Hepatitis C Community

Will Harvoni cure someone with both Hep B and C?

7 years ago I was kidnapped and things I went through apparently exposed me to Hep B & C. I wouldn't have known but I got pneumonia shortly after my escape and when I was well enough to be taken off life support the Dr bluntly said you are Hep C and B positive. But never told me what to do about it. A year later I had a lot of bruising and a blood clot under my arm. They ran every test imaginable but there was no mention of anything except severe anemia so I thought it cleared on its own. I don't think that any longer. Luckily I don't drink but I have a lot of other medical issues that all seem to be linked with a compromised liver. But I don't know what kind of doctor I need to see and I can't find anything about being a candidate for Harvoni or anything if you are positive for both Hep C AND B. I'm 39 and if there's no cure I'd like to know now. Anyone?
You should see either a gastroenterologist (gut doctor) or a hepatologist (liver specialist)

Hep c is now curable for most people but it depends on your genotype if Harvoni is the correct medicine for you. Have you only had the hep c antibody test or the test for the hep c virus called HCV RNA by PCR to determine if you are currently infected with the virus? About 25% of people who get hep c can beat it on their own. They will test positive for antibodies but not for the hep c virus.

Even people who have HIV and hep c their hep c was cured with the new medicines.

As far as hep b you should ask I the hep b forum but I believe hep b is treatable but currently not curable.

Best of luck to you
I'm sorry to read about what happened to you. Ninety to ninety-five percent of patients who are exposed to hepatitis B after the age of five, will clear that virus on their own. Approximately 25-40% will clear hepatitis C on their own. Your primary care physician can run the antibody tests for both viruses and if positive can do a viral load test to find out if you have the virus or just the antibodies. If you do have the virus you should see a gastroenterologist, a hepatologist, or an infectious disease doctor. If you do have hep C you can certainly be treated with any of the new drugs. The hep B status makes no difference. There is a cure for hep C but not hep B. I wish you the best.
So sorry to hear about what happened to you. Regarding the Hep C, below is some information from our site, MedHelp.org, that might help you.

If you have not been diagnosed (even though you're positive for antibodies), read this article: http://www.medhelp.org/hepatitis-c/articles/Diagnosing-Hepatitis-C/2273

Once you're sure you've been diagnosed, give this article a read as well: http://www.medhelp.org/hepatitis-c/articles/Just-Diagnosed-with-Hepatitis-C-Heres-Whats-Next/2254

~The Editors