Hepatitis C Community

World Hepatitis Day (?) - today, May 19th

Today is supposedly "World Hepatitis Day", or so it has been proclaimed by the World Hepatitis Alliance (WHA), a supposedly non-governmental organization that claims to represent all hepatitis C infectees worldwide. I want to take this opportunity to state for the record that the WHA does not represent me nor does it speak for me, not the WHA and not any other authoritarian, totalitarian organization in the U.S. or elsewhere.

As a free agent, I have decided that today is NOT "World Hepatitis Day", I am not celebrating it as such, and I recommend that other infectees do likewise. For me every day is hepatitis day, and I don't believe that the world should get off so easily as paying attention, however scant, to hepatitis one day out of the year.

At the same time, I want to denounce the totalitarian tactics of the WHA and its sponsors the pharmaceutical companies (and probably the government, which supports itself with their money). The WHA pretends to represent all hep C infectees and related persons worldwide, so that there will be only one voice, one opinion, and one politics regarding HCV. This is a lie. There are a multiplicity of voices, opinions, and politics regarding HCV, and they should all be heard and given equal attention. If one group speaks for all, that means the silencing of other voices and of dissent. This is the time-worn strategy of government/industry in its war against the public. The first way to fight it is to speak for ourselves.

Enough said.

Mike

OH I think any publicity at all towards ending this disease is a good thing and honestly I don't care who they are as long as they get the cause and information that is CORECT out there to the general public and those walking around with the disease who have no idea or no thought towards it.

But then again, I love the pharmaceutical companies that - although for monetary gain and profit margins - are out there creating things like Telepravir and Bocepravir - who changed monotherapy with interferon to SOC with ribavirin weight based and pegylated interferon.

Until there is a cure for EVERYONE  I just will settle as best I can and keep praying for the day.

But that's just my opinion.
i disagree with you mike.
today is WHD it cant be every day, its today its design is to increase awareness and bring it in to the minds of people with or with out hep c, if it was every day people would be blase and bored of it very quickly.
Would you still feel the same had you been accepted into the Boce trial?

You always seem so negative.
Really Mike - life is good.........at least once in a while anyway.

Mike
Yes, I agree, it's like 8th March-womens Day!, One day out of 365, dedicated to something so important, ....
Does you back hurt from carrying that chip on your shoulder?
If every day was dedicated to every serious disease it would be rather absurd.
There are a lot of very important diseases - you know?
Mike
"Enough said. "

Now there's something we agree on.

http://www.worldhepatitisalliance.org/en/TheWHA.aspx

The World Hepatitis Alliance

The World Hepatitis Alliance is a non-governmental organisation that represents approximately 280 hepatitis B and C patient groups from around the world. As a coalition of advocacy groups, the World Hepatitis Alliance is a global voice for the 500 million people worldwide living with chronic viral hepatitis B or C.

Then at least people can educate themselves and decide for themselves about the WHA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Qb4IHr-lAk
I must disagree with you Mike.

I think it's great that so many people are doing something concrete to create awareness about hepatitis B & C.  This world wide campaign is big and they are besides others also trying to get people to get tested. I am thankful to all these volunteers doing this amazing work!

Way to go... Every 12th person has either hep b, c or both.... Thus the slogan  

Am I number 12?

} Until there is a cure for EVERYONE  I just will settle as best I can and
} keep praying for the day.

Praying and letting people you don't know and haven't voted for represent you isn't going to help, I don't think. Did you elect thw people running WHA to speak for you?

Mike
} if it was every day people would be blase and bored of it very quickly.

Whereas if it's one day a year, they can get all worked up for the day and then forget about it, huh? Like voting every four years and then not participating in any political organizations. How easy it is to get off the hook.

Mike