Hepatitis C Community

enlarged liver question

dear community,

when a liver is a bit enlarged,does that mean one have cirrhosis?
i became my report from my hcc screening and it was negative.and all lab results are in the norm.
but they wrote "liver homogenous, 2 fingers under the costal arch palpable,no ascites no enlarged spleen,and i wonder if this mean i have cirrhosis.

i apreciate some answers
regards marc
I don't believe that an enlarged liver is necessarily cirrhotic. When the liver is inflamed it swells. As a liver becomes scarred (cirrhotic) it shrinks becomes hard.

Mike
I should not have suggested that cirrhosis can't exist in an enlarged liver. I don't it is typically seen in HCV caused cirrhosis but it is possible for cirrhosis to be associated with a normal, enlarged or small liver. My personal experience with cirrhosis has been that the liver is small and hard but that's not always the case.

Mike
An enlarged liver may occur as a result of one or more of these causes.

Inflammation or fatty liver may cause an enlarged liver and may result from:

An infection such as a from a virus or abscess
    Certain medications
    Toxins
    Certain types of hepatitis, including alcoholic hepatitis
    Autoimmune disease
    Metabolic syndrome
    Genetic disorders that cause fat, protein, or other substances to build up

Abnormal growths may cause an enlarged liver. This may result from:

Cysts
    Tumors that start or spread to the liver

A problem with blood flow can cause the liver to enlarge. This may be due to a variety of conditions such as:

Congestive heart failure, a condition where the heart fails to pump blood well
    Hepatic vein thrombosis, a blockage of veins in the liver
    Veno-occlusive disease, a blockage of small veins in the liver
the also wrote my liversynthesis is at child scora a with 5 points.

do i have still the chance that my liver can regenerate if i rerach svr and iam in an early stage of cirrhosis?
The typical pattern is for the liver to swell somewhat during the early stages of inflammation, but then as it progresses the liver shrinks and hardens. Another clue is the texture. A cirrhotic liver is heterogenous, not homogenous as your report indicates. It really takes a biopsy to be sure whether one has cirrhosis, but there is nothing in your report that sounds like cirrhosis.
I think if your liver is still homogenous in texture that you have a good chance it will regenerate itself. My understanding is that it always tries to regenerate, but it can't do it as effectively when the scarring (nodularity and heterogenous texture) is more extensive as the little pockets of regenerated tissue can't connect well to each other and blood flow remains impaired. I hope I will be corrected if any of that is wrong, but I think that is how it works (simplified, of course).