Aa
A
A
A
Close
Hepatitis C Community
13.4k Members

What is the difference between the Coper and theGeneric Ribavirin?

I am Geno 1b 48 weeks
I will start a treatment tomorrow. I got my prescription today
Pegasys 180 ml- one a week
Coper 5 tabl- 1000 ml
but my pharmacy gives me ZyGenerics brand instead of Coper. I am so worry about side effect. Can you please tell me if there are the same?
Thank you
23 Responses
Many of us were switched by our insurance companies from brandname Ribavarin to the generic at the beginning of the year. I think it just became widely available although it's been out there for at least 6 months. Anyway--opinions differ.I know some folks on the board fought hard to stay on the brand name stuff I switched to the generic and haven't noticed the difference--side effects still stink. I suppose the jury is still out, but lots of generics have been proven just as effective as the brandnames. When I was taking the Co-peg the 'list' price was about $1,300 a month. Now that I'm taking the generic the price has dropped to a 'mere' $600 a month. My co-pay stayed at $30 but I think if I had fought for the brand name, at best my co-pay would have gone up to 50% of the $600. I think I have a lot more to worry about re: treatment and Hep C then whether I get the generic or brand name drug but that's just my opinion. I remember Jim saying that 'he chose to leave the dance with the same lady he came in with' when they tried to switch him. So--there is another opinion. By the way Jim: if you are reading this, good luck to you--I know you are winding down and weaning yourself off the board, but when I first started treatment last Spring I learned so much from you--thank you.
92903 tn?1309908311
We were <a href="http://www.medhelp.org/perl6/hepatitis/messages/40150.html">discussing that here</a> not long ago.
92903 tn?1309908311
Posting above to Illona reminded me of this study, which may bear reposting.  

<i>The use of higher dose weight-based RBV (1,000-1,600 mg/d) with EPO at the start of HCV therapy significantly increased SVR in patients with HCV genotype 1:
-across all body weights
-in both whites and blacks
The increase in SVR was achieved:
-despite the need to dose reduce ribavirin in 31 percent of patients
-significant reduction in relapse occurred. </i>

<a href="http://www.natap.org/2005/AASLD/aasld_61.htm">From Here.</a>
96938 tn?1189803458
In reading the report posted by goof....all I can say is duuhhhh.

I think the participants here, even in our less than lucid moments, could have come up with that hypothesis.  In fact, I think we have the various test groups underway in the 'Medhelp Study' going on right now...Cohorts.
92903 tn?1309908311
<i>In reading the report posted by goof....all I can say is duuhhhh.</i>

Glad to see those mental functions returning to full capacity ;-)

As I read that report, I interpret it to say that an extra riba pill a day can really improve odds for SVRs. There are a few of us here, but I think it's far from routine for folks to ask to start tx with higher than stardard riba. Woth a read for new patients, IMHO.
96938 tn?1189803458
If I knew at the start of tx what I know now I probably would have been inclined to 1000, rather than 800 in the early week/months. I think that I would even subsribe to the pre-IFN riba build-up too.  On the other hand, and this is not at all scientific, it seems like a whole lot of folks seem to cross the anemia line at 1000 and sooner or later hit that wall. Tough choices to be sure.  Riba is just nasty.
Have an Answer?
Top Hepatitis Answerers
317787 tn?1473362051
DC
683231 tn?1467326617
Auburn, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Answer a few simple questions about your Hep C treatment journey.

Those who qualify may receive up to $100 for their time.
Explore More In Our Hep C Learning Center
image description
Learn about this treatable virus.
image description
Getting tested for this viral infection.
image description
3 key steps to getting on treatment.
image description
4 steps to getting on therapy.
image description
What you need to know about Hep C drugs.
image description
How the drugs might affect you.
image description
These tips may up your chances of a cure.
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.