Hepatitis C Community

Worried about HIV/AIDS symptoms (oral thrush)

I have had bronchitis symptoms for roughly 4 weeks. I have been caughing up flem, no fever. I went to 2 doctors regarding the problem. They listened to my lungs and told me that it was very mild and not worry because it will go away on its own. One doctor didn't think it was acute bronhcitis, but rather a virus. He gave me albuterol to ease the caughing. I was doing lots of wheezing. Then I developed symptoms like strep throat and I went to the second doctor. I developed these symptoms after spending a day with a friend that had simmilar symptoms (white stuff all over her throat). I drank from the same bottle of gatarode as her. My school physician (2nd doctor) diagnsoed it as strep, but did not take a throat culture and perscribed Zythromax. I have alerady taken it for 5 days and the white stuff in my throat (specifically on the lower left and right portions of the throat - I gues these are the tonsils) have not gone away. I have no fever. My friend's doctor took her throat culture and she didn't have strep. So I am a bit concerned.
I have been with a few working girls, but always protected. Never incidence of broken condoms, so in that sense I realize that I'm not in the high risk group. But the white stuff on my throat had not gone away yet after the 5 days on Zithromax and I still have some flem coming from the lungs. My tongue also looks white. I'm just concerned, paranoid and am associating these symptoms with oral thrush. Please comment on what condition could be and if I need to be worrying? Thanks.
Please excuse my question but do you have Hepatitis?
Working girls, huh. At the very yeast, you should look into candida.
I would check an HIV/AIDS support forum. This here's for HCV folk. Please excuse me if you do have HCV, just wasn't sure by the sounds of your post. But as was mentioned above, candida (yeast) is the cause of oral thrush most...all?... of the time, so maybe you should check that out. Good luck finding your answers!
OH, and by the way, antibiotics (zithromax?) can cause/make yeast worse.
Sorry I am late.
Well, pre-diabetes is certainly nothing for you to worry about.
Fasting glucose between 100-126 is considered "impaired glucose tolerance", and more often then not pre-diabetes.
To confirm a diagnosis of diabetes, when numbers were within that range, they used to run the glucose tolerance test.
It's not often used anymore, because in order to get an accurate reading, patients need to be free of any acute illness. A number of medications interfere with results, diuretics, niacin, contraceptives, and more. There are no standards related to aging, and results have not been as reliable.
Charting the fasting glucose is the way to go now.
A reading of over 126 of course wouldn't require a challenge test anyhow, the diagnosis of diabetes would be obvious.
No endocrinologist worth his money, is watching a patients fasting glucose continue rising between 100-126, without sounding the alarm bells. This is the window of opportunity, often lasting a number of years,during which the ship can get around with diet and exersise.
HbA1c stands for Glycohemoglobin hemoglobin A1c, or Glycated Hemoglobin A1, and measures the glucose over the past 8-12 weeks.
It's usually not used for screening purposes, but rather by confirmed diabetics to monitor their progress, or the lack of it.
Hemolytic anemia, high dose aspirin therapy can give falsely low numbers.
So for those on Riba, the fasting glucose gives the most accurate reading.

As far as I know, metabolic syndrome must also include a diagnosis of pre-diabetes or diabetes, in order to be called metabolic syndrome. A few other things have been added to this cluster of disorders, high LDL, and abdominal obesity...can't remember the rest.

Looks to me more like you have a primary disorder of lipid metabolism.
This is what I suggest:
Follow the appropiate diet for 6 month, see if the triglycerides go down, and just maybe the HDL budges upward. If results are not encouraging, have a full cardiovascular screening, and do the fractional lipid screening, not every lab does them. Do Homocysteine and C-reactive protein, and assess your risk for heart attack and stroke.
In the meantime your liver had another 6 month to regenerate. Do the Fibroscan, and Fibrosure or Fibrospect, and if still stage 2, get on the statins.

Don't forget, that with SVR, and a healthier liver, total Cholesterol often rises, HDL goes down, and LDL up...an oxymoron all right. I don't remember Triglycerides being mentioned.
That was a most informative paper, long too, but I can't find it.
I see my cardiologist in early Nov. and I will find the hard copy or the link before, because he will eat this one up.

The brain can only utilize glucose, and will get what it needs before any other organ. With the recommended daily serving of fruit, your brain can not be deprived of fuel.
Why you feel the way you do on a low carbohydrate diet I don't know.
Since on a very low carbohydrate diet and exercise, I feel better all around. Alt 20, down from 26.
Before tx, Cholesterol close to 200, HDL 92, LDL 92, Triglycerides around 100.
Now HDL in the sixties, LDL 98.

Arteriosclerosis often comes with age, atherosclerosis should not, only in the Western World due to our atrocious diet.
My Carotid artery echo is clear, and I am your age. They can estimate the obstruction, and if you are 20% occluded in the Carotid, the small coronary arteries are probably occluded somewhat more.
I hope I answered all your questions.

I am taking a brake from the board, and will flag you down again....down the road.
Kindly leave me a note that you saw this post.

I truly wish you well,
Ina
Saw the post. Thanks. I'll try and get back to you later today or tomorrow.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I've pretty much investigated everything discussed over the years (tests, diets, etc) and have come to the conclusion I'm between a rock and a hard place. My lipids are pretty resistant to diet and only the most radical moves them enough, only problem is I tend not to stick to those diets. Therefore the possiblity of marrying MS Statin. BTW all the liverheads I've spoken to have no problems with Statins at any stage of Fibrosis and feel the warnings are highly overblown.  C-Reactive Protein has always been good and Homocysteine I believe as good last time as well, however many cardiologits, including my own, don't give them much value -- especially in light of my poor lipid panel, family history and cartorid doppler test.  

As to metabolic syndrome, it's one of those "do you have four out of the seven" and I have six or seven (high chol, high ldl, low hdl, high tri's, high bp)depending on whether I have pre-diabetes or not, which I'm still uncertain of after doing some research. As mentioned, I may buy one of those glucose monitors at the drug store and start sticking myself in the morning and after meals :)

Switching gears, I think I've gotten my rosacea as well as it gets without lasers. It took me the entire summer to calm down what I believe was atopic dermatitis (angry face syndrome) on top of everything else. No more itiching, or stinging, no matter what I put on my face.

I been continuing with mild non-soaps like Cetaphil with Clindamycin in morning and either metrogel or Sulfaced in evening. This past week I've been dropping the evening part some days and simply using Aloe Vera Gel which I also now use as my primary "moisturizer" with an application of Jojoba oil sometimes mid day. I may try getting off of everything for a while, just using Aloe Vera gel, Jojoba oil and maybe Sebanil cleaner to cut some of the oil.

Toward the future, my goal is to be able to keep my face in the condition it's in now and at the same time to be able to participate in outdoor sports, etc. Too "young" to baby myself like I've been doing all summer. (In fact, I may try swimming in a cholorinated pool next week and hopefully that won't set my skin back three monts LOL) Anyway...getting back to my old life, sports, sunshine etc, --  that's where laser (IPL) should help by getting rid of veins and cappilaries that cause flushing. I still will give things more time but may go the IPL or laser route this winter. Still haven't "tested" the sun since the last time I did two months ago was pretty bad. Maybe next Spring after IPL.

Hope this finds you well and your rosacea under control.

-- Jim

On a quick note.
I am heading in the right direction with the Rosacea.
Made a paste out of the licorice root powder, and applied all over the face...with very good results. I just might get the rosacea under control, but not much success with the SD.
At this point my cognitive issues are of more concern to me.

You once dismissed chelation, that's why I didn't bring it up again, but that would be my first choice, then statins.

If you are pre-diabetic, I'll eat crow...I mean it, real crow.
You can't have insulin resistance, and at the same time have
CONSISTENTLY a fasting glucose of approx 85.

When I unearth that "lipid paper", out of my one foot pile of Hepc related stuff, I give you a holler, unless you say you have it.
Actually I believe somebody gave a link from med help.

Don't go swimming yet...no no no...you have to be 36 weeks past the last flare up, to assure you have a chance at rosacea SVR :)

Ina
Glad your new regimen appears to be working. Thanks again for the suggestions.

-- Jim
You are <i>hardly</i> dense. With all the cr@p you've been through, you are allowed a forgetful moment and more.
How's your cut finger coming along? I had such a fright when you posted about it. Gave me the shudders. I had my finger get caught in a end mill (metal working) at work and thought my digit was a goner but it was only a flesh wound. I almost sh!t myself. That was 29 years ago and only have a small scar on my knuckle.
See you for now, come on back anytime. I like you.
Hey Ya'll....
Sunspot...
yea I agree.. it is quite down here... & Quaint Too!!!
;)

NY...
Holy cow.... when & what did you do to your finger...??? I must have missed that post but from what SunSpot discribed... it DOESN'T sound good... Shish... Hope this finds you are holding up okay... I agree with Dana... you have been thru a LOT!!! Hang In There!
:)
hay, sunny -- got them new choppers yet?  I am waiting for 2 crowns to be made.  Dental work it the pitts, isn't it?

tator - guess you missed ny's thread -- had an accident at work and blood was squirting everywhere and all she could do is yll "don't touch my blood."  It was scary but it cracked me up!

quiet weekend here is W Texas.  Coledest day yet - in the 60's.  I am loving it