healthy food suggestions please discuss

problems with constant hunger and craving for mostly junk food *screams*  and when i don't eat any junk food, i stay hungry.  i need to up my vege and fiber intake more but serious, eating these raw is a bore!  and we have to avoid carrots and iron right?  
any suggestions for routine foods or simple recipes that could save me from this hunger would be graciously appreciated.

good luck everyone
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
oatmeal sounds good too. will try.  i'm not on AD and don't want to be on anymore pills.  i have a meter but scared to ***** fingers and asked my docc about blood sugar, she said that it was lower than normal which is better than hyperglycemia.  but you're right, i should test it on my own.
Helpful - 0
well apart from the snack advice, of which you've had plenty, you may need to reevalute your meds.

often patients are put on anti-depressants and not told that one possible side is intense food cravings. This is particularly true of the one I'm on, Remeron, but several others as well.

I think taking an AD very late at night helps minimize this, as does keeping water close by all day and night. I also skip one meal a day, eating only oatmeal at breakfast and a reasonable dinner...so that if I do have an impossible to get to sleep craving, I can get up and get something without it being too many calories for the day.

you may also want to try getting an inexpensive (or free, as many are offered regularly this way) blood suar meter device. Keeping an eye on your blood sugar when having cravings is a good idea while on tx since diebetes can be triggered by the tx itself. Apart from food craving, feeling and weak or starved, or excessive thirst, there aren't too many early warning signs of diebetes. Some people have no warning signs. So this is something you may just want to be aware of, or monitor to be on the safe side.

mb
Helpful - 0
just made a yogurt smoothie and it was pretty good hopefully will help with lactose intolerance.
i thought carrots were bad bc they have too much vitamin A and sweet potatoes too.  i like chicken
Helpful - 0
~~~ maybe the health course i am taking right now is leaving a conscience in my head.

I bet that's part of it.  When I study biology...I won't eat butter.  When I study chemistry it's carob that bothers me, lol!! At least until I go to the next subject.....

Right now your body is going through so much and your taste buds are off.....eat what you can tolerate.

As long as you are doing good with your labs and weight-- you will be fine.  I can relate because it is a sincere effort everytime I eat anything other than that watermelon licorice.  

But this thread has given some good suggestions so maybe we'll all get a little variety this week ; )

Take care,

Izzy

Helpful - 0
I didn't know about freezing.Mmmmmm, now I want some.
Helpful - 0
A juicer tip:

I make a week's worth of juice at a time (saves cleaning the juicer every day) and I FREEZE individual containers.  I read that freezing it retains the nutrients.  I thaw an individual serving and drink right away.
Helpful - 0
I love my juicer.If you drink right after making, you get all the nutrients.It's so expensive to make 3 small glasses of juice.
V-8 is one amazing drink.
I love to cook.My take if you Have  eaten something healthy today,be happy you had an appetite to do so.If you want something sweet, go for it if okayed by your Dr.I agree with people who said, eat when hungry.
Moderate amounts of meat, limiting red.Season, limited or no salt.Sea salt I use mostly and broil, that's healthy.Use drip pan.
Best investment was a Baby George Forman rotisserie.He paid 25.00 at the goodwill store.New but missing drip pan .We use alum foil.The best is herb and chicken rub, lemon pepper good too.
Rub extra virgin olive oil, season , cook for 80 minutes.Delicious.
I have a recipe for Christmas Fudge that is amazing.I make 10 batches every year.
Father in law has had diebeties for ten yrs.He always says, Tammy you know I live all year for your fudge on Christmas.OMG, why did that make me cry ? 2nd. time today.I had three shots...I don't cry that easy.
Tammy
Helpful - 0
Dr. D from this forum does not discourage people from eating foods with iron in them.  He simply suggests limiting red meat "as everyone should do."  So, eat whatever veggies or health food that you want and don't worry about the iron content (unless you doc told you specifically to do that).

Also, what's specifically wrong with carrots?

I have a juicer and I juice my veggies so that I'm sure to get enough.  Low Sodium V8 is another alternative.
Helpful - 0
Wow, I have never seen or tasted anything like that!  As far as I know we have no equivalent to that here in NZ.  Next time I'm in America I'll try and find some, I'm sure my mother-in-law or auntie will help me!
Helpful - 0
ditto.... but I looked it up... I've had it in Germany and Indonesia, but obviously they call it something else...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funnel_cake
Helpful - 0
I think I am missing out here, I don't know what funnel cake is!!  Yet another example of my cultural handicap :(
Helpful - 0
amen.  and amen to funnel cake Marc!
Helpful - 0
Have you considered that you may also have some Gluten intolerance?  That often goes along with Lactose intolerance as they have same protein that is hard for some people to digest.  I have it and can't eat wheat etc because it just makes my feel so "full" and bloated..  There are a lot of gluten free options out there these days as people are becoming more aware...

Also, I went through a phase on tx where whatever I ate made me feel full,  I constantly felt like a bloated sausage with skinny little legs, careering around the place.  It was just awful, but it went away as suddenly as it came. Craxy tx world!
Helpful - 0
If you garnish it with onion dip, does it count as a serving of vegetables?

Good to see you on the forum...how have you been?

jd
Helpful - 0
Batchelor casserole?

1 bag Fritos
Add ketchup to moisten
Nuke until warm

Mmmmm…..
Helpful - 0
lalapple – thanks for the further info. If you're not gaining any weight, you shouldn't worry about those eating habits. I spent two months putting maple syrup on everything. And one should never, ever, feel guilty about eating funnel cake! God put funnel cake on earth so we could all get a glimpse of life in heaven.

You're not eating so badly. I got the impression from your original post that you were eating three big macs a day. At your point in treatment, when eating is a challenge, the main thing is to absorb calories. The other folks were right. You can worry later about a healthier diet.
Helpful - 0
Hey Portann, nice post thanks!  I agree with the eating fat making you feel more satiated and I also think it's good for the skin and hair. And I luuuurve blue cheese!

lalapple, I didn't realise you are nearly 6' tall!  I am 6' tall and I weigh in at 167lbs, which gives me a BMI of 22.69.  So if you are nearly 6' and coming in at 130lbs then I would say you could eat as much as you like to satisfy your constant hunger!!

You go girl!!
Helpful - 0
wow , i am just simply inspired by you all.  thank you for all these suggestions!  

tx has made me lactose intolerant.  so i try to avoid raw veggies especially when i am eating out like my doc suggested.  and i am sad that i can no longer enjoy milk with my fiber cereal.

no weight loss so far, weight has been constant every clinic visit.  i feel like i used to eat tons of different foods before tx that i am just not really interested in anymore.  before tx, i ate less meat and more vege tried to convert to vegetarian.  now i crave junk foods fries mostly for hunger and foods that are hard to find like funnel cake.  and many credible sources do suggest that fat increases riba absorption.  and i do sleep better when i eat junk food on shot days.  but everytime after i eat junk food, i feel guilty and full.  maybe the health course i am taking right now is leaving a conscience in my head.  

not into cheesy, cake ice cream sweet foods.  eating salty foods just makes me more thirsty.  i love potatoes!  i have a tub of hummus in the fridge and try it with some veggies. no sheep please, poor sheep i like to pet them in the petting zoo.

what are the opinions on proteins like fish, and crawfish (new orleans style)?  some say that low protein diets may help the liver, some disagree

gratis!
Helpful - 0
Ohhhh....Yummm.  Bleu cheese..that's the  one.  Thanks for reposting.  

If you like hummus...here's a twist.  Try it with crackers and salsa.  Yummers.
Helpful - 0
I admire you. Not that many eighteen year olds students loaded down with coursework could simultaneously do the tx and carry on as successfully as you. I got through college eating Mae Wests. In retrospect, it was 'wrong' but cooking healthy was the last thing on my mind in those days. You're far ahead of the game compared to most of your peers.

In your journal, you mention you're eighteen, generally eat healthy, are almost six feet tall and weighed 130 pounds four months ago.

How much do you weigh now? Have you lost weight?

And what are your junk food 'screams' ?  Perhaps you're overly worried about them?

If you're already getting sufficient calories to maintain your weight, have you tried to offset your 'constant hunger' by having more water or soup? Sometimes what we think is hunger is thirst.  

Also, eating fat gives you a sense of fullness that veggies do not. Perhaps you're not getting enough fat, since your baseline weight  was 130 at almost six feet and now  may be less.

You're lucky your appetite is good. Perhaps you can visit the school clinic, which may have a dietitian available to assess your caloric intake and give you suggestions?

The important thing is to stick with tx and keep up your coursework.

It would be super to both put HCV behind you and  succeed in your school year.

I'm rooting for you, as everyone else here is.
Helpful - 0
That was (still is) my favorite - I make Good Seasons Italian with good olive oil and balsamic vinegarette, then toss in crumbled bleu cheese.  This is good on salad or on toasted bread/crostini type things.  Its also great stuffed into an avocado.  I like to snack on raw almonds - they have healthy fat and lots of fiber.  Hummous is good too, I like the one with roasted red peppers.

jd
Helpful - 0
If you could give me a list of veggies and meats you like at the moment, I will give you some recipes. I am vegetarian, but have also cooked non vegetarian food for years. I like to improvise, so anything will be fine. Just let me know if you are more into Asian or European style cooking, or both.  I have altered a whole lot of my recipes, to make cooking easy and fast, due to not having energy. I think Isobella has some easy delicious yummy recipes like taboulé etc.

hugs, marcia
Helpful - 0
My eating habits really haven't changed that much, except I do try to stay away from fast food places.  The way I eat my veggies is by eating asian food dishes.  Mostly I eat Mexican food or Asian food.  I have not totally eliminated rice, potatoes or anything like that because, I automatically eat less of them.  My wife was making a big deal and wanted to know what I was supposed to eat and all that, don't misunderstand I appreciated her concern, but I finally just said that I wasn't gonna change my eating habits until I find out more.  Meaning that I would eat everything I used to, if I get the runs from something, then I will eliminate it.lol  I hardly eat any junk food, but I do eat more popsicles and ice cream than I ever have.  As far as cakes and all that stuff, I never really had a problem with it.  Maybe I'm wrong and I should do more, but I really trust my body to call the shots.  I just started tx, so maybe I'm still in the easy to eat stage.  My first week on, I was eating tons, that stopped the following week.  I still eat more than I used to pre-tx, but I don't steadily eat junk food.  Yeah my junk food is gummi lifesavers, I still eat them, but I don't live off of them.lol    good luck
Helpful - 0
~~any suggestions for routine foods or simple recipes~~~

I took it that she was looking for some suggestions for foods or simple recipes that we could share.  

JD--didn't you once share something with feta cheese maybe some nuts and balsamic vinager...it was delicious--but I forgot what else was in it.  Any chance of you reposting it for a starving hepper, lol!!

I got a smoothie mix today and am gonna try it..Tropical Smoothie is too expensive to make a habit.

It is good to know that we don't have to avoid foods with  iron---only supplements--I believe that was another question raised initially---I was getting a little worried about all the (green) spinach (white) pizza, LOL!!

Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Hepatitis C Community