Hepatitis C Community

fishdics consults-interesting

OK, everyone in the area of Albuquerque, Dr. Arora is the real mccoy.  I put 11 years of labwork into a spreadsheet, my list of questions, and this is the skinny.  Just to update those that don't remember, baseline 2,890,000 12 week was 38,700. His resident said "thats close enough", and I was thinking HUH UH< I have read the literature...  Dr. came in with two students, and said. You failed to achieve a 2 log drop.  If you continue the current course, you have a 5% or less chance of SVR.  However, it may be that you are not a true nonresponder, because your hemoglobin has remained virtually unchanged, which tells me you are one of less than 5% of patients that hypermetabolize ribavarin. ( he has conducted 17 clinical trials with ribavarin)  Essentially, you are on monotherapy.  Options: increase ribavarin, 6 weeks at 1400, then up to 1600 for another 6 weeks, redo the PCR.  If you are undetectible at the 12 week, you have a 65% chance of SVR.  If you fail to hit undetectible, then stop the treatment.  If I am undetecitible, my 48 weeks starts today.  If I stop, and  start again in 6 months, you start out with the same odds as this time (I wondered about that).  He also said that he has a VX-950 trial coming up for....... nonresponders.  You have to have failed to achieve a 2 log drop, and failed to hit undetectible at 24 weeks.  Starts in 6 months or a year.  So trip was well worth it.  Cops came and hauled the crazy uncle off while I was gone, man, I'm a making progress.  Thanks for all your well wishes, I could feel the vibes...
Hi, that dr sounds like the real McCoy.  That is some good info and makes you wonder how many are not non reponders. What test would prove a non reponder is a reponder?

BEAGLE
Truly sounds like you found the real Mcoy! Good luck in moving forward. I also flagged Bill 1954 as he might be interested to hear what your doctor said about riba and hemoglobin changes.

-- Jim
I think what her doctor meant is that she was a non-responder (or slow responder) but that if she ups her riba she might turn into a responder next round. But according to him, this only would occur in the minority of people who hypermetabolize riba.
also said he has about 50% of his patients on zoloft, not for depression but for the "short fuse"..... Oh yes, he also said if was undetectible on the current regime at 24 weeks, then I had about a 30-35% chance of SVR....It really made me happy that if the light at the end of the tunnel is a train, theres a clinical trial coming down the pike.... Did I see we have a GIS dude on?  Pretty interesting stuff...... saves the knees...
sounds like a plan to me. just be ready for that riba rush. how was the swim?
he said he thought I was not a "true nonresponder" because of the ribavarin absorption, so the test is if I up the ribavarin and respond, then its the ribavarin issue, so I am essentially starting treatment today, If I don't respond at 12 weeks, then I am a true nonresponder, and will qualify for the clinical trial
took 4 riba two hours ago, and my shot..can you tell by the posts.. got the last one wrong... 30-35% chance of SVR if I go 72 months on current regime, assuming I hit undetible at 24 weeks...
I know with my HGB I couldn't handle that much riba.

Thanks Jim, I realized it after I read it again.

BEAGLE
Following along with this riba absorption theory -- I imagine then he'll also be monitoring your hemoglobin (hgb) on a weekly basis in order to make sure you don't have a flat hgb curve like last time. If it remains flat, I assume then you would keep upping the riba beyond the schedule he presented, at least that is a question I would pose to him should that occur. All the best luck!

-- Jim
You did need to do something, the way you were going the odds wasn't worth the trouble. Soon you'll be like jim, wheres my riba, want my riba. You'll be guarding them with that pitchfork. You know i wish you the best

Btw jim, bet you still got your riba
FYI, these are my hemoglobin numbers  1996 on-13, 13.7, 13.5, 14.5, (baseline) 13.5, (2wk)14.6, (4wk)14.8, (8wk)13.5 (12wk)14