Hepatitis C Community

diabetes and hep c

I just wanted to continue to post and diatbetes and hep c into sunday. I have read here more then once of someone who had diabetes treated for hep c and then there diabetes cleared. sounds to good to be true although I hope it is.

Does anyone have any links to share about studies in regards to diabetes and hep c. I asked by by diabetes docotor and my hep c doctor about a link between the two diseases and both said there wasn't one. Since I am not over weight and there is no diabetes in my family I am inclined to think there is a link.

Also have read here more then once about those of us who crave sugar while on tx, a side effect I have been going through and giving into recently, not good for my diabetes.

love to hear others on this subject
Here is one paper on it I had handy. I am sure there are many more others might have.
http://www.natap.org/2002/easl/day5.htm
thanks.
So if blood sugar abnormalities and/or Diabetes is more prevalent amongst heppers does anyone here follow a particular diet regimen? Maybe one that pays strict attention to the hypoglycemic index of foods. My brother who I said in an earlier thread is a type 2 Diabetic follows a strict regimen. He takes lots of meds and checks his blood sugar about 6 times a day. He keeps a notepad with him at all times and records everything. Hopefully after his weight gets back into a "normal range" (his about 75-100 lbs. overweight) he hopes to be eventually be med free and just control it with his diet.

He is the one who said to me that maybe I should get my sugar checked. He said what I am describing tired after eating is a symptom and we have a family history. I have had my sugar checked in the past and it came back fine. I know one of the functions the liver performs is metabolizing sugars. Since HCV attacks the livr it only make sense that blood sugar could be an issue with some of us.

I guess my main question is does anyone follow a particular diet?
Dog,

One thing I have found is that doctors do not seem to like to  reconize links easily with Hep C and other problems.

Around the time I found out I had HCV I had to be rushed to the hospital and have my gall bladder removed(2002). I had a pretty bad attack where I felt like the movie "Aliens" and an alien was going to burst out of my abdomen. It was really painfull and I had no idea what was happening to me. Anyway I have asked several doctors if there is any relationship between gallbladder and hep C. I was told no by every doctor. Yet when I talk to many heppers they also have had their gall bladders removed. Obviously there is no scientific link in that but it sure does seem like a heck of a coincidence that so many of us have had it removed.
See http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/530759

Diabetes Mellitus in Chronic Hepatitis B and C: Prevalence and Potential Association With the Extent of Liver Fibrosis
Posted 05/11/2006

Mike
Your best bet if you have hep and diabetes is to control it as much as you can with diet and exercise. The drugs they use to control blood sugar are really hard on your liver. The less you use the better.

Ron