" part :) You know, can't even remember what that article was about. LOL.
Surprise, surprise, my doc just emailed me back in answer to whether it's OK to take Wellbutrin. One word answer "Yes". One thing I'll say about him, he's certainly not an alarmist and if he ever does tell me one day not to take something I certainly will listen.
When I started tx, one of the first questions I asked was about Wellbutrin.  All my docs were okay with it.  The pharmacist checked and double checked.  There were warnings about the liver but considering I am a 3 inflamation and 2 fibrosis, we all figured it to be an okay thing.  Don't have all the literature now but ask your pharmacist for a printout.  They gave me about 10 pages.

Sure hope Wellbutrin helps you.  Remember you don't have to ramp it up to two a day unless it works for you.

miss
Yes, I did pick out the bending over part :0 I guess since I don't have the energy or libido to do much, my mind likes to play!

I took wellbutrin years ago for ADD and depression. It didn't help. If it works for ADD maybe it will help you focus and remember better.

My problem with the depression is that I am not sad, but have no motivation and am not interested in the fun things I used to do. It is a bummer. I take prozac and am thinking of switching to something that gets me motivated again.

That site you sent me to was about Hep C and neupenia, re; not getting infections. After that Neulasta shot yesterday, I am ready to NOT call my dr. when my numbers drop. Although it seems that the WBC police call him anyway.
I'm taking 150 mg of XL which is the *extended* release and only requires once a day dosing.  I'm guessing you were taking the SR which is the *sustained* release? My understanding is that if I tolerate the 150mg of XL for a week, they will up me to 300mg/day of XL. Do you remember which one you took and what the dose was?

-- Jim
It started right away. Like few hours later. I could only handle it for a week. I went on such a hyperdrive my mind came to stand still. I could not put my fingers together pointing at each other. I was so hyper and tense. But Im sure it
http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/motm/zyban/zyban1.htm

It sounds about right about the dosis I took. 2 tablets twice aday. = 300mg

this is from this website I found, but lot of links are closed down. Im sure there was more than this. You have already had the dream bit.

Abdominal Pain
Nausea
Dry mouth
Constipation
Diarrhea
Anorexia
Myalgia
Arthralgia
Insomnia
Dream abnormality
Anxiety
Disturbed concentration
Dizziness
Nervousness
Rhinitis
Increased cough
Pharygitis
Application site reaction
Rash
Pruritis
Taste perversion
If wellbutrin is the same a Zyban !!!! I can
Yes, Zyban equals Wellbutrin. Doc never told me about "43 deaths" though. I guess they leave out the minor details. LOL.

Seriously, when did the side effects start for you? Im only on my second day. Taking 150 mg/day time release which will be doubled to 300 in one week if I tolerate the lower dose. Hope it doesn't make me START smoking again :)

-- Jim
Wise words of experience. Thanks!
Hi, Lori back.  I had to go play 'well person' most of the day, but you have been on my mind.  Wellbutrin does dry one out and perhaps that's the caause of your sore throat.  Try lossanges(sic) or gum to keep the saliva flowing.  Better yet, try honey to coat your throat!  Jim, I suspect you are really afraid that you will never get your old life back and are going through a grieving process.  And this may be appropriate.  Please, keep some hope alive that, in time, you WILL be able to resume a part of what you loved about your life.  Modified, perhaps - gone - don't believe it for one moment.  This forum's mountain is in trouble and we are here for you.
I am on welbutrin myself.  I love the stuff but it does take a few weeks to get built up.  Dreams are the norm on this stuff.  I have hundreds a night but it doesn't bother me.  It is the type of AD that gives you energy and makes you want to do things.  It's good stuff abd the XL pills are the best because if you take them late at night you might have trouble sleeping.  I am switching to the xl on my next refill.  Good Luck with it because I sure have.  This stuff makes me happy as can be.

Take care,

Steve
I am a good friend of the whole family of antidepressants.  I started with effexor but I had sides such as urinary retention (T.M.I.) and restless leg syndrome so I guit. Later I tried celexa, loved it and put on 40 lbs in 4 years. Could be related to the 52 part of ladybug but I don't know. Next, I c/o weight gain so the doctor prescribed wellbutrim. It did feel like a stimulant but actually increased my anxiety so I quit. Next went to Lexapro, still on it but also take adderall for my ADHD.
When I met my liver doctor he looked at my medications, said these are o.k. they're metabolized by the kidneys not the liver. He said "I like to get my patients on an antidepressant before tx because the interferon has side affect of depression, since you smoke how about switching to Wellbutrim to help stop the smoking?" He did say antidepressants cause weight gain.  When I start an antidepressant I feel better ina bout a week.  My doctor has said 7-14 days for the full affect. Good luck, I'm a big beleiver of trying medication to see if it helps. You can always stop or try something else.  Most people try different cold medicines,pain releivers etc. till they find what works for them.
wellbutrin is pez candy compared to some other anti's and i was on 300 for bout year or so along with other ad effexor xl. worked good for that time but i was being treated for depression and anxiety vs bipolar. so watch for sides check with a shrink concerning anit meds..they are better educated than your familiy or specialist in this area.
I took my first Wellbutrin (150 mg) Thursday morning. When I woke up Friday I had a bad sore throat and was hoarse. Also felt very congested. Took my second pill Friday morning. This morning (Saturday) the sore throat and congestion was worse but I took my third pill.

Went out for breakfast, came back and sat at the computer for a few hours. Decided to get up and go out for some more to eat when I started feeling woozy, dizzy, and very anxious. Took half a Valium and ate some comfort foods.

The valium cooled out my head but the sore throat still lingers. Not sure if I coincidently came down with a cold/sore throat of if it's the drug. Sore throat is listed among frequent sides and I haven't had a cold in over a year so it would have to be a big coincidence. I decided I'm stopping Wellbutrin for now and will discuss with my doctor next week. I'm thinking maybe giving Lexapro a shot or maybe just going a natural route.

Thanks again for all your suggestions.

-- Jim