Hepatitis C Community

What did you go to the doctor for when you first found out?

Since there are so many extra hepatic manifestations of hep c I'm curious as to what you were going to the doctor for the day you found out you had hep c.

I was going for TIAs. Another friend on here told me she was going to the doctor for chest pains.

What about you?

Diane
Had no physical issues, had always been very healthy.  Was confirming that my Hep B status was indeed immune and non-contagious and the doc threw in a test for Hep C without mentioning it, just added it to the list of things to get done at the lab and I didn't notice.  So a heck of a shock to come back with good news for Hep B .... and shocking news on Hep C.  My doc has always gone that extra measure and good he did.
A routine pap and physical from my gyno.I told her I was tired all the time.She is the one that discovered the Hep c antibodies.I have been telling my GP for quite some time that I was tired all the time,you would think he would have picked up on it-Go figure !!!!I knew something was not right when I was called into her office.......
I had a major esophageal bleed and was rushed to the hospital. That's how I found out.

Mike
Blisters on my hands.  Turned out to be Porphyria Cutanea Tarda which is an extra hepatic manifestation of hepc.  Even with late stage liver disease I was very healthy and asymptomatic prior to diagnosis of PCT.

Trinity
Just a regular old physical. My diagnosis is a weird little chain of events though, that worked in my favor.

Just after New Year's, I returned to the gym with the usual New Year's resolutions. I overdid it, and was really sore the next few days - I mean almost unable to walk sore. Turns out my physical was a few days later, and my lab results showed my AST sky high from the muscle injury.

One thing led to another, and a few weeks later, the dx was confirmed.

So, a gym visit put the doctor on the track. Sure glad I went to work out that day. It may have added 20 years to my life. Ya just never know.

RBW
Same as Trin, huge liquid filled blisters on my hands.