Aa
A
A
A
Close
Hepatitis C Community
13.4k Members

hep c and load counts

I have hep c type one -- treatment failed after 3.5 months of hell. anybody know what cronic means... or viral load counts whats high, low ..???? anyone awake
14 Responses
96938 tn?1189803458
Chronic means that a disease persits without having been cured. In hcv, the virus continues to affect your liver.  Typically, hcv is a slow moving disease that, over time, will continue to damage your liver and may adversely affect other parts of your body and other sysyems of your body. Left untreated for a long enough time can put you in deep doo-doo. As a geno 1 you should have been on track to treat (tx) for at least 48 months.  It is most likely that you did not eradicate the virus. For viral loads, under a million is low, under 5 million is medium, over 5 million is high. Tx is tough, but can be made easier by an experienced doc who uses all the 'rescue' drugs available to minimize side effects (sx).
http://hepatitis-central.com/hcv/hepatitis/loadchart.html

as said cronic is persistant. like i am a cronic complainer.
96938 tn?1189803458
Oops! Meant 48 weeks, not months.  The course for geno one would aim at 48 weeks.  Some docs, including the guy I consulted with, would look at that at a begiing point depending on response to the meds - when you become undetectable.  For example, he said for me (geno 3 relapser) if I am undetecatble at week 4, I go 48 weeks.  If not und at week 4, go 72.  But I'm sure that if I went as far as 24 without being undetectable, he'd probably say stop and go on peg maintenance to avoid futher liver involvement.  If you son stopped he may have given his liver some breathing room but probably needs to rewind from the beginning if he does tx again.  Did he have a pcr early on?
I'm a geno 1A and also a geno 1B.  Originally I was slated for the common 48 week treatment.  I do not believe a doctor would ever order anything otherwise for this genotype.

While geno 2 and 3 are presently treating for only 24 weeks.....they are finding that there are lots of relapses and perhaps in the future they will also be treating for 48 weeks.

If your son is a geno 1 and the doctor only slated him for 26 weeks of treatment...it makes no sense at all to me.  Or...did he have to stop because of some problems?

Because - all geno 1 are assigned to a 48 week course.  I hope that made sense cause to me it sounds like rambling.....it's hard sometimes on this stupid medication to get my thoughts out and today I have a very lazy brain!
The doctor must have stopped him because of the Riba problem...the internal bleeding.  If he was having problems with his bloodwork perhaps this time the doctor could monitor it and prescribe some medications to help offset the problems that arise in advance.

If he starts on a lower course of Riba dn continues it = that is better than starting higher and then CHANGING the dose midstream.  Dose REDUCTIONS are NOT advised at all.

But if he were to treat again it would definitely be a 48 week course of treatment.  That is what we have to do MINIMUM.

But now that I reread your letter I'm thinking he was just stopped early because of the problems.  It DEFINITELY GREATLY hurt his chances of SVR to stop so early.

I was slated for the 48 and now have been extended to 72 full weeks of treatment.

So you can see - it's much better to go LONG than stop early.
was this the second time he treated?  did he do the common interferon/riba BEFORE he was on Infergen?  From what I understand Infergen is much harder to tolerate than the regular Interferon.

Maybe that is why he only did 26 weeks.

Interferon is once a week - and infergen can be every day.

Did the docs give him the "easier" drug first and he was non-responsive to that?
Have an Answer?
Top Hepatitis Answerers
317787 tn?1473362051
DC
683231 tn?1467326617
Auburn, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Answer a few simple questions about your Hep C treatment journey.

Those who qualify may receive up to $100 for their time.
Explore More In Our Hep C Learning Center
image description
Learn about this treatable virus.
image description
Getting tested for this viral infection.
image description
3 key steps to getting on treatment.
image description
4 steps to getting on therapy.
image description
What you need to know about Hep C drugs.
image description
How the drugs might affect you.
image description
These tips may up your chances of a cure.
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.