Hepatitis C Community

disease transmission, coinfections and sexual habits

Just a quick ponder... I just got back from the Dr., with the 3rd UTI in 6 weeks.......I have never had this before.  He questioned me about sexual positions, frequency, and hygiene... of course I said DOC, look at me, sex is not an option...

but it did get me thinking... I know in HIV, women are more susceptible to disease transmission because the virus is "deposited" with bodily fluids, and contact is longer...

Is there a higher rate of HCV transmission to women than to men?

Does douching help?  Positions?  I know we are looking at a 2-3% transmission rate, but thats 2 or 3 people out of every hundred...

Inquiring minds want to know...
and another thing, fat people are harder to treat, are they easier to infect?  There have been endless threads about fatty liver, but do fat cells sequester disease?  Why are fat people harder to treat.......jeez.. my brain is hurting..
I read in a website, and was told by a nurse, to make sure the guy's tool was clean before sex.  For some reason men think that IT can get clean within as if we were a sort of carwash.  
Seriously, position (where friction at the opening of the urethra is predominant), and not enough hygiene by the male (assuming the woman is already taking care of herself) can increase the risk of UTIs.  They recommend urination right after intercourse, drinking enough water, cranberry juice, vit c (1000mg), bladder calm and prophylacitc antibiotics to control the frequency of infection.
I ended up having a cystoscopy to check for anatomical problems. Nothing found. I think tx had a lot to do with how many of them I got.
a urogynecologist might be a good person to consult.

As for transmission, I read somewhere that women were more at risk from men than viceversa. given that semen can remain up to three days inside the canal, you can see how that would be true.
Interesting questions. Now that brain of yours...didn't you invite Brian Fog over today? That should do the trick.
As a man i wouldn't know if douching helps, But i read that filling up the bath tub first with water can help, as the going back and forth keeps the clean water flowing in and out. Might help you with the UTI as the clean water could keep you from getting infected. Just not to much water in the tub or you might flood your floor. Of course be careful what position you use. You don't want to much water in your lungs. Im not sure but i think if you google UTI infections with HCV is where i found it. I'll look and if i find the link i'll post it. My wife doesn't have HCV but gets those UTI so i know the pain you must go through........ Wishing you the best Fish..... Good luck
I didn't have any UTI infections during treatment, but I did get frequent swimmers ear infections, or really kept one that got better and then worse again during the last 4-5 months of treatment.  I never could figure how to keep my ears dry washing hair down to my waist. I never had one before....I just think we are so much more susceptible to bacterial/fungal type infections because our WBC are so low.  I imagine they bounce up and down, and we are getting CBC's once a month.  Wonder what the doctors don't see?  The UTI may be your own particular Achilles heel. Maybe your innards rearranged themselves so you are more susceptible?  Just a thought.
Sounds pretty much like what he was implying... Doc, you have no idea how much water and cranberry juice I drink...I am a clean person... this has never been an issue before....

Geez, a carwash??!! All this talk is REALLY making my libido go down. LOL
OK, bounce up and down, I get it.........

can man... bubble baths were on the list... to soap or not to soap, that is the question...
you have a libido??? are you on TX??  how far along??  I had one once I think, but I think brian fog that Bas+ard stole it....
Of course I don't have a libido on tx, I was reimising about what used to be....Yeah, that darn Brian Fog stole mine too!
You know chev, you are probably right... I mean how many times do we do it when we really don't feel like it, and then wow, that was fun, why don't we do it more often???  I will try and force myself before I suffer magental atrophy..

rocker, Dr. said soaps and bubble baths are bad?  Any natural organic cleansers that are as effective as soap, but that would increase susceptibility... I guess vinegar is pretty natural..
Hey, good sex induces more good sex!  You gotta keep that part of your brain tuned in!;o)
It didn't say anything about soap, but that could cause more of a problem.

Cuteus, a car wash, oh the pain just thinking about walking through them twirling brushes. Of course the blower at the end might........ Na them brushes scare me
OK, I think all the worlds problems revolve around one thing:  smegma.  I am not gonna tell you what it is, look it up, but I think it has laid me low... and I'm too damm tired to get up......thank god we can just lay...
CARWASH!!!!!!!
I cant get past that one,.............I have a very vivid imagination!!! LOL
Finally going to sleep tonight
but saw this topic.
I started tx in march, had multiple uti
kidney stones were found which has an affect
on urine & bacteria, took two times to 'zap'
them...yes it does hurt but not that bad
and now I get to suffer with this hep c sx
& kidney infections and a two day pee in jugs!
so embarrassing, but water helps....
baths I was told can have germs in the tub...
that can find their germy way where they are not suppose
to be.
I don't know if this helps, but I had no symptons of kidney
stones, just multiple uti
how do they test for stones?

CDM: no brushes, just friendly bands softly ondulating...
k, too much imagery!
Well we drink so much water on TX, we should just make it a habbit to kegel everytime our hands touch water!

**Why should men do kegel exercises regularly?

kegel exercises increase the bloodflow to the genital area, and so support sexual arousal mechanisms.

kegel exercises strengthen and tone the muscles that are involved in ejaculation, and so men who Kegel can, if they do some additional work with themselves, gain greater control over the timing of their ejaculations.

kegel exercises prevent incontinence and other problems that are often associated with aging.

**Why should women do kegel exercises regularly?

kegel exercises strengthen and tone the muscles of the vaginal canal, and so women who Kegel can, if vaginal stimulation is their choice, and if they do some additional work on themselves, improve their capacity to orgasm by means of vaginal play, in terms of both the intensity and the frequency of their orgasming.

kegel exercises are essential to the treatment of sexual difficulties such as vaginismus and dyspareunia (pain on vaginal intercourse).

kegel exercises prevent incontinence, prolapses, and many other problems of the pelvic floor that are often associated with aging.

kegel exercises strengthen and tone the musculature of the pelvic area in a way that can make vaginal delivery during childbirth easier.

**How do I find my PC muscles?

go to the bathroom and sit on the toilet (men, it is also a good idea to sit for this).

in the middle of your stream of urine, stop and start the stream several times. The muscles you use to do this are your PC muscles. At first, you may find that you are also squeezing your anal muscles; as you become experienced with kegel exercises, try to separate out the muscle groups that you are able to exercise by squeezing.

**How do I do regular kegel exercises?

now that you have located your PC muscles, you can exercise them while your bladder is completely empty.

first, try squeezing your PC muscles as hard as you can for a count of three seconds. Then let them relax. To begin with, see how many times you can do this before the muscles feel tired.

now figure out a suitable exercise routine just as you would if you were trying to tone and strengthen a different muscle group by going to the gym every other day. For example, suppose you start by being able to do only five strong squeezes; try doing three sets of five once or twice a day for a week, and then try increasing this to three sets of eight strong squeezes.

if you work up to three sets of thirty or more strong squeezes, you are probably healthy enough for most purposes, and need only to maintain this level of fitness by doing these three sets four times a week (instead of once or twice a day).

it is also recommend that you experiment by varying the type and timing of the PC squeezing you do as you train these muscles: slow clenches, many quick flutters, and so on. This will make you more familiar with these muscles
chev said.........Come on you can do it, fish. It is medicinal - you'll benefit.....................

Maybe can do can do it fish, But medical or not im not going through no car wash. Why should only one benefit? 'GEEZ'
yeah... but picture the can man, I know he has at least one chest ring, and a down under ring... getting caught in the long, ratty undulating... AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH,,, did you hear that???
can do kegel man,   its a good handle...
fishdoc no do excercise.  fishdoc sick.  fishdoc likes laying around like a dead fish....
says......kegel exercises strengthen and tone the muscles that are involved in ejaculation, and so men who Kegel can, if they do some additional work with themselves, gain greater control over the timing of their ejaculations.

Do you mean like thinking of football during it? Or counting to ten.... Help me here tater i never Kegal before, Thats nothing like yodelling is it?
Well I wouldn't be thinking about the car wash that's for sure!

I would be thinking about the pressure points to prolong it first!
Besides they say if ya do it at work & ya get bored ya can do it with nobody noticing

& ENCOURAGE It In a Board Meeting, & at lectures