Hepatitis C Community

did it

did first shot sat night went very well, is that to say rest of tx will be easy?
last winter, many here mentioned the varied skin problems that plagued them and the remedies that worked for their specific condition.
I already know that U-lactin or any lotion with lactic acid and urea works best for moisturizing dry, scaly skin. I don't have any generalized rashes, only the spot in my back where the bra strap clasps, and use cortisone for that one,
The one thing that might end this lengthy tx is the slits and splits in my hands and lips. the hands become painful, especially in the corner where the nail meets the skin. I've always had dry skin, but thyroid checked fine everytime, even on Tx.
Since moving to the states with a winter. The fingers get splits that sometimes bleed and , if in the thumb, keep me from wiritng. I am seriously considering stopping the meds, because the condition got somewhat worse on them. Then I remembered there was a post last year where many shared what worked for them.
I figured that many will go through a winter for the first time while on meds this coming season, so this might benefit them and me.
The small slits in the hands might be easier to heal than the splits by the finger nails and those hurt the most, so anyone with these open, sometimes bleeding splits, what worked for you, if any?
TY all.
You asked a good question and I know it must be painful when you are trying to use your hands. I haven't had the splits in my hands but having terrible problems with bottom of my feet. They are peeling in layers and yes,,,,the splits are painful when walking. I have tried so many different lotions and creams and seems that nothing is helping much.  Hope you get some relief quick and can finish your tx soon!!
Strange as it seems, with psoriasis, when you have splits in your skin or fingernails, they recommend closing them with superglue. I have done it and damn, it works. The pain of the splits opening is gone, they have time to heal, and the superglue disappears within a week.
Hey guys and gals, I am still slowly working on my webpage of the folks here and there who have/had Hep C.  My URL is:
www.geocities.com/auggieaz   And I apologize as it seems I printed up a duplicate of the board so it looks extra long.  If I get some new info to add I will try to remedy that.  There is a place on there that says Contact Webmaster (thats me) and you can send me your info if you would like to be added.  
It's great to see some oldies popping in now and then, I cant keep up with the newbies, but feel free to check it out and see all the success stories etc.  I have been off tx for 3 1/2 months and am feeling pretty good.  Lingering brain fog, but knock on wood, that seems better too.
That's all from my corner of the planet.
OHC/Auggie
for hand splits:   there's a new form of liquid band-aid called "skin crack gel" which is supposedly tailor-made for the condition you describe.   it's different than the original formula, and just hit pharmacy shelves a couple of months ago.   i bought some but haven't opened it yet....am waiting till the weather gets a little cooler, because i know i'll be getting splits then.   i got some finger splits in the beginning of treatment, but was able to heal them by religiously applying lac-hydrin cream every day.   at this point i'm coming very close to the split point, but they stop just short of opening up and simply remain very dry and tender.   i did run out of the rx lac-hydrin and bought otc lubriderm "advanced formula" which is supposed to be super-moisturizing for extra-dry skin.   it's not nearly as effective as the lac-hydrin and doesn't seem to be as "heavy" nor does it appear to soak deep into the layers to impart as much moisture -- its main virtue is that it's less greasy, but i'd rather have the extreme moisture and elasticity provided by the lac-hydrin.    i'd rather stick with otc though -- did you say eucerin was your fave a while back?   if so, which formula? (i looked at target pharmacy the other day and they had several).    whqat have been you favorite otc brands and formulations for severely dry skin (i'm not worried about greasiness, btw, if increased effectiveness comes along with the package).

for lips:   i don't use chapstick and stuff like that, it's not "heavy" enough.... keeping a thick layer of regular vaseline on the lips at all times has been necessary for me, along with avoiding flexing the mouth too much -- i smile very subtly with minimal movement and am careful to restrict movement as necessary when eating, yawning, talking, etc.   if i keep these motions in check and remain lubricated, i can avoid most splits there.  these precautions are probably not needed for most people, but i'm having a lot of mucous membrane swelling (particularly in the mouth area) from the interferon.....a side effect that i haven't seen discussed here so i sense it's somewhat rare.   the dryness is widely reported, but significant swelling is not as common.   anyway, hope this helps, and if you have some lotion recommendations, please let me know --

stan
THANK you so much for that tip, I remember the lachydrin post, weren't you worried that it was too old? I am glad it worked!
The eucerin, was a formulary the dermatologist ordered for the pharmacist to concoct. It had glycerin, eucerin, salt crystals and lactic acid. then another derm in the west coast prescribed urea crystals instead of the sal, the only thing that kept me from snowing flakes until u-lactin and lac hydrin. The forementioned creams were heavy and hard to apply, but stayed on longer.
If the eucerin in the market is pure enough, maybe we can make our own brew.
  I am going to try that gel.... not looking forward to the winter....thanks again