A
A
A
Close
Hepatitis C Community
13.4k Members
107513 tn?1232290064

'cure' vs. 'remission'

As we all know, this is the "million" dollar question. Well, luckily for me, this was brought to some resolve yesterday while visiting with Dr Schiff. He is regarded as one of the most well respected Dr's in the world with regards to HCV, so his opinion carries a great deal of weight.
Are we "cured", or is the virus in "remission"? His explanation, <strong>CURED</strong>. He is even going as far as composing a letter on my behalf, in regards to this exact explanation. He told me that it will state that I am in fact "cured", by medical defintion, and that HCV should not be a factor in reagrds to my future health. That yes in fact I did have HCV, but was successfully treated and "cured"..He stated that I can use this for insurance purposes, as well as jobs, and medical histories. As many of you know, I was turned down from a federal job because of HCV, and this letter would have rectified this. I <strong>highly</strong> recommend all that obtain SVR to ask their treating Dr's to compose similar letters for future reference. We all fall victim to a stigma, and the uneducated and misguided assumptions of "society".. A letter such as this can help in many ways, especially when attempting to obtain insurance.
I was told that a 6 month post tx undetectable PCR basically "seals the deal", and that by obtaining this great feat, one should consider themselves <strong>CURED</strong>..
I am very sure that many others will like to chime in on this, so as Jim suggested I opened a new thread.

41 Responses
116701 tn?1210262764
For three weeks I have worried with this question because of other threads and conversation. I know of Dr. Schiff by reputation and him putting a solid period on the sentence carries a great deal of weight in my opinion. Last thing I need is stess and my friend you removed a great deal of it with this note. Thank you, Dale
Thanks for the information.  When I finally attain UND and eventually SVR, I'll be sure to keep this posting handy for Dr. Lake so that hopefully he too will provide such a letter for me.  Upon hearing incidents others have had to go through with jobs, insurance, etc., I was concerned about how this disease would change my life from here on out.
96938 tn?1189803458
At what location do you see Schiff?  I have an appt with doc Jeffers next week and wondering if they are all in the same location/clinic/offices.
107513 tn?1232290064
I see him at the the University of MIami medical center in front of Jackson Hospital. Right next to sylvester Cancer center. His office is actually across the street I believe, in Jackson Medical Towers, however..
I believe that Jeffors is with the VA, so you might be going down the street to the VA hospital?
I was advised by my doctor once I was svr 6 months post tx not to even mention it again, Good advice? Who knows, just thought I would share it.
Snook: We all fall victim to a stigma, and the uneducated and misguided assumptions of "society"
--------------------------------
Thanks for re-posting. While some of these issues are controversial -- in and out of the medical community -- I think many of us appreciate hearing what one of the leaders's of Hep C research and  treatment -- Dr. Schiff-- has to say. There indeed is a stigma to this disease and sometimes I think we in the Hep C community are inadvertently guilty of fostering it ourself.

And not to start a ruckus :) I'd like to quote a little from Snook's previous post on his visit with Schiff on two topics "dear" to this discussion group. Again, they are controversial but I'm posting them for what they are, Dr. Schiff's opinions. I will add two hepatologists (in Schiff's league) that I consulted with came to the same conclusions on all the subjects mentioned.
And regarding the alcohol issue, I was a stage 3 prior to tx and am close to 60 years old.

The only fault I have with Schiff -- or my doctors -- and it's not really a "pick" but an observation -- is that they tend to see their job finished with SVR. I believe Schiff bid Snook a nice adios as did one of my docs. It's understandable, since we live in such a specialized medical society but how then will data accruately be accumulated on post treatment sides, etc. Certainly not by the drug companies.

Snook, I truly hope this finds you well now and in the future. You're a very young man and have so much life in front of you. Thanks again for sharing.

-- Jim
Have an Answer?
Top Hepatitis Answerers
317787 tn?1473362051
DC
683231 tn?1467326617
Auburn, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Answer a few simple questions about your Hep C treatment journey.

Those who qualify may receive up to $100 for their time.
Explore More In Our Hep C Learning Center
image description
Learn about this treatable virus.
image description
Getting tested for this viral infection.
image description
3 key steps to getting on treatment.
image description
4 steps to getting on therapy.
image description
What you need to know about Hep C drugs.
image description
How the drugs might affect you.
image description
These tips may up your chances of a cure.
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.