Hepatitis C Community

eot schedule

just to clarify a question recently posted;do most people do one week extra of riba after their last interferon shot. my doc has not requested this and has me finishing both on 2/25. my first injection was 9/17 with my first riba the next day. i am on 800 riba and geno 2b so i had expected 24 weeks. week one should have ended 9/24. i worry that i am short one week of riba. thanks, babs
my first injection was 9/17 with my first riba the next day.

Most folks start the riba the same day as the shot and are told to do all 48 weeks (or 24 in your case) of the meds......that means you would take them for six days afterward.

I've never heard of a doctor starting the riba after ever before.
I took my riba for a week following the last shot.
Babs, if you start treatment with an interferon injection followed by seven days of ribavirin; then repeat the pattern and complete with a final dose of interferon, there’s no question you’re only receiving 23 weeks of ribavirin. The question is whether it’s needed.

Some doctor’s don’t bother with that final week of riba while some insist on it. I believe the half life for multiple dose ribavirin is about twelve days:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ribavirin

so I guess it’s questionable whether that final week of dosing is actually needed. You’ve been struggling with significant skin issues too, so I imagine your doctor is taking that into account as well. Have you specifically asked your doctor about this and shared your concern with him/her?

Bill