Hepatitis C Community

exercise and scheduling invicek

hello, I have just started my treatment, I was formerly on rib & peg 2 years ago, it didn't work so now I have added incivek to hopefully take care of it this time.  I have a question for anyone, I took my peg injection friday night before I went to bed, felt ok when I got up saturday, enough to put in a workout (aerobics and weights), but after my shower, lunch , I would say beginning in the late afternoon I got the dreaded flu like symptoms, or the "bones on fire" feeling.  It was horrible!!!  I couldn't believe how painful it was so do you think exercise had a hand in it?  I really want to keep up some sort of workout....not sure.  I know I will have to juggle it around on how I feel.  Other question, are we mandated to keep up the incivek schedule on a 24 hour basis OR is it daily, since sometimes I tend to sleep in a little bit more on the weekends, therefore the 5:30am may be moved to 7:30am on a saturday or sunday....I don't like taking incivek late since we have the food thing going but sometimes I want to sleep more.  Any suggestions or comments I would appreciate.  Hate the 30 grams of fat business....no appetite makes it EVEN harder to stomache any thing down.
Sorry but its most important to take the Inc on time, changing times for the weekend is not a good ideal.
I was running everyday before I started treatment. i was in great shape. I had to stop after 30 days into it. For the first time since I can remember i stopped working out, because of anemia,soreness etc etc. I just finished treatment last night and pushed myself to run 4 blocks today. In a month Ill be running 4 miles and getting my muscle back, but Im undetactable.
Dont be hard on yourself if you cant do it. Your curing your body and you need to let it do its thing.
The biggest pointer... DRINK WATER and lots of it.
Good Luck  
How to Take INCIVEK
Take INCIVEK exactly how your healthcare provider tells you. Your healthcare provider will tell you how much INCIVEK to take and when to take it.

•Take 2 INCIVEK pills (a dose) 3 times a day
•Eat a meal or snack that contains about 20 grams of fat, within 30 minutes before you take each dose of INCIVEK
•Each dose should be taken 7 to 9 hours apart. Pick the same time each day to make it easier to remember
•INCIVEK must be taken with peginterferon alfa and ribavirin
Always take INCIVEK with food
If you take INCIVEK on an empty stomach, you may not get enough medicine in your blood to clear the virus. That's why it's important to eat a meal or snack that contains fat, within 30 minutes of taking each dose of INCIVEK.
I think any workout you feel up to is great. Sometimes I feel like I had a workout walking across the room. You may notice more and more fatigue heading your way so I say go for it if you feel up to it, do it.
You need to stay on schedule with your incivek, read over your instructions again to be safe. It is 20gms of fat and it suc**
Good Luck
Gene
Welcome to the forum.

As hrsepwrguy and can-do-man pointed out, the timing of the Incivek is critical. (Every 7-9 hours at the same times each day).  Incivek has a short half life and if you take the pills too far apart, it give the virons a chance to mutate into resistant strains. If that happens, you may not have a successful treatment outcome.

Set your alarms and have a hand held portable timer or watch timer that you can set to go off every 8 hours. I picked 6am, 2pm, and 10pm for the Incivek pill times. I set my alarm for 5:30 am and fixed some high fat food and then took the 6 am pills. Then I went back to bed and slept a bit more. At 1:30pm  I fixed some high fat food and ate and then took the pills at 2pm. At 9:30 pm I fixed some high fat food and ate and then took the pills at 10pm.

The food has to contain at least 20 grams of fat and it has to be eaten within 30 minutes before taking the Incivek pills. This is very important because the fat increases the absorption of the Incivek and increases the efficacy of the Incivek.

Here is a thread with a list of high fat foods:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Hepatitis-C/Are-these-fats-okay/show/1694773

Best of luck.

Horse Power Guy is right! It is critical you follow the dosing instructions, which is your scheduled time +- 1 hour. I always challenged myself to take the Incivek exactly at my scheduled time.

The virus easily becomes resistant to Incivek so if you slip your dosage a few hours you could be jeopardizing your chance of success. Expect to live your life by the clock for the next 12 weeks.

My flu-like symptoms typically begin 6-8 hours after my injection and lasted for 2 days. You might benefit from slipping your workout to somewhere between 4 & 7 days after your injection.

In addition to the 20-30 grams of fat, always take Incivek with enough food to absorb it. Don't just take it with, say, 2 tablespoons of peanut butter because if the PB ends up in one corner of your stomach and the Incivek ends up in another corner of your stomach, the Incivek will pass through your system without any food surrounding it and your pooper will be burning for days (not to mention you would have wasted most of the dosage by having it pass right through your system)