A
A
A
Close
Hepatitis C Community
13.4k Members
720656 tn?1311040235

help with mouth sores

My mouth has started to develop sores. It even feels like they are in my throat. Anyone know what will help? Thanks!
10 Responses
Here are a few I've seen others post which have helped with the mouth sores.

Carafate - usually prescribed for stomach ulcers but comes in a suspension form used for mouth ulcers.

Famvir -  usually prescribed for herpes zoster but helps with mouth ulcers caused by treatment drugs.

Magic Mouthwash - relieves pain and promotes healing

Nystatin - usually precribed for thrush but works well for mouth ulcers and healing.

Kaopectate -  over the counter - swish and spit.  Coats the mouth, relieves pain and promotes healing

Stevia Concentrate (dark liquid)  Usually found in health food or whole food stores. Several drops daily

895634 tn?1283989210
Aphthous ulcers, liuke canker sores?  try hydrogen peroxide + water 50:50 rinse and spit.  Famvir also works and pediatric oral prednisone 5ml swish and spit.

If not apthous ulcers, check with Dr.  ? thrush {consider if you have HIV) can use Mycelex troches suck on it disolves in your mouth.

Good luck.  A good night's sleep will also do wonders for you.

Robo
720656 tn?1311040235
Thanks for the recommendations. Dr prescribed the nystatin but it has not helped with healing or pain. I'll try some of the others as well. Sleep - it seems beside work that's all I do.
717272 tn?1277590780
Number 1 is to get the neutrophil count back up.  Low count is causing the sores.  Then it's a matter of healing the ones you got from the low count, since no new ones should start after the count gets brought back up.  Use mouthwash as many times a day as you can remember.  If it hurts too much to eat, they can give you an anesthetic mouth rinse (similar to magic mouthwash, which has fungicides and other stuff added to its anesthetic).  I could not swish with it before eating, numb mouth just made me bite the inside of my mouth, but I did pretty well painting it directly onto the sores with a q-tip and just numbing the worst offenders.
179856 tn?1333547362
Low neutrophils as far as I know have not been associated with the mouth sores in fact I had great neuts but had the mouth ulcers for almost all of my course of treatment.

Dr. Jacobson said that the interferon causes them in some autoimmune type reaction and that they would disappear as soon as I stopped the IFN - within two weeks the ulcers were gone.

I painted on 50/50 peroxide water and that was about the most effective things that I found to kill them off - albeit temporarily they always came back.  so, the good news is once you are off the IFN they will be gone for good.
I had low neuts, took Neupogen and did not have mouth sores, EVER.  You can't advise someone to get their neutrophil count up  when you don't know what the count is to begin with.

Mouth sores are associated with treatment the drugs and not specifically because of low neuts.  The drugs can exacerbate an exiting herpes problem,  aphthous ulcers can develop, thrush can develop.

Per my above post, there are remedies and drugs that can help.

Trinity
My neutrophils were good too and I had horrible mouth sores.
I have never seen anything which suggests an association between low neutrophils and mouth sores.

Mike
My doctor attributed them to the interferon.  I never had low neuts, but I had plenty of mouth sores.  I used a product (OTC) called Oasis, a mouth spray with glycerine to keep the tissues moist.  It helped a lot.

Good luck, try the magic mouthwash and don't worry about your neuts.  Your doctor will alert you if they go too low.  Online diagnosis (e.g., "Low count is causing the sores.") is risky and sometimes downright preposterous.
476246 tn?1418870914
On treatment: Whenever I had mouth sores starting, I used a few drops of stevia. They subsided within 2-3 days. I ended up not getting them.

Recently: I had a gum infection and used stevia, it was gone within 4 days.

I use the dark liquid. It tastes like licorice and it can sting like hell, but it really gets the job done, as it has antiviral and antibacterial properties.

I know that this might sound a little odd, but I find that most of the time it works better than prescription stuff.
720656 tn?1311040235
Thanks to all of you for your support. I will try some of the OTC's posted.
Have an Answer?
Top Hepatitis Answerers
317787 tn?1473358451
DC
683231 tn?1467323017
Auburn, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Answer a few simple questions about your Hep C treatment journey.

Those who qualify may receive up to $100 for their time.
Explore More In Our Hep C Learning Center
image description
Learn about this treatable virus.
image description
Getting tested for this viral infection.
image description
3 key steps to getting on treatment.
image description
4 steps to getting on therapy.
image description
What you need to know about Hep C drugs.
image description
How the drugs might affect you.
image description
These tips may up your chances of a cure.
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.