Hepatitis C Community

a new idea

Geez posted in wrong forum now I'm where I'm suppose to be lol this brain fog gets to me ok.my daughter had an idea with the gagging the pills give me she said to open capsule over a spoonful of pudding and try that,has anyone tried that or would that even be allowed? Sorry to bug you guys again p.s I am also asking the doc tomorrow
The answer to your question is NO, you cannot open the Ribavirin, incivek, or victrelis.

Ribavirin Capsules Dosage and Administration

Under no circumstances should Ribavirin Capsules be opened, crushed, or broken. Ribavirin Capsules should be taken with food [see Clinical Pharmacology (12.3)]. Ribavirin Capsules should not be used in patients with creatinine clearance <50 mL/min.

http://www.drugs.com/pro/ribavirin-capsules.html  
It's time to try and learn how to swallow pills. I don't have any expert tips so  I would hold out for other suggestions as well as talk to your doctor.

It seems like it would take conditioning and developing your automatic swallowing reflex. That, and being totally relaxed. Maybe you could start out small with Tic-Tacs or something harmless.

Here are some videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xBU-Z_sqZ8
http://www.ehow.com/video_6929419_children-swallow-pills.html

I imagine this being quite a chore for someone not used to it. And let's face it while on treatment our lives are basically centered around taking our pills.

♥You can do it♫
"It's time to try and learn how to swallow pills."
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, swallowing is an acquired and learned skill that takes some practice.  :)
How about putting a pill into a spoonful of applesauce and swallowing that?  Works on little kids...  Or, once you have pill (and fluid) in mouth drop your chin toward your chest - this will send the pill to the back of your mouth making it that much easier to swallow.  Good luck.
Ya kind of figured those pills should not be opened thanks but I'm just having such a gagging reflex with them horrible but just the night doses. Will try swallowing them hole with the pudding.
I often have trouble with pills and can swallow only one at a time. Water is too thin and the pills can get stuck in the back of my throat with water (not always, but often). I have found that taking them with thicker beverages or creamier beverages makes them slide down much eaiser. I often take them with Kefir, coffee with cream, smoothies, eggnog, etc. Somehow they are more camoflagued in the thicker and tastier drinks.