Aa
A
A
A
Close
Hepatitis C Community
13.4k Members

depression and mood swings

Starting week four I had my first killer headache after my shot that lasted over 24 hours.  I am also experiencing the mood swings.  My doctor warned me depression could be one the the more severe side effects with people needing to be withdrawn for that reason alone.  Does anyone have experience with medication to help with this.  I am reluctant to take anything other than my vitamins because of my liver.  I feel guilty about the trazadone for sleep occasionally but want feedback.  I read about Lexapro on here.  My appt. is tomorrow and I want to formulate questions for him regarding this issue.  I live alone and when I am not feeling well enough to be active I feel almost despondent....a new feeling for me and scary.  Thanks for your patience with this "newbie".
23 Responses
I experience the "normal reaction" to feeling crappy and achy on a daily basis. It will be depressing. Chronic malaise can be. Is it clinical depression? Many drs don't think so but will give meds if you ask. The inserts list depression as a side for about 1/3 of the patients, that means 2/3 don't get severe depression. Around wk 8 or so, I experienced a sort of a "blackhole" of emotionless state. I felt nothing, not anger, happiness, worry, etc. It was scary. At three wks of this, I considered getting ADs, but the state lifted soon after and I settled into a regular state of apathy which allowed me to still be functional.
You have to decide what your level of comfort is and do what is needed to stay there.
GL
85135 tn?1227293372
Many Dr
It's good you're looking at this issue early. I'm surprised it affected you so fast(the tx). But I felt depressed during much of my 48 week tx and did not take AD's for personal reasons. It can take time to find the one that will help you so starting now can be a good idea. I know that many are not affected by this side effect but it is a dangerous one and I hope you address it with your doc. It can be dealt with without impacting treatment. Much luck to you, Frank
My doctor started me on Paxill before treatment.  Personally I have kind of dropped off of it because I feel it makes me MORE groggy and withdrawn than helping.

But then I am disgusted with feeling so tired and down and in pain BUT I'm not depressed about it at all.  It's a nuisance but expected and I try to look at it that way.

I hope you find the answers that you need.

when I was new I posted questions so fast and furiously it was beyond words.  You've come to the right place. Nobody ever seems to mind and they are just SO helpful!
Bitchovirin pills

That is the most appropriate thing I've ever heard in my life.

I keep saying WHY did I just snap like that stop it stop it and I just CANNOT.

Yup that's what they are alright.  Bitchovirin's.
Thank you for that advice.  I also agree not to make nurturing gender specifac.  My BF has been fabulous even when I bite his head off.....I will talk about the depression with my doc on Monday.  I will also have my 4 week blood test so cross your fingers for me....
Have an Answer?
Top Hepatitis Answerers
317787 tn?1473362051
DC
683231 tn?1467326617
Auburn, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Answer a few simple questions about your Hep C treatment journey.

Those who qualify may receive up to $100 for their time.
Explore More In Our Hep C Learning Center
image description
Learn about this treatable virus.
image description
Getting tested for this viral infection.
image description
3 key steps to getting on treatment.
image description
4 steps to getting on therapy.
image description
What you need to know about Hep C drugs.
image description
How the drugs might affect you.
image description
These tips may up your chances of a cure.
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.