Hepatitis C Community

What should you eat with HepC and Liver Damage?

I found this article on Nutrition with HepC and Liver damage Foods to eat and foods to avoid.

My Question is to everyone what do you feel like the best foods for you are,and What do you eat? I'm so tired of trying to figure out what I am going to eat everyday..Please give me Your Suggestions!! Country girl has got to eat before I starve my self...

Tips to Avoid Liver Damage From Hepatitis
You need a healthy liver to convert food into energy. To avoid liver damage from hepatitis, start with a well-balanced diet.
By Dennis Thompson Jr.
Medically reviewed by Pat F. Bass III, MD, MPH

People with hepatitis need to follow a healthy lifestyle to minimize damage to the liver. Start protecting your liver by paying more attention to nutrition.

"There's no special diet for hepatitis," says Keri Gans, RD, a registered dietitian in New York City and spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association. "A person with hepatitis just needs to follow a healthy, well-balanced diet."

That diet should include:

Plenty of fruits and vegetables
    Whole grains such as oats, brown rice, barley, and quinoa
    Lean protein such as fish, skinless chicken, egg whites, and beans
    Low-fat or non-fat dairy products
    Healthy fats like those in nuts, avocados, and olive oil

"That's what you want to eat, a varied diet including those components," Gans says. "I tell my clients to picture a dinner plate. One-quarter of the plate should contain high-fiber carbohydrates like whole grains, one-quarter should contain lean protein sources, and the remaining half should contain fruits and vegetables."

To help your body better process food and function at its best, you also need to make sure you drink plenty of fluids. Water is better than caffeinated drinks like coffee and cola. Aim to drink 1 ounce of liquid for every 2 pounds of body weight each day; that means if you weigh 180 pounds, you should drink 90 ounces of water, or about 11 8-ounce glasses.

What Not to Eat or Drink

Keep in mind that an unhealthy diet can contribute to liver damage. If you eat too much high-calorie greasy, fatty, or sugary food, you'll gain weight and fat will begin to build up in your liver. A "fatty liver" can contribute to developing cirrhosis, or scarring, of the liver. Fat in your liver can also interfere with the effectiveness of drugs that target the hepatitis virus.

Avoid the following:

Saturated fats found in butter, sour cream, and other high-fat dairy foods, fatty cuts of meat, and fried foods
    Sugary treats like cookies, cake, soda, and packaged baked goods
    Foods heavily laced with salt
    Alcohol

Many experts recommend that hepatitis patients also avoid raw or undercooked shellfish, which can harbor viruses and bacteria. You may consider limiting your consumption of processed foods as well, since they can contain chemical additives and high levels of salt.

Other Precautions

Because your liver is battling the hepatitis virus, take special precautions to protect against any disease that would increase the chances of liver damage. Wash all meats, fruits, and vegetables to remove any potentially harmful residues, and wash your hands thoroughly before and after handling food to prevent cross-contamination.

Supplements for Hepatitis

People with hepatitis should talk to their doctors about taking a multivitamin once a day, says Christine Gerbstadt, MD, RD, a doctor and a registered dietitian in Sarasota, Fla., as well as a spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association. B vitamins in particular can help spur healing.

"You really want to make sure your body has everything it needs," Dr. Gerbstadt says.

However, you also need to make sure that you don't take in too much of certain vitamins and minerals through the use of supplements, since some can cause liver damage. Be cautious of:

Iron
    Vitamin A
    Vitamin B3 (niacin)
    Vitamin C
    Vitamin D

Hepatitis patients looking for herbal remedies may consider milk thistle, available in capsules and other forms. Milk thistle may have some restorative properties, suggests Gans. Some studies have found that milk thistle can improve liver function in hepatitis and cirrhosis patients. However, you should always consult with your doctor before trying any supplement or herb, especially if you have hepatitis.

Thanks and by the way I'm still doing good with my tx.Start week 9 of 12 tomorrow..

~Country~
In the future, please include links with your article.
The only fault I find in the above is the one about vitamin D. It's true you don't want too much but many of us don't have enough and it's recommended.

You can eat a lot of food with hep C and liver disease. Think fresh non-processed food.
Eggs are great, salads, all kinds of veggies and fruit. I'm big on stir-frys. Cook up a bunch of rice and stir fry a lot of veggies, with just a small amount of chicken. Use the leftover rice to make stirfried rice. Again, a bunch of chopped up veggies, toss in the rice and stir in an egg.
Oatmeal is great with fresh fruit for breakfast. I eat omelets with lots of garlic and a salad on the side.
Instead of a processed snack, grab an apple or eat some carrots.
Smoothies are good. You can toss all kinds of fruit into that blender or juicer.
I love ginger root. It's good for nausea and use it in all of the above.

Good luck and bon appetite.
  I bought a called  "eat to beat diabetes", and I also bought the Mayo Clinics "The hepatitis c cookbook",  they both are great sources for things to eat with hepatitis c , and even though the first book says diabetes, the same rules apply for Hepatitis C,  and I agree with the hawk, most of us on running low on vitamin D, other then that good Info.
I dont like Eggs!! I have been eating Chicken every way you can imagine,fresh and frozen veggies and fruit and some Fish.I am sick of those,what else is there.Come on I know everyone out there is eating,but WHAT?
I do cheat..Who doesn't like a good T-Bone,Bake Potato and Salad!! then I'm up with heartburn..Thanks OH and TE for your info.

~Country
Hi, I start the 3 meds soon with lots of fat. Im worried i wont eat. When i had
lymphoma and chemo i was 89 lbs. I sure hope i can eat. I will eat that 28grams of fat for sure and water. That is my main concern. GB
Milk thistle may have some restorative properties, suggests Gans. Some studies have found that milk thistle can improve liver function in hepatitis and cirrhosis patients.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There have been many articles published that have thrown this belief out the window.  Of course, as luck would have it I still have a couple of bottles left so I will finish them. lol  I once heard if you have liver disease you are supposed to stay away from fried foods such as french fries and tacos, stuff that is deep fat fried.  I don't know if it's true, anyone else ever hear that?
      Newbie here,greetings to all the  dragons slayers and their  supporters.I concur with you on milk thistle,all studies I've read showed that milk thistle does nothing for the liver or liver maintenance on the other hand it does not damage the liver either.On the positive side  let's not rule out placebo effect.

My apologies for not providing links that make these claims.

Dannyboi7