Hepatitis C Community

fatigue

I am just about to take shot #3, and for the last few weeks have had the flu like symptoms.  The fatigue is making doing anything impossible.  I have not left the house.  I hav e trouble walking upstairs, heart pounding and heavy breathing.  Had a blood test and the MA told me that all was OK there.  Suggestions?
Happy Memorial Day,
I am on shot #20 or 30 something. Fatique is a problem. The first three shots were the worst for me. Out of breath is from your red blood count going down. Interferon make you anemic. If your blood work is ok, then you probably will adapt and get used to it.

As impossible as it sounds, you need to get up and move. Drink water, lots. I drink Propel by Gatoraid. Remember, even though you feel like you have the flu, you don't. Resting makes it worse. Take a shower. Get dressed. Take a walk. Move until you can no longer move. You have to work the meds through your system. Good luck, and hang in there. It will get better.
Hi, Nikki, I just took shot 13 on Friday.  The first week or 2, I had flu-like symptoms (chills/achey) day after shot. Other than that, I've only had it occasionally.  Supposedly, I've heard the symptoms ease up after the first month or so, but after reading some of the postings, I don't think that's the case w/everyone...  these guys are all experts, so I'm sure they will give you better advice, but I know my symptoms were worse if I didn't drink alot of water and stay hydrated...  I really haven't done anything different (no diet changes or anything, other than adding ALOT of water to my diet, more than the normal 80 oz.  I am a fitness instructor so I had to go up to about 130 to 150 ozs. per day.  I hope that your side fx ease up and you'll soon be feeling better.  It's easier said then done, but at least you are not alone and we are all in this together!
Also, I have three horses. I guess I love them. Not always sure when they step on my foot, or worse, cr*ap on it.
I agree w/you 100%!  I know alot of people can't exercise or move around on this treatment, but it helps me so much. I push myself to get to class.   I teach cardio kickbox, bootcamp and strengthening classes, and even though I might feel crappy before class, I feel like a new person afterwards - completely normal -- no fatigue, etc.  I also try to walk everyday at my full-time job, and I feel so much better afterwards.  I really feel bad that not everyone on tx has the ability or energy to do that.
I also work full time and walk daily at least a mile. Pretty much a roller coaster ride. Some days, like today, I am working hard to feel better. Other days, like yesterday, felt great. I've had my share of physical and mental crashes, also highs. Good news is, I've been clear since week 12 and am over half way done. How bout you?
I am 34 and I currently run about 4 miles 3x a week.  Would it be safe to do that if/when I start TX?
My levels were almost undetectable at week 4 or 8(?), now just had my 12 week bloodwork on friday, but didn't get results yet.  Will find out Tues - keeping my fingers crossed...  is it true that if your levels are undetectable for 6 months straight, they consider stopping tx earlier?  I hate to be on this longer than I have to (I'm 45), but I don't want to stop treatment prematurely if there's any chance I could get relapse easier
Depends on your geno type and many other factors. What is your geno type, your beginning viral load, biopsy results?
I am getting my BX next week.  If my liver is bad I will probably treat soon.  If my liver is good then I will probably treat soon because my doctor says I am at an age where it is good to treat.  Plus I am 3a which means I have a slightly increased chance of clearing it or something like that.  But it seems like a lot of 3a's relapse.  Either way, I am sort of eager to get going on tx.
Genotype 1, think viral load was extremely high -- 6 million -- can that be right?  Pls. excuse my ignorance -- I'm not as educated as the rest of you are about this.  My doc said my response to treatment was amazing...  my biopsy results were Stage 2 - my doc said some scarring but no cirrhosis -- (had a terrible experience w/biopsy - they hit that nerve that causes you to feel like your taking heart attack -- they also thought they punctured my lung cuz I couldn't breathe -- bad experience, but ok results...
ogreat, good advice, try to stay at your current level of excercise.
drarig, don't feel guilty. Give yourself credit for enduring.

To others that are sick, don't feel guilty either. Taking these meds can affect different people in different ways. They can deplete the chemicals in your body. For example, ribaviran and interferon slowly depletes your saratonin (?spelling). That's the I'm happy hormone.