Hepatitis C Community

Who Teaches The Teachers

http://www.cnn.com/2006/EDUCATION/09/20/students.blood.ap/index.html

In case the article can't be read, it's about a HS science teacher who allows 50 students to use the same lancet to extract blood with a finger stick.

Capped off by:  "This is minimal risk," said Yvonne Gibbons, director of the health department.

Hmmmm.
Hmmmm is right! What were they thinking???????
E
Somehow I don't thinking entered into the equation.  I wonder who hires a head for the Department of Health which would make such an assanine statement?
If you would like to call and voice your opinion to the Department of Health person who said it was no big deal you might try the Salina Health Department (City-County):

For information regarding public health-related services, call 785-826-6600
Good idea on voicing your opinions!!! Here is a link that will get you some department heads at the Centers for disease control and prevention.. How do you control or prevent, if you have IDIOTS like this teacher and the "director" of the health department conducting acts such as this? What are we teaching?

<a href="http://www.congress.org/congressorg/dbq/officials/agencies/?id=4366&dir=congressorg&command=depresult2&submit.x=11&submit.y=13">Contact the CDC</a>

I just find this absolutely ridiculous!! "minimal" risk? I bet the lawyers are lined up for this one! LOL
Where do the school systems come up with people like this. It must be a special search that involves a brain scan rectally. Hope everyone is doing well today. Dale
Bad enough the teacher is missing a brain, but how would you like to be the parent of a JUNIOR or SENIOR  that didn't see any danger in doing this.....come on, ist grade, maybe? But high school?

Thx, I sent a letter both to the general email inquiry address and to head of the department which deals with HIV.

Of course Hepatitis is not mentioned anywhere under any of the departments, but that should be of no surprise to most of us here.
Dale,  Good to see you post.  Been wondering how things were going for you.  How are ya?

I know there are some teachers here and I am absolutely positive what I say does NOT apply to you.  Hope you don't take offense.

After working in schools for awhile, I find myself saying over and over, These are the people teaching our kids?  No wonder the world is such a mess!  And Administration is a whole nother mess!  And to have the gov and society in general put them on such pedastals is revolting.  Thankfully, those teachers are greatly in the minority.  Most are really there for the kids and not the paycheck.  

miss
I personally know of a few teachers for which that sadly is not the case.  Several of them have in fact said that they "hate" kids.  When I asked them why then do they teach in a school, they responded "because of the benefits and we get the summers off".

Fortunately I have met teachers who do love their job and find enjoyment in teaching.  Unfortunately, it seems in the schoold disctrict where my children attend, they are becoming a minority and that a lot of that change in attitude comes about once they receive tenure.
Really feel bad agreeing with these negative statements, but I'm afraid that's often the way it is. I worked for the Provincial government consulting with teachers and schools re: behavior and special needs. Lack of interest and downright fear of our teens was pretty common. Teachers are asked to do a much more encompassing job when it comes to the students lives, but still, dont take the job if you cant or wont try to do it well. Bad teachers can cause damage. Sure hope no-one I know (from around here) gets ahold of this. I'm constantly in sh!t for expressing my opinion on this subject!
very good info as per usual...thanks1 keep us posted, enquiring minds you know...
Well, what do you expect from Kansas?  This is the state that for a number of years  outlawed the teaching of evolution.  I believe that law was recently rescinded, but surely Kansans suffer some deficits in their knowledge of science.